Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dexum175

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
United States
I want to buy a Mac Pro and so I've been looking at Apple's website, they have 3 types of Macs..

Quad-Core - One 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor ($2,499)
Server - One 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor ($2,999)
12-Core - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processors ($3,799)

I think I'll buy either the Quad-Core or the Server,... BUT anyone know any big differences between the Quad-Core and the Server? What makes the Server Mac Pro a "server"? Now I'm kinda indecisive [not buying the 12-core due to it's price] :(

Jake0604

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
I want to buy a Mac Pro and so I've been looking at Apple's website, they have 3 types of Macs..

Quad-Core - One 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor ($2,499)
Server - One 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor ($2,999)
12-Core - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processors ($3,799)

I think I'll buy either the Quad-Core or the Server,... BUT anyone know any big differences between the Quad-Core and the Server? What makes the Server Mac Pro a "server"? Now I'm kinda indecisive [not buying the 12-core due to it's price] :(

All the Mac Pro Server Has is 2Gb of more ram, an extra HDD, and Server.App preinstalled. All of this can be had easily without paying apple the extra $500.

dexum175

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
United States
All the Mac Pro Server Has is 2Gb of more ram, an extra HDD, and Server.App preinstalled. All of this can be had easily without paying apple the extra $500.

Very true, one thing I just noticed.. the Mac Pro Server supports up to 64GB of ram and the Quad does not? Or do both support 64GB's? :confused:

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Don't forget you can also modify those three types. For example, you can select a single 6-core CPU instead of quad core.

Also, don't overlook the refurbished section of Apple's website. I always look there first, and hope never to buy "brand new" from Apple again.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
If you're segmenting these by CPU, then there are 3: Quad Core, 6-core, and 2x6-core. The quad core is a Nehalem, and the 6-core is Westmere (Intel architectures). Depending on what you plan to do, the 6-core could easily be faster than the dual CPU. But it's a "server" - no graphics card.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Very true, one thing I just noticed.. the Mac Pro Server supports up to 64GB of ram and the Quad does not? Or do both support 64GB's? :confused:

Both support up to 32GB. The 64GB option is listed on the server purchase page because you can change it to a dual-CPU option. If you add it to the cart with a dual-CPU memory choice it will announce the error.

dexum175

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
United States
Woah, thanks a lot guys, will see!

----------

You guys happen to know if a new Mac Pro will be out this year? I have an iMac 27 but It's not powerful enough for my use, if so.. you think I should wait or just go for one now?

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Woah, thanks a lot guys, will see!

----------

You guys happen to know if a new Mac Pro will be out this year? I have an iMac 27 but It's not powerful enough for my use, if so.. you think I should wait or just go for one now?

Well, Tim Cook hinted at a new MP possibly for this year...

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Those processors are powerful but old. I'm pretty sure the current advice is to postpone until the CPU and GPU's are updated, but if you need it soon then by all means get one!

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Well, Tim Cook hinted at a new MP possibly for this year...

What Tim Cook said last year was...

Tim Cook said:
Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year.

I'll be surprised if that doesn't turn into a new Mac Pro this year. Although I suspect it might not be quite as Pro as the current model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.