Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
there is a solution to the AC3 problem in which 8player has successfully incorporated into their product. Just allow the end user to download the ffmpeg zip file and let us add it to the goodplayer directory via itunes.

This is what 8player has done and it has been approved in the app store because its the end user who decides whether they get ac3 and not the developer. There is a thread about this in the Ipad apps forum. Please incorporate this into your product.

Just posted another update ( https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1500211/ ). Please, everybody suffering from the AC-3 removal problem, join the discussion there - and spread the word elsewhere. This is an issue where (as I've stated in the just-posted update) Apple themselves should try to make Dolby reconsider their ridiculously unrealistic demands.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
MP4/MOV/M4V hardware decoding is the fastest way.
Decoding of video and audio streams separately is possible, it will be slower than MP4/MOV/M4V hardware decoding.

Is it possible to do decoding of video and audio streams separately? If yes, you can use Apple API for hardware decoding of video and amplify audio with software decoding.

kolepard

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
GoodPlayer 5.7 ipa

@hustmobile

Is there any chance the GoodPlayer 5.7 ipa could be posted on your home page so I could acquire it there?

I purchased GoodPlayer and PowerPlayer, but don't have the 5.7 version of GoodPlayer. I don't want to try to find a copy of it at an illegitimate source (I used to make my living as a programmer, so don't pirate software) but as I've purchased it, if I could get a copy from the you as the developer directly, that seems like it would be aboveboard.

Glad to hear that you're looking in to implementing an 8player type solution, too.

I'd be happy to provide the iTunes receipts as proof of purchase, too. Thanks for at least considering it, and thanks for participating on the forum here.

Kevin

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
@hustmobile

Is there any chance the GoodPlayer 5.7 ipa could be posted on your home page so I could acquire it there?

I purchased GoodPlayer and PowerPlayer, but don't have the 5.7 version of GoodPlayer. I don't want to try to find a copy of it at an illegitimate source (I used to make my living as a programmer, so don't pirate software) but as I've purchased it, if I could get a copy from the you as the developer directly, that seems like it would be aboveboard.

Won't really work as IPA's are signed - you just can't use IPAs you haven't purchased with your own account. The only way they could provide you with an IPA is by registering your device UUID with them. Then, they could build an IPA for you. However, the number of registrations is pretty limited so I don't think they can help you either.

kolepard

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Won't really work as IPA's are signed - you just can't use IPAs you haven't purchased with your own account. The only way they could provide you with an IPA is by registering your device UUID with them. Then, they could build an IPA for you. However, the number of registrations is pretty limited so I don't think they can help you either.

Menneisyys2: Good point. Code signing wasn't done in my day, and I had forgotten that iOS required signed code, and I'm not ready to jailbreak my phone. Thanks for replying.

Here's hoping an 8player type solution is forthcoming.

Kevin

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer 6.1 released*

What's New in Version 6.1
Notice: no AC-3/E-AC-3/TrueHD audio support! Backup older version before upgrading

1 Camera Roll video playback supported (GoodPlayer-->Bottom Right button-->Camera Roll)

2 HTTPS downloading supported

https://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/goodplayer/id416756729?mt=8

----------

The 8player method comes with some legal issues, we will wait and see first.

Any progress on incorporating the 8player method for ac3 audio?

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
For those app users that they are the iOS developers too, please check iReSign or iModSign.

https://github.com/maciekish/iReSign

http://imodsign.com/

iReSign allows iDevice app bundles (.ipa) files to be signed or resigned with a digital certificate from Apple for distribution. This tool is aimed at enterprises users, for enterprise deployment, when the person signing the app is different than the person(s) developing it.

@hustmobile

Glad to hear that you're looking in to implementing an 8player type solution, too.

I'd be happy to provide the iTunes receipts as proof of purchase, too. Thanks for at least considering it, and thanks for participating on the forum here.

Kevin

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Important notice:
DTS audio support will be removed from next GoodPlayer 6.2 version due to patent reasons!

wake1

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
I'm having trouble resuming the playing of mp4 files. Is there a way I can resume the playing? Everytime I quit the app it goes back to the start of the film again. It seems to happen with every video type I use. I have the app on my iphone 4. Many thanks for any help.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Please turn off iPod plugin, and turn on Hardware Decoding. The resume should work. Also please note that resume is only for local playback, not for network streaming.

I'm having trouble resuming the playing of mp4 files. Is there a way I can resume the playing? Everytime I quit the app it goes back to the start of the film again. It seems to happen with every video type I use. I have the app on my iphone 4. Many thanks for any help.

wake1

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Please turn off iPod plugin, and turn on Hardware Decoding. The resume should work. Also please note that resume is only for local playback, not for network streaming.

Thanks for replying. I've tried what you have said and it still doesn't work. Any other ideas?

Jrsforums

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
Bookmark

Hust, am I missing something or is there no way to bookmark where you are, stop the video (mp4) and restart at the same point?

