Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which feature would you be the most excited for?

• Predictor

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Custom Notifications

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Location-Based Actions

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Dynamic Icons

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Widgets

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Siri API

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • Offline Siri

• Quick Reply (Messaging)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • New UI

Votes: 240 55.3%
  • Something Else (Be sure to post what)

• Total voters

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
More options in the Alarm app or better APIs for third party alarms (local notifications not good enough, DND blocks them, limited options etc.)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'd like to see a feature where developers can allow "custom installs" of their apps. This occurred to me after fighting to make enough space for Final Fantasy IV; I'd like to be able to install it without the Japanese speech files.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
How am I wrong? Notification Center shows me my schedule. Are you saying you want to see your schedule on your lockscreen?

You still have to swipe the NC down to see it, and you can't scroll through your schedule further into the future. In that case you could just as well tap the calendar and open it.

When I had a calender widget on my start page I found it very useful getting reminded on upcoming events every time I looked at the phone and being able to scroll through them right from the start screen and being able to open a specific appointment by tapping it from the widget.

However, I understand this isn't for everyone, which I guess is why it's completely optional which (if any) widgets you have activated on your Android phone.

And I can't see how it can be a downside to the ones not wanting them if the option to use them for others were there? If you believe widgets are battery hogs, then just not use them. I still think it would be great for people who want them to have the option.

----------

Can do all of that w/ Bluetooth and passbook.

You can really do all of this with BT and Passbook? If that's the case it's great and there are no need for NFC.

Since I haven't been able to find out how to get those things to work, could you please let me know how to set it up. At least the below functions that I would find neat to have automated:

At home
Put an NFC tag near your door and set it to do things like: enable Wi-Fi, decrease brightness, disable Bluetooth, and auto-sync. Using NFC Task Launcher, you can program the tag to "switch," so that when you exit your house and tap the tag for the second time, it changes those settings (like disabling Wi-Fi.)

Driving in the car
Stick an NFC tag somewhere near your dashboard or middle console and have it disable Wi-Fi, increase volume, and enable Bluetooth (for a headset). If you have your phone hooked up to the car's speakers, program the tag to fire up an app like Pandora.

Give access to your Wi-Fi network
If you'd like to give guests at home (or at an office) access to your Wi-Fi network without giving up your password, check out InstaWifi. The free Android app lets you program an NFC tag that, when tapped with an NFC-enabled device, gives the phone or tablet instant access to the associated Wi-Fi network.

latormenta

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2012
I frankly don't mind complexity to some extent, as long as it's still Apple style. I wouldn't mind having to actually learn something new about iOS on my own for once.
I would love to have to learn some new things about iOS. That's an exciting aspect that comes with getting a new phone and updates to its OS, but iOS hasn't really made people learn new things for a while.

Also, I would love to be able to edit music information right from the phone (song title/album/artist/album art/etc.)

I'm very meticulous about those details and when I notice something is off or is not tagged in the fashion that I would typically use, it bothers me to no end. And computers aren't always available to do so from iTunes.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
You still have to swipe the NC down to see it, and you can't scroll through your schedule further into the future. In that case you could just as well tap the calendar and open it.

When I had a calender widget on my start page I found it very useful getting reminded on upcoming events every time I looked at the phone and being able to scroll through them right from the start screen and being able to open a specific appointment by tapping it from the widget.

However, I understand this isn't for everyone, which I guess is why it's completely optional which (if any) widgets you have activated on your Android phone.

And I can't see how it can be a downside to the ones not wanting them if the option to use them for others were there? If you believe widgets are battery hogs, then just not use them. I still think it would be great for people who want them to have the option.

It's not that I'm against anyone having an option to have widgets, I just feel Apple's time could be better spent on more useful things.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Apple had better start rethinking IOS with release 7 or they'll loose market share.

They have not kept up with consumer needs and as you can see their stock price has suffered.

The Maps fiasco demonstrated that they are not a software company (but then so has Mountain lion).

I have never updated my OSs as each update seems to make things worse.

If they dont score a win with IOS 7, I suspect they will fall out of favor.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Apple had better start rethinking IOS with release 7 or they'll loose market share.

They have not kept up with consumer needs and as you can see their stock price has suffered.

The Maps fiasco demonstrated that they are not a software company (but then so has Mountain lion).

I have never updated my OSs as each update seems to make things worse.

If they dont score a win with IOS 7, I suspect they will fall out of favor.

