Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:49 PM   #1
csanchez635
macrumors newbie

Tips on charging the new iPad mini

Some just got a new iPad Mini and I've been really confused on the proper way of charging it. I know that you'll need to calibrate it once every month (running it down to the point that it turns itself off and charging it back up to 100%.) My question what is the desired battery percentage does my ipad need to reach before I charge it again? Or should I always run it down to 0% and charge it? Another question is should I immediately unplug the charger when my ipad reaches 100%????

PLEASE IF SOMEONE CAN ANSWER MY QUESTIONS, IM VERY CONFUSED. I DON'T WANT MY IPAD TO END UP LIKE MY IPOD TOUCH 4G....
csanchez635 is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:09 AM   #2
Che Castro
macrumors 601

You charge it every night if you use it a lot
If is at 20% before you go to bed you are a power user

If is 50% or up it can last you another day without charging it

I just charge mine every night , 100% every morning

Once in a while is good to let the battery run down to zero , and is fine to leave it plugged in after it reaches 100%
Che Castro is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:10 AM   #3
flavr
macrumors 6502

You are correct, run it all the way down once a month then charge all the way to 100% just don't leave it charged at 100% too long...unplug when it hits 100

Between those times it's good to charge whenever you are able, doesn't matter percentage. But don't run it under 10% between those once a month 0%-100% charging times...
flavr is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:20 AM   #4
Docd62
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanchez635 View Post
Some just got a new iPad Mini and I've been really confused on the proper way of charging it. I know that you'll need to calibrate it once every month (running it down to the point that it turns itself off and charging it back up to 100%.) My question what is the desired battery percentage does my ipad need to reach before I charge it again? Or should I always run it down to 0% and charge it? Another question is should I immediately unplug the charger when my ipad reaches 100%????

PLEASE IF SOMEONE CAN ANSWER MY QUESTIONS, IM VERY CONFUSED. I DON'T WANT MY IPAD TO END UP LIKE MY IPOD TOUCH 4G....
There is no desired percent. Just charge it when ever you want. The batteries don't have a memory like the old style did. They have approximately 400 full cycle charges before they degrade. Which means that from 80% to 100% 5 times equals one full cycle charge. You want to run them down to zero about once a month for calibration so the meter in upper right is correct.
Docd62 is offline   1
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:22 AM   #5
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

Insert cord into ipad to charge.. But seriously just charge when you want batteries are good now. And if you have issues take it to apple after close to a year and get a new battery
cheezeit is offline   1
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:25 AM   #6
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Has anybody gone from 100% charge in the morning to the ipad mini turning off zero by night ?

That only happened to me once & it was because I was watching a lot of videos , plus regular usage
Che Castro is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:34 AM   #7
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

I don't think the iPad line needs to be trained initially like the other posters say. I agree with the person saying charge however you like. Apple has information in their support pages on taking care of your battery, check it out sometime (they do state to do a once a month rundown).
mpayne2k is offline   2
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:49 AM   #8
cruzmisl
macrumors member

Basically, don't run it down to 0 often, or run it down and leave it dead for a period of time. This kills the battery more than anything else.

I have an ipad1 from 2010 and its still in great shape.
cruzmisl is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:09 AM   #9
susa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
I don't think the iPad line needs to be trained initially like the other posters say. I agree with the person saying charge however you like. Apple has information in their support pages on taking care of your battery, check it out sometime (they do state to do a once a month rundown).
Thank you. I've been meaning to ask because unlike the typical mini, mine mostly just stays plugged in all that time, same as my laptops, and I occasionally get concerned although have not had any battery problems in about a decade of going Apple. Will begin the monthly rundown to ensure continued luck.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:53 AM   #10
Jman13
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Has anybody gone from 100% charge in the morning to the ipad mini turning off zero by night ?

That only happened to me once & it was because I was watching a lot of videos , plus regular usage
The most I've ever used in a day was running down to 22%. That was like 11 hours of usage. I generally charge every 2 days during the week. On weekends, I use my ipad a lot, so it's generally at 40% or so, and I'll charge it overnight.
Jman13 is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Google "Battery University". They have everything you need to know about Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries.

