Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:31 PM   #501
SockRolid
macrumors 65816
 
SockRolid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Almost Rock Solid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
It is. The admins give some of us a monthly allotment of delicious Hot Pockets to troll the boards and drum up drama.

And I'm not about to turn down some delicious Hot Pockets.
LOL. Well, it all ends up as more web traffic for a resoundingly pro-Apple site.
More pageviews is better for MacRumors, better for Arn, better for Apple.
SockRolid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:43 PM   #502
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
WTF - you mean that I've been here for nearly 13 years for free?
Yes. Thank you for your internship!
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:34 PM   #503
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HEY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw
WTF - you mean that I've been here for nearly 13 years for free?
Yup. While we'd like to say we appreciate you starving on our behalf, judging from that one boat thread that went on for pages and pages, your hobbies apparently include taking big yachts into stormy seas with champagne and stuff. Based on that, we assumed you have money to fall back on.

...and thus don't feel too guilty about withholding your paycheck.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:45 PM   #504
AidenShaw
macrumors G5
 
AidenShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Peninsula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Yup. While we'd like to say we appreciate you starving on our behalf, judging from that one boat thread that went on for pages and pages, your hobbies apparently include taking big yachts into stormy seas with champagne and stuff. Based on that, we assumed you have money to fall back on.

...and thus don't feel too guilty about withholding your paycheck.
At least send me a few Hot Pockets!

__________________
6 October 2014 - the day that the debate about marriage equality ended. And equality prevailed.

Last edited by AidenShaw; Dec 31, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:57 PM   #505
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HEY!
Do I look like a Democrat? Hell no! You have to earn your Hot Pockets like the rest of us!
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:09 AM   #506
/dev/toaster
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Could you be any more wrong?

Try using the latest Android builds for more than 5 minutes, and on a device that isnt a $100 POS.

Fragmentation has been solved pretty damn well with Android 4.
I have ... and honestly it can't hold a candle to iOS. Android is very damn ugly.

How can you say that fragmentation has been solved when it isn't totally a software issue. There are so many damn devices, memory sizes, CPUs and screen sizes that it becomes very difficult to develop for. It is damn near impossible for anything except a very large company to test against all those devices.

I am doing iOS development right now and only need a handfull of units. Hell, I am using all my previous gen versions and I have everything I need.

Friend of mine owns a firm that developers costume apps for people. They are doing very well for them selves and produce very high quality apps. They are now strictly an iOS shop. Development time on Android was always much higher and a serious pain in the ass. Sure, simple apps is no problem. Trying creating a game that is moderately to high resource intensive. You will lose your mind and it will drain your pocket buying a crap load of test devices.

Just look at the development tools. You can get up and running with XCode and iOS SDK *WAY* faster than with Android.

Interface builder is absolutely amazing. Yes, some people don't use them and would prefer to hand code all the widgets. But, for getting something working quickly ... IB will be a lot easier.

Look at the included libraries. CoreAnimation is awesome, defaults is easy as crap to work with ... and oh ya. Standard push notifications.
/dev/toaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:27 AM   #507
MorphingDragon
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The World Inbetween
Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/toaster View Post
I have ... and honestly it can't hold a candle to iOS. Android is very damn ugly.

How can you say that fragmentation has been solved when it isn't totally a software issue. There are so many damn devices, memory sizes, CPUs and screen sizes that it becomes very difficult to develop for. It is damn near impossible for anything except a very large company to test against all those devices.

I am doing iOS development right now and only need a handfull of units. Hell, I am using all my previous gen versions and I have everything I need.

Friend of mine owns a firm that developers costume apps for people. They are doing very well for them selves and produce very high quality apps. They are now strictly an iOS shop. Development time on Android was always much higher and a serious pain in the ass. Sure, simple apps is no problem. Trying creating a game that is moderately to high resource intensive. You will lose your mind and it will drain your pocket buying a crap load of test devices.

Just look at the development tools. You can get up and running with XCode and iOS SDK *WAY* faster than with Android.

Interface builder is absolutely amazing. Yes, some people don't use them and would prefer to hand code all the widgets. But, for getting something working quickly ... IB will be a lot easier.

Look at the included libraries. CoreAnimation is awesome, defaults is easy as crap to work with ... and oh ya. Standard push notifications.
You overstate the issues about developing for Android, they can easily be overcomed by using development techniques used for years on traditional desktop computers. The ironic thing about using your logic is developing for Windows 8 is much better than iOS. I mean just look at the tools, the built in libraries and the programming language. I mean it even comes with DirectX 11! Phwoar...

Though iOS will always be irrelevant to me until they introduce native gesture typing. It's not just some feature that can be replaced by a third party app, it changes the way you use your device.

Just FYI, Google does have a standard for push notifications.
MorphingDragon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:49 AM   #508
rmwebs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/toaster View Post
I have ... and honestly it can't hold a candle to iOS. Android is very damn ugly.

How can you say that fragmentation has been solved when it isn't totally a software issue. There are so many damn devices, memory sizes, CPUs and screen sizes that it becomes very difficult to develop for. It is damn near impossible for anything except a very large company to test against all those devices.