Thanks, John

Nevermind...found it....sorry

Last edited:

mtagliaf

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
goodplayer exits to home screen after playlist

I have the following url link on a web page:

<a href='goodplayer://http://somewebsite.com/dev/playlist.m3u'>m3u playlist</a><br /><br />

When I click on this link from my iPhone, Goodplayer opens and plays the playlist exactly as I want. When the playlist is over, the iPhone exits to the home screen. Is there a way I can have it exit back to the app I was running before (in this case, Safari, which is where I clicked the link)?

SK12.06

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2013
goodplayer

1-i bought goodplayer and it was perfect, after upgrade it for some video the sound doesn't work, did anyone face the same problem or any knows how to solve it?
2- how to upload movies from goodplayer to mac
thanks

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
1-i bought goodplayer and it was perfect, after upgrade it for some video the sound doesn't work, did anyone face the same problem or any knows how to solve it?

1. You should have been following my articles - I've long before the update warned users NOT to upgrade to keep AC3 support intact.

2. from inside GoodPlayer / without converting your videos, you can't. The possible solutions are:

- convert your videos; in most cases, a simple remux (via Subler) will do.
- use an AC3-capable player; for example, AVPlayerHD.

2- how to upload movies from goodplayer to mac
thanks

Via iTunes File Sharing. Do you want to save files you've downloaded from, say, Web sites from inside GoodPlayer?

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
What's New in Version 6.3
Notice: no DTS/AC-3/E-AC-3/TrueHD audio support! Back up older version before upgrading
1 GoodPlayer now can work as a DLNA/UPnP server, click the "Wi-Fi" button of the GoodPlayer, the DLNA/UPnP server will be up and running
2 For SMB/UPnP/WebDAV/FTP/SFTP clients, add a "Single Click to Play" setting
3 New app icon, thanks to Daniel Balazs again

----------

In some cases, it will work. Please check the following information.

For the 3rd party apps, GoodPlayer supports goodplayer://http://www.example.com/track.mp3?appCallback=otherapp://command format URL scheme, so after the file playback in GoodPlayer, the 3rd party app can be called back

I have the following url link on a web page:

<a href='goodplayer://http://somewebsite.com/dev/playlist.m3u'>m3u playlist</a><br /><br />

When I click on this link from my iPhone, Goodplayer opens and plays the playlist exactly as I want. When the playlist is over, the iPhone exits to the home screen. Is there a way I can have it exit back to the app I was running before (in this case, Safari, which is where I clicked the link)?

----------

Sorry, now more ideas why this issue happened.

Thanks for replying. I've tried what you have said and it still doesn't work. Any other ideas?

----------

AC3 Killer can detect all AC3 movies and convert the audio compatible with most movie players on iPhone/iPad Such as OPlayer, GoodPlayer, GPlayer, AcePlayer, 8Player

https://github.com/ac3killer/AC3-Killer

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer 6.4 released.

What's New in Version 6.4

1 UPnP/SMB/WebDAV client now generates the m3u playlist according to the sorting criteria
2 UPnP/SMB/WebDAV client adds a new "Play All" button to play the folder, or you can still click the blue arrow icon to play the folder

yousifabdullah

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
Thanks for the update Hust!

While the audio problems still exist, I found a new app on the App Store called EVGPlayer. It says it supports AC3, MKV and the UI looks nice. Universal app for 0,89€. Has anyone tried it? I believe it's only a matter of time before AC3 support is removed from that app as well, but it may be worth a shot.

I'm still holding on to GoodPlayer for the DLNA capabilities, though. Hopefully there's a legal and affordable way to bring AC3 support to it in the future. :/

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks for the update Hust!

While the audio problems still exist, I found a new app on the App Store called EVGPlayer. It says it supports AC3, MKV and the UI looks nice. Universal app for 0,89€. Has anyone tried it? I believe it's only a matter of time before AC3 support is removed from that app as well, but it may be worth a shot.

Thanks for the heads-up; purchased it. I'll report back with a full review very soon.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks for the heads-up; purchased it. I'll report back with a full review very soon.

Very poor, not recommended. Go for something better; for example, the existing (1.10) version of nPlayer is WAAAAY better in every respect (HW acceleration, subtitle / streaming / container support etc).

Just some specific thoughts:

H.264 decoder: not the fastest (unlike, say, AVPlayerHD, nPlayer etc.)
MKV decoding: software-only; this, along with the not state-of-the-art H.264 decoder, also means playback of even standard-bitrate (about 10 Mbps) videos (e.g., the Monsters one http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/h264_1080p_hp_4.1_10mbps_dts_unstyled_subs_monsters.mkv ) aren't played back flawlessly on not even the latest-gen, fastest devices (iPad 4, iPhone 5), let alone slower ones. On the latter, 1080 MKV playback is plain useless.
MTS / AVI decoding: software-only

Codec support:
DTS, AC3 are both properly supported
So are OGG, mp3 etc.

Subtitle support:
Nope

Container support:

ATSC 1080i60: tolerable (as opposed to DVB, at least it's 16:9), no scrubbing
DVB TS: very poor: 4:3 only, no scrub (no subs)

NOTE: retina support on both iPhones and iPads must be manually enabled!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.