After reading Battery University, I'm of the opinion that the best way to maximize battery lifespan is to run it down to between 30% and 20% and then charge it up to 90%. Then, once every four months, charge it to 100%, use it normally until you completely drain the battery to 0%, then charge it back up to 100%. That will calibrate the software to the battery.
Breaking Good is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:13 AM   #12
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
...just don't leave it charged at 100% too long...unplug when it hits 100
Not true at all.
ZipZap is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:02 AM   #13
BittenApple
macrumors 6502a

What Apple has to say about charging your iPad
BittenApple is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:06 AM   #14
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
You are correct, run it all the way down once a month then charge all the way to 100% just don't leave it charged at 100% too long...unplug when it hits 100

Between those times it's good to charge whenever you are able, doesn't matter percentage. But don't run it under 10% between those once a month 0%-100% charging times...
The OP should ignore 100% of your post.
kodeman53 is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:33 AM   #15
maflynn

Quote:
I never run my batteries down all the way on my iPad, iPhone or MBP. AFAIK, battery life is measured by charge cycles, and running it down for the sake of running it down just incurs charge cycles and shortens the lifespan.
maflynn is online now   0
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:19 AM   #16
iPhysicist
macrumors 6502a

I use my iPad 3 every day at university and I use it up to 10 hours a day. I don't care about charging cycles and I'm fine. The iPads battery is designed to work without you thinking about charging voodoo stuff.
Plug it in every night and you have 100% in the morning. Thats all you need to know. The battery will die at one time but you neither are able to tell when nor to elongate its life drastically by charging voodoo.
iPhysicist is offline   1
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:34 PM   #17
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Some just got a new iPad Mini and I've been really confused on the proper way of charging it.
As always:
http://apple.com/batteries

This wheel doesn't need to be reinvented every single time someone thinks it's a brand new question.

Quote:
I DON'T WANT MY IPAD TO END UP LIKE MY IPOD TOUCH 4G....
What happened to it?

What happened to your caps lock? Stop shouting.
takeshi74 is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:52 PM   #18
Electcon

Quote:
you are correct, run it all the way down once a month then charge all the way to 100% just don't leave it charged at 100% too long...unplug when it hits 100
why?
Electcon is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:28 AM   #19
flavr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Not true at all.
see below

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
The OP should ignore 100% of your post.
see below

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electcon View Post
why?
See here:

http://thehowto.wikidot.com/prolong-...espan-for-ipad
flavr is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:51 AM   #20
iPhysicist
macrumors 6502a

You call THAT a source?
iPhysicist is offline   1
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:59 AM   #21
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhysicist View Post
You call THAT a source?
Well who can argue with genius insights like this one:

"Do not overcharge iPad. Overcharging iPad by leaving it charging for the whole night shortens the battery lifespan."

From now on, I'm setting an alarm to wake me up to unplug my iPad.
poloponies is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:39 PM   #22
flavr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhysicist View Post
You call THAT a source?
Do you have a source?
flavr is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:47 PM   #23
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Do you have a source?
http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html
poloponies is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:18 PM   #24
Electcon

Quote:
Do you have a source?
That's the entire point.

What you said goes against everything that Apple says. It goes against all the common knowledge of this line of technology.

When you were asked for a source, you gave a link to a website containing some guy's opinions without a single valid source. It's just a bunch of bologna.

You are wrong. Please admit the fact that you were wrong, edit your post as to not knowingly promoting misinformation, and back out of the thread.
Electcon is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:28 PM   #25
flavr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electcon View Post
That's the entire point.

What you said goes against everything that Apple says. It goes against all the common knowledge of this line of technology.

When you were asked for a source, you gave a link to a website containing some guy's opinions without a single valid source. It's just a bunch of bologna.

You are wrong. Please admit the fact that you were wrong, edit your post as to not knowingly promoting misinformation, and back out of the thread.
hahaha, back out of the thread?!....

read this on Macrumors (see below)...Apple explains how at 100% the battery is set up to discharge a bit then recharge in a cycle...guess what that does overtime? It affects battery life LONG TERM by using up small incremental cycles while its plugged in every night. It might be small but matters more and more over time. Batteries only have so many charge cycles, and using these up are cumulative..

so someone who leaves it charged every night for 2 years at 100% is going to burn up battery cycles faster than someone who charges to 100% and unplugs...simple concept

back out of thread...hahaha, you crack me up!! thank you, i needed a laugh today

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/27/...battery-level/

Last edited by flavr; Jan 15, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
flavr is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland