Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avillabon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
My dad recently got the iphone 5 and the ipad 4. The charger for the ipad 4 is much larger than the one for the iphone 5. He wants to carry only on charger in his work briefcase... is the charger for the ipad 4 the same as the one for the iphone 5? or vice versa?..

Thanks

Alex

thriftykid

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Pretty sure the iPad charger is 12w, and the iPhone is only 5w. It would take a lot longer for the iphone charger to charge the iPad. However, you can use the iPad charger to charge the iphone. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, this is just off the top of my head.

avillabon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Pretty sure the iPad charger is 12w, and the iPhone is only 5w. It would take a lot longer for the iphone charger to charge the iPad. However, you can use the iPad charger to charge the iphone. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, this is just off the top of my head.

That exactly is my doubt.. even though the ipad one is "stronger" i can use it on the iphone without risking damaging it?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apples web site confirms the larger 12w iPad charger is indeed compatible with iPhones.

I use my iPad 4 charger to recharge my iPhone 5 frequently. I like how much faster it charges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.