Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I don't really care about the looks of he hardware.

I want a OS that works well. I prefer iOS over Android, so no contest for me.

-t

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
With at&t you can keep your unlimited data plan if you upgrade. Just upgraded 5 phones (2x iPhone 5 & 3x Note 2) and kept all unlimited plans.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The last photo is actually a Sony Xperia Z, and it most likely will be available on AT&T in March/April. I do think the iPhone 5 has SERIOUS competition this year. People will be very tempted by 5" 1080p screens.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Haha zing! Very true.

I wasn't actually trying to zing anyone, just the comment about any phone looking vanilla on the front is silly. I mean how vanilla is this?

300466-apple-iphone-5-front.jpg

Vanilla? Yes. Good looking? Yes. Looks like everything else? Yea, that too.

What else does someone want? What else could there actually be? It's a black rectangle with a home button. Just like a million other phones. What other design could there be? A round phone? Maybe a pyramid shaped phone? No, the shape and design makes sense. Hell, before we had cell phones all phones had the same basic shape and all had their number buttons laid out the same.

Some camps on here criticize android hand sets for having soft keys while at the same time saying the iphone should ditch the home button. What will it have then? A magic connection to your brain that tells it to wake up? No, it will have a friggin soft key.:confused:

snowboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
With at&t you can keep your unlimited data plan if you upgrade. Just upgraded 5 phones (2x iPhone 5 & 3x Note 2) and kept all unlimited plans.

So you think I can upgrade my iPhone to that shiny new Sony Z
and be able to keep my plan? That would be amazing, will call AT&T
right away to ask. The plan was the original iPhone plan,
so I'm still doubtful as it was sold with iPhones only....
Sorry, but that Sony smokes the iPhone on every level.
And trying to say iOS is better than anything is simply stupid.
iPhone OS is garbage, I hate it to the point of hating using the iPhone.
All the apps are useless as there is no simple way to store and access
files. Using iTunes to transfer simple files to my iPhone is the most
moronic Apple idea ever. Hopefully they are really waking up
with their pants way down.
90% of all iPhone users I know are thinking about switching.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I wasn't actually trying to zing anyone, just the comment about any phone looking vanilla on the front is silly. I mean how vanilla is this?

Vanilla? Yes. Good looking? Yes. Looks like everything else? Yea, that too.

What else does someone want? What else could there actually be? It's a black rectangle with a home button. Just like a million other phones. What other design could there be? A round phone? Maybe a pyramid shaped phone? No, the shape and design makes sense. Hell, before we had cell phones all phones had the same basic shape and all had their number buttons laid out the same.

Some camps on here criticize android hand sets for having soft keys while at the same time saying the iphone should ditch the home button. What will it have then? A magic connection to your brain that tells it to wake up? No, it will have a friggin soft key.:confused:

I'd prefer a capacitive button or on screen button. Could be completely software on screen. Home button could be swipe from the bottom. Etc etc.

You act that your lack of imagination means there's no alternative.

Sincerely,
A 4S owner with a dying home button

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
So you think I can upgrade my iPhone to that shiny new Sony Z
and be able to keep my plan?
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to keep it. I've had it since I got my first iPhone (3G) and was able to keep it when I upgraded to a Samsung Captivate, switched back to an iPhone 4, and still with my S3. They had to 'swap' it to an LTE plan, but it's still $30/month and unlimited.

06Q8n.png

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I'd prefer a capacitive button or on screen button. Could be completely software on screen. Home button could be swipe from the bottom. Etc etc.

You act that your lack of imagination means there's no alternative.

Sincerely,
A 4S owner with a dying home button

Like I said, there are already phones with capacitive buttons. Where does my lack of imagination come into this? You either have a physical button or a capacitive button/area, or both.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
When you say "All these Android phones" - Which ones are you comparing?

As for "Super dated" - What about ios?! Still looks exactly the same as it did 6 years ago!

I think apple are anything but safe when it comes to iphones. Nokia & RIM spring to mind.

Exactly the same you say?

iPhone-OS-1-vs-iOS-6.png

Internaut

macrumors 65816
iPhone is alive and well

And there are plenty of people out there who don't want to upgrade their phones via Samsung Keis (having done it a couple of times, I call them sensible) or wait on their carrier for features they want now. Apple needs to answer the big screen and widget brigades (as a techie, I love both), but it has time.

To put things into perspective, my none techie dad spent the afternoon getting his replacement PS3 working and wanted to know why it couldn't be like his iPad. And Sony isn't all that bad!

Is expecting a significant device OS upgrade to simply arrive, happen and work perfectly with zero effort on the part of the owner really dated? Having updated my S3 to Jelly Bean (superb when you've got it BTW), Apple's approach looks a bit bleeding edge to me.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
OMG, those images shows just how dated iOS is. Apple couldn't even bother to update icons with a more modern look.

1) some of them have changed.
2) why change everything? They look fine and they're just going to confuse people by changing the icons. What's the point in that...

Change for the sake of change is stupid.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The iPhone isn't outdated, far from it, and iOS has evolved since it was introduced. I mean, come on, we didn't have FaceTime, the notification center, a gyroscope, GPS, the App Store, or even that great of a camera on the 2G.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
When you say "All these Android phones" - Which ones are you comparing?

As for "Super dated" - What about ios?! Still looks exactly the same as it did 6 years ago!

I think apple are anything but safe when it comes to iphones. Nokia & RIM spring to mind.

Funny how something that LOOkS like what it was 6 years ago is still the benchmark for other companies to compare themselves too. :rolleyes:
4 years old and Android reviews are still promising no lag this time ! :eek:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Ios has changed and improved of course. But not at the speed or effectiveness as android. If you want to compare pictures of old Ios vs now Ios and call that innovation or evolution or whatever compliment, imagine pictures of old android vs now android; what would you call that then?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Ios has changed and improved of course. But not at the speed or effectiveness as android. If you want to compare pictures of old Ios vs now Ios and call that innovation or evolution or whatever compliment, imagine pictures of old android vs now android; what would you call that then?

To be fair Android desperately needed a facelift before Honeycomb. It hasn't changed much since then, just slight tweaks (could use another overhaul, IMO).

iOS was better-looking out of the gate, and I still think it's the better-looking OS in most regards (aside from the egregious Game Center). But Google is definitely improving and willing to improve, unlike Apple. Matias Duarte seems committed to polishing up and enhancing the software design, which makes me more hopeful for Android's future than iOS's, in that department.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
To be fair Android desperately needed a facelift before Honeycomb. It hasn't changed much since then, just slight tweaks (could use another overhaul, IMO).

iOS was better-looking out of the gate, and I still think it's the better-looking OS in most regards (aside from the egregious Game Center). But Google is definitely improving and willing to improve, unlike Apple. Matias Duarte seems committed to polishing up and enhancing the software design, which makes me more hopeful for Android's future than iOS's, in that department.

What over haul do you want android to have?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
From a look standpoint iOS has not changed much, but from a feature standpoint it does with each new 1.0 update

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
From a look standpoint iOS has not changed much, but from a feature standpoint it does with each new 1.0 update

Again what makes android then from a features stand point? Android still has more flexibility and features at this given time. If you can say ios improving enough by saying it adds features then what is android doing? Likewise what is touch wiz doing, which now has more features than stock Android?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.