Actually I disagree. Apple would be foolish to radically change iOS because that would put them in the same situation as Microsoft, with Windows 8. If you want an operating system more like Android, then you should go and buy an Android phone. Android is not gaining marketshare because it's a superior operating system, it's because it's a cheaper operating system. If you watch the original iPhone demo Steve Jobs did, you'll see that it was the software that stole the show, not the hardware. Apple should keep to what they do best a release high-quality solutions to problems, not gimmicks (snapping two phones together to share files).
As someone who switch from Android only a month ago, I don't miss widgets at all, but also don't miss awful battery life and having to micromanage my phones Wifi and 3G in order to get good battery.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
It's not that I'm against anyone having an option to have widgets, I just feel Apple's time could be better spent on more useful things.
This might be true, but what does Apple spend their time on? Facebook integration? Passbook? Each year, I keep wondering what the whole OS team did with their time over the last year. :confused:

djdsas

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2008
This might be true, but what does Apple spend their time on? Facebook integration? Passbook? Each year, I keep wondering what the whole OS team did with their time over the last year. :confused:

They are spending too much time fighting the jail breakers instead of enhancing the OS. If would never feel the need to jailbreak if they added the following:

1. Centralized Documents Accessible from any app!
2. Quick Reply SMS from the lock screen
3. Quick toggles(ie Sbsetting or NCsettings)
4. Actionable notifications Like Lockinfo or Intelliscreen-X
5. Please do something with the same wasted space on the lock screen!
6. More Gestures ie. Zephyr & Activator
7. Improvements to multitasking tray(quickly remove unused apps & swipe
instead of that tiny X!)
8. Please stop vibrating my head when I'm on the phone & I receive a new
notification
9. Let me set # of times to remind me when I miss a phone call(sames as sms)
10. Improvements & additions to Do not disturb.
11. Improvements to editing(swipe shift carat)

Better yet...maybe Apple can go out purchase these tweaks from the Jailbreak developers for a few million instead of hoarding there 700Billion while they are loosing the Mobile OS Battle, hire the developers who actually have fresh ideas, and save IOS and keep me and my family & friends from switching to Andriod!

Last edited:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I don't think they need major changes - also remember IOS releases are primary for supporting new hardware.
Sure I'd like to see little things but from what I've seen of Android phones (my wife has one) I'd want no part of one. Sure you can do more with them if you want to hack it up but you'd need to understand computer stuff to actually get it to work.
With all the complaining now boy I can't wait to see what you guys will say after IOS7 no matter what is included. I want applications and applications that always work and always work great. I don't care what icons look like on the screen.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
My only wish is better battery life! I hate not even being able to make it through an entire day with my phone.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
I've always wondered why Android phone makers think users care about the weather so much... I mean really?! I honestly don't mind tapping an icon to see the 5 day weather forecast, and if I want to know what it is now, well then I can look out side can't I?

This is the sad reality of most iPhone users. When someone gives ONE example of something they find useful, instead of "thinking differently", they stick to only that example.

The point isn't strictly about seeing the weather. Its about creating an API for developers to tap into that give users the CHOICE to have these things.

But go ahead. Berate those of us who actually know that the definition of choice is.

----------

My only wish is better battery life! I hate not even being able to make it through an entire day with my phone.

Its becoming so much worse. Still not at Android levels yet though.

----------

Why the hell are you and your friends just staring at your phone. Learn to download apps and actually use it. Duh. It's not apples fault you're boring.

Solid argument. Especially the last sentence. Way to capture the essence of what I was saying. Then again, most users on this forum pull out that straw man of theirs whenever countering this argument.

MatthaiosSaraj

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
Thing i miss in iOS is jre support. I understand why flash is not supported it's about time we move to html5 but java. What's wrong with that?

MatthaiosSaraj

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
This is what iOS should have evolved into....the quick reply and settings are pretty awesome. Interested to see what this will bring to the mobile market.
I like how they used all edges for os functions. apple should implement something similar. Now we are using only top edge. Use of bottom edge for home button like function could bring as iphone without a home button - true minimalist design

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Actually I disagree. Apple would be foolish to radically change iOS because that would put them in the same situation as Microsoft, with Windows 8. If you want an operating system more like Android, then you should go and buy an Android phone. Android is not gaining marketshare because it's a superior operating system, it's because it's a cheaper operating system. If you watch the original iPhone demo Steve Jobs did, you'll see that it was the software that stole the show, not the hardware. Apple should keep to what they do best a release high-quality solutions to problems, not gimmicks (snapping two phones together to share files).
As someone who switch from Android only a month ago, I don't miss widgets at all, but also don't miss awful battery life and having to micromanage my phones Wifi and 3G in order to get good battery.

This is the type of mentality that kills previously successful companies and RIM is the best example. They dominated the smartphone industry until the iPhone came out. They didn't feel like they needed to change either. Now they are changing radically with BB10 just to survive.

Android *is* gaining market share partially because of the OS. Some people with iPhones are bored and see innovations in Android and other platforms that they'd like to have. People buy what they want and are not particularly loyal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.