I am doing iOS development right now and only need a handfull of units. Hell, I am using all my previous gen versions and I have everything I need.

Friend of mine owns a firm that developers costume apps for people. They are doing very well for them selves and produce very high quality apps. They are now strictly an iOS shop. Development time on Android was always much higher and a serious pain in the ass. Sure, simple apps is no problem. Trying creating a game that is moderately to high resource intensive. You will lose your mind and it will drain your pocket buying a crap load of test devices.

Just look at the development tools. You can get up and running with XCode and iOS SDK *WAY* faster than with Android.

Interface builder is absolutely amazing. Yes, some people don't use them and would prefer to hand code all the widgets. But, for getting something working quickly ... IB will be a lot easier.

Look at the included libraries. CoreAnimation is awesome, defaults is easy as crap to work with ... and oh ya. Standard push notifications.
So basically you've just listed a bunch of things there you've not really compared to... well...anything, and just declared that because you find XYZ features easier, that means Android sucks and iOS rules.

Try developing on both platforms. Try doing it for a living. Try using them as an end user.

Coming out with "I know a guy" type comments really means naff all.

A person with a bias opinion on either iOS or Android is always going to come out with complete fud to support their argument. As far as I'm concerned, having worked with both platforms since 2007, is that they both have pros and cons. Neither is more superior overall and I doubt ever will be.
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:36 AM   #509
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/toaster View Post
How can you say that fragmentation has been solved when it isn't totally a software issue. There are so many damn devices, memory sizes, CPUs and screen sizes that it becomes very difficult to develop for. It is damn near impossible for anything except a very large company to test against all those devices.
The Mac is really hard to develop for uh ? All those screen sizes, CPUs and memory sizes. Heck, we're not even guaranteed the user won't... *gasp*, connect an external monitor to his DP out, so even having an entire table of Mac models with the screen sizes is pointless, there's not even a guarantee that's what the user is running !

Then there's the issue of so many OS versions... older Intel Macs stuck on 10.7, new ones on 10.8, users that don't like MC stuck on 10.6.

Soooooooooooo hard.

Thank god we've been doing it for decades and the smallest indie as well as very large companies can do it uh ?
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:57 AM   #510
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I find the "argument" above akin to people who say Apple products just work and/or are more intuitive, etc/yadda yadda. There's a bias there. And that's ok as long as you say what your preference is. And not present it as "fact."

Just like both iOS and Android have learning curves. Somethings are easier on one platform than the other and vice-versa.

And it's really important to stay "current" with your discussion points as well. General rule of thumb - making a comment about a feature or whatnot of either a phone or OS that is dated (IE - previous OS, older phone, etc) as a current proof point seems silly to me.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:53 PM   #511
/dev/toaster
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
The Mac is really hard to develop for uh ? All those screen sizes, CPUs and memory sizes. Heck, we're not even guaranteed the user won't... *gasp*, connect an external monitor to his DP out, so even having an entire table of Mac models with the screen sizes is pointless, there's not even a guarantee that's what the user is running !

Then there's the issue of so many OS versions... older Intel Macs stuck on 10.7, new ones on 10.8, users that don't like MC stuck on 10.6.

Soooooooooooo hard.

Thank god we've been doing it for decades and the smallest indie as well as very large companies can do it uh ?
I was talking about Android, these issues are much harder to deal with.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
So basically you've just listed a bunch of things there you've not really compared to... well...anything, and just declared that because you find XYZ features easier, that means Android sucks and iOS rules.

Try developing on both platforms. Try doing it for a living. Try using them as an end user.

Coming out with "I know a guy" type comments really means naff all.

A person with a bias opinion on either iOS or Android is always going to come out with complete fud to support their argument. As far as I'm concerned, having worked with both platforms since 2007, is that they both have pros and cons. Neither is more superior overall and I doubt ever will be.
I am doing iOS development right now. Started doing Phonegap development which was a nightmare to try and make feel native.

Switched to writing it in native Objective C and holy **** it runs way better and spent no time fumbling around with the dumb problems previously.

I have done a mild amount of Android development and the tools don't even come close to how powerful Xcode is.
/dev/toaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:10 PM   #512
The13thDoctor
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: @TheRoyalDoctor
As much as I love Apple, the Nexus 4 is a really, really, really good phone. Its actually better or on par with the iPhone 5 imo. And anybody who still says that Android is still laggy, try a stock 4.1 rom.
__________________
My butt feels leaky...
The13thDoctor is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The better DAC? iPod, Motorola phone, HTC, Samsung... listen to lossless music? mtnbikerva1 iPhone 8 Aug 22, 2013 11:27 AM
Google Working on Game Console to Compete with Future Apple Gaming Threat MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 246 Jul 18, 2013 07:00 AM
Samsung Announces New Flagship Galaxy S 4 Competitor to Apple's iPhone MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 1181 Apr 9, 2013 09:39 PM
Google Launches Free Scan and Match Music Service to Compete With Apple and Amazon MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 387 Dec 21, 2012 09:19 PM
Google goes after Apple via Motorola patents Dolorian Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 32 Sep 20, 2012 08:14 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC