Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Converter Needed for .wma and .mp3 Files Moving Windows to Mac

Ok, so after switching to all Apple products once again, and never going back to windows, I have some misc .wma and .avi. and .mp3 files I would like to convert to Apple's formats, but I need to do a large amount of these in bulk.

I have re-ripped a lot of the CD's but it is getting to be a painful task with nearly 500 CD collection, so I would rather just convert them to use in iTunes.

I know mp3 will work, but I no longer need any format other than Apple's.
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:03 AM   #2
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
Ok, so after switching to all Apple products once again, and never going back to windows, I have some misc .wma and .avi. and .mp3 files I would like to convert to Apple's formats, but I need to do a large amount of these in bulk.

I have re-ripped a lot of the CD's but it is getting to be a painful task with nearly 500 CD collection, so I would rather just convert them to use in iTunes.

For the .avi's, I use iVI. It also adds the metadata and there's even a setting to automatically add the finished files in iTunes. You can buy it for like four bucks in the mac app store.

When it comes to the music, I don't really see the point in converting it or re-ripping your collection.
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:10 PM   #3
WhatAmI
macrumors 6502a

For batch conversion of movies I would def recommend iFlicks (http://www.iflicksapp.com/) yes it costs a few $ and yes Handbrake is free but still, one very smooth app and I've done about 100 full movies and 300+ tv shows w/ 100% hit rate on covers and meta data w/o any hiccups whatsoever

You say wma but I assume you mean wmv, either way no problem to convert either of these w/ tools out there
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:11 PM   #4
soco
macrumors 68030

Vlc.
soco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:18 PM   #5
obsidian1200
macrumors 6502

For audio files, I'd recommend X Lossless Decoder for Mac. It'll convert just about any format you throw at it into an .m4a. Obviously, this is something you'll want to do once you get you mac, but if you want to do it on your Windows machine before hand, you can always try using the built in decoder for iTunes. I recommended XLD for Mac because it's a little bit faster for batch converting, or at least that's what I've noticed.

For videos, lots of great suggestions so far for batch video converting.
obsidian1200 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:06 PM   #6
PNutts
macrumors 601

Ditto for iTunes's built-in converting. Today I stumbled across some old .wma and .mp3 files on an old backup of the wifey's computer. I imported them into and converted them with iTunes. I then used iTunes Match to get a 256 Kbps version replacing the alarmingly low bitrate original.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1550
PNutts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:30 PM   #7
warvanov
macrumors 6502

If you have files in mp3 format there's really no reason whatsoever to convert those to Apple's format. Any sort of conversion will potentially lower the sound quality (no conversion is going to improve the sound of the files) and any Apple device that can play .m4a files will have no problems with .mp3's.

If you're more concerned about file size than sound quality then you can iTunes to convert existing MP3's to AAC format, although I would advise against this. I used to do this when hard drive space was at a premium for me, but having recently upgraded I've just completed the process of re-ripping all of my CDs to high quality MP3 format. I find MP3s to be more versatile.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:35 AM   #8
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post

The easiest, fastest and completely free to convert Windows-specific formats to Mac-friendly ones is using iTunes under a Windows emulator like Parallels.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:19 AM   #9
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

I use iVi for all of my wmv, avi conversion needs.

Works great.
3x AEBS 802.11ac, JetStream Gigabit, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:55 AM   #10
CatsTide
macrumors 6502

ALL2MP3 is a good music convertor.
CatsTide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:13 AM   #11
Anna478
macrumors newbie

hey does anyone know of a program that will just convert my whole music folder on my external and replace the .wma format for .mp3?
Anna478 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:53 AM   #12
palmharbor
Banned

Exclamation MacX video (free)

This software will convert Windows media files to mp4 and it free, unlike most of the other apps.
palmharbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:08 AM   #13
pagansoul
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to pagansoul
iSquint for MAC

Simple to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	53.0 KB