Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickharris1992

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
California
I was wondering if anybody had a recomendation on what Airplay printer I should get for printing from my iPhone and iPad?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
What do you need from the printer? B&w, colour, photo???

Best bet is to look at what you need and decide the cost factor of refills rather than brand.

B&W - laser printer
Colour - Lexmark (cheapest refil cost at the mo)
Photo - hp or Epsom both produce nice results but refills can be costly

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I have this same delima, need to upgrade from my old all in one wired printer.
I was at Target yesterday and was totally clueless since its been at least five years since I bought my last printer..

@Gav2k - is their a particular goto Hp / Epson /Lexmark printer that works best with apple?

Most says either Airprint or e-print does that mean they all will print from my apple device or is one better suited for this than the other :confused:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I've used HP's p1102w Laserjet and had very good results. Of course it's only B&W, but that's what was needed.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I don't know what to recommend but I can tell you unequivocally what NOT to get! I bought an HP PHOTOSMART 5514 last summer for the air print function. I wanted the HP Envy but didn't want to spend the money. Big mistake, huge!

The Photosmart series has enormous problems with Air Print. So much so that there is a "fix" page on HP's support site. The only way to get my iPad or iPhone to connect is to shut down the printer, power cycle the router, turn on the printer and only then will the idevices see the printer. It's a malfunction in the wireless capability. I have to do this every time I need to print something. I have given up and just email things to print from my pc laptop which sees the printer just fine. It's one huge PITA!

If you find something that works, let me know :)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I was wondering if anybody had a recomendation on what Airplay printer I should get for printing from my iPhone and iPad?
For any recommendation you need to supply your criteria. No decision making process like this ever has one-size-fits-all answers. Best is always highly subjective no matter what the topic.

Personally, I went with pairing the xPrintServer with my existing printer. My printer is very reliable and has very low per page costs since it's laser. It can actually be repaired as well. Most inkjets (and even some laser printers) these days are just disposable printers with overpriced ink cartridges.

Don't overlook prior threads as well.
https://www.google.com/search?q=air...&sugexp=chrome,mod=3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

AmyK

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
I bought a Canon MG 5320. I needed to upgrade and I liked my last canon printer so I got this one because of the air print... I love it!!!

I think the brand of printer is all personal preference.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I bought a Canon MG 5320. I needed to upgrade and I liked my last canon printer so I got this one because of the air print... I love it!!!

I think the brand of printer is all personal preference.

That's the exact printer I have. It works flawlessly across a wide range of PCs and iOS devices. Very happy.

psirix

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009
Detroit, MI
I have the HP Envy 114; I don't do a high volume of printing but the device has worked great and never had one issue with AirPrint.

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
My parents have a garbage Lexmark printer that has been giving them trouble for years and doesn't like to wireless print with Macs. They have asked me to help them pick a new one for them and Dad wants one with AirPrint.

What devices will be using it: MacBook Pros, iPhone 4, 4S, and 5, Windows PC, and potentially an iPad in the near future.

What it needs to do: AirPrint, Color print, Photo print, Scan, Copy, AND Fax.

Note: Fax is a must have since they are Real Estate agents and fax documents quite often.

They are not very brand specific other than no more Lexmark and hesitant with Brother since they have one at the office that they find to not be very user friendly. My parents are not very technology literate so user friendliness is important.

So any recommendations from the community?

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I own an HP PhotoSmart 6520 (formally known as the PhotoSmart Premium) and I really love it. You can find deals on the genuine cartridges most of the time (trade-in the old one for 50% off), also the second tray for photo paper is really nice. The quality of both B/W and color is pretty good, no complaints there.
WiFi works nicely with a strong signal, it also has WDS so you can set it up with the push of a button on the router (where supported). The new design is sleeker than last year's model, too, and it does duplex printing (both sides of a page) if you choose to.
Due to the integrated touch screen, it's as easy to operate as it gets, also swapping the cartridges is easy, just open the flap and the cartridges slide towards the center, ready to be changed.
It works with the iPhone and iPad just like it should and offers the same great quality as it does on the Mac.
ayGwn.jpg

The PhotoSmart 6520 does support the online eFax service, but is limited to 20 incoming and 20 outgoing free faxes per month. If you need an AIO with an actual fax that connects to the phone line, there's also the HP PhotoSmart 7520, which does everything the 6520 does, plus fax and it also has an automatic 25-page feed for scanning, copying and faxing.
vKgOt.jpg

Last edited:

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
We were in the same predicament of needing a printer that could print, scan, copy and fax. We ended up getting the HP Officejet 6700. We have had it for less than a week and have already used 1/4 of the black ink which was for approximately 60 pages. I really like the printer, but I'm worried that its going to eat through the ink fast.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
All the Printers are cheap.. What you will pay mostly for is the ink. I suggest Canon if you are printing photos.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
The Epson Expression Home XP-400 and the Canon PIXMA MG3220 are on sale right now and are the two least expensive printers with AirPrint.
AllThingsD said:
If you’re looking for a speedier, slightly larger printer that cranks out pretty photos, the Canon Pixma MG3220 might be the better option for you. But if you need a compact, super-simple printer for your personal documents and the occasional photo, the Epson Expression XP-400 has given me one of the most pain-free printer experiences I’ve had in a long time.
81xZTLkp2hL._AA1500_.jpg
71EGuctJ8SL._AA1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I am using this printer also, very happy with it, good price, good results and it "just works"

I have experience with this same HP LaserJet Pro 1102w. But mixed results.

The Airprint support actually supports the iPad and iPhones seamlessly. Connected to a WiFi network, all the iPads/iPhones instantly recognize this printer. No problem.

The PROBLEM comes when you try to print from a MacOSX Mac running Mountain Lion. HP Tech Support states that they are releasing a new set of drivers and giving it to Apple to incorporate into the next update of MacOSX (maybe the next patch of Mtn Lion).

The HP Tech Support Page for Mountain Lion and LaserJet 1102w issues here:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-Pr...mp-Mountain-Lion-Wireless/td-p/1931883/page/2

HP Tech Support says:
New drivers for Mountain Lion have been created and shared with Apple to make them available via the Apple Software Update. Those are now beeing reviewed by Apple and hopefully will be released soon.

Otherwise the P1102w is a fantastic laser printer. Great cheap price, sharp no-nonsense (and compact) laser printer.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
On an unrelated note, why doesn't apple make the airport express airprint compatible?

I'd assume they would, but it's probably up to the printer manufacturers. It's not like Apple is making money when we go buy a Canon or an HP. (Wait, it's possible they are if Canon or HP has to pay for licensing AirPrint.)

But, I totally get what you're saying. You'd think it would be as easy as just plugging in a printer to any AEBS and printing wirelessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.