Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
Do you think we will see an update to the Apple TV in march?

I would like.
HDMI CEC! ( So you can turn the tv on when turning the Apple TV on...)
Apps.
Anything else?

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I'd like more meaningless speculative posts that aren't even based upon any form of rumors whatsoever.

I'd also like a new iPad 5 that has a Unicorn for a processor and an iPhone 6 that transfer data to your brain with rainbows and sparkles.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
I'd like more meaningless speculative posts that aren't even based upon any form of rumors whatsoever.

I'd also like a new iPad 5 that has a Unicorn for a processor and an iPhone 6 that transfer data to your brain with rainbows and sparkles.

Your post is much longer than mine. Why did you border?

jgabriel

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
Whatever...I really hate Apple right now since it is ****ing Brazil's costumers with their new price policies. Buying Apple's products here became so unreasonable that only a person with their priorities really messed up, would. A Retina MacBook Pro costs $5000 here(USD). A frugal Apple TV costs $200; the iPhone 5 entry price is $1200. Apple is aware of that, since they haven't even bothered starting selling the iPad mini here. The iPhone 5 can't be found anywhere, since Apple isn't selling it through the Apple on line store as they did in the past, and they sent a ridiculously small number of units to the carries, which sold out in the first day. I guess as long as china keeps its "insatiable" demand for these products, Apple couldn't care less for Brazil. But there will come a day when Apple will fell the need to expand again, just to show their investors those beautiful profit and revenue numbers. Thats when we are going to show those ****ers a big middle finger!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What's setting the AppleTV back now isn't the hardware, it's the content. It needs to get parity with the Roku--HBO Go, Amazon, Spotify, etc.

I expect the next model will get a processor bump and perhaps become smaller. I'd like to see Apple add component so I could get one for my parents, but that'll never happen.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
What's setting the AppleTV back now isn't the hardware, it's the content. It needs to get parity with the Roku--HBO Go, Amazon, Spotify, etc.

I expect the next model will get a processor bump and perhaps become smaller. I'd like to see Apple add component so I could get one for my parents, but that'll never happen.

You want component? Get and Apple TV 1. The form factor of the current on is already as small as it could reasonably go and still have the range of connections on the back.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do you think we will see an update to the Apple TV in march?

I would like.
HDMI CEC! ( So you can turn the tv on when turning the Apple TV on...)
Apps.
Anything else?

This is just a guess, but follow along with me here. :)

I'm thinking new Mac portables in June (~ish) with the new Intel Haswell chipset. Those new portables will incorporate the new 802.11ac wi-fi standard. A new Airport Extreme and Time Capsule will come out with 802.11ac. Then... a new ATV with 802.11ac for faster HD video streaming.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Whatever...I really hate Apple right now since it is ****ing Brazil's costumers with their new price policies. Buying Apple's products here became so unreasonable that only a person with their priorities really messed up, would. A Retina MacBook Pro costs $5000 here(USD). A frugal Apple TV costs $200; the iPhone 5 entry price is $1200. Apple is aware of that, since they haven't even bothered starting selling the iPad mini here. The iPhone 5 can't be found anywhere, since Apple isn't selling it through the Apple on line store as they did in the past, and they sent a ridiculously small number of units to the carries, which sold out in the first day. I guess as long as china keeps its "insatiable" demand for these products, Apple couldn't care less for Brazil. But there will come a day when Apple will fell the need to expand again, just to show their investors those beautiful profit and revenue numbers. Thats when we are going to show those ****ers a big middle finger!

I feel your pain, my friend, but unless all the products you mentioned are manufactured in Brazil, your anger and frustration should be directed at your government, because a large part of those unreasonable prices is due to huge tariffs that your government slaps on imported goods.
Hardly APPLE's fault.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I honestly don't know what they would do to upgrade the apple tv. I LOVE mine the way it is now. Apps would definitely be a plus, that would probably need a spec bump.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
This is just a guess, but follow along with me here. :)

I'm thinking new Mac portables in June (~ish) with the new Intel Haswell chipset. Those new portables will incorporate the new 802.11ac wi-fi standard. A new Airport Extreme and Time Capsule will come out with 802.11ac. Then... a new ATV with 802.11ac for faster HD video streaming.

Faster how? You would still be limited by either your Internet connection or your hard drive speed to feed home sharing and honestly movies take seconds to start now and once they start speed over wifi is a non issue IMHO. I do not see this a a compelling upgrade point.

Apps and built in DNLA support with a usable USB port for external media drives now that would be compelling.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Local storage again and a better interface.

Also, I hate how the movies, tv shows and music links on the main screen are for cloud stuff only. It should combine everything - if you use Home Sharing, going into those links should display everyone's stuff together.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Local storage again and a better interface.

Also, I hate how the movies, tv shows and music links on the main screen are for cloud stuff only. It should combine everything - if you use Home Sharing, going into those links should display everyone's stuff together.

Definitely agree with this.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Faster how? You would still be limited by either your Internet connection or your hard drive speed to feed home sharing and honestly movies take seconds to start now and once they start speed over wifi is a non issue IMHO. I do not see this a a compelling upgrade point.

Apps and built in DNLA support with a usable USB port for external media drives now that would be compelling.

Who said anything about compelling? :D

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I feel your pain, my friend, but unless all the products you mentioned are manufactured in Brazil, your anger and frustration should be directed at your government, because a large part of those unreasonable prices is due to huge tariffs that your government slaps on imported goods.
Hardly APPLE's fault.

So true.So many people enraged at Apple's prices in[insert country]while totally ignoring the tariffs,VAT and other taxes piled on by their government.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
So true.So many people enraged at Apple's prices in[insert country]while totally ignoring the tariffs,VAT and other taxes piled on by their government.

Exactly if it wasn't for tariffs, taxes, VAT, etc. the prices throughout the world would be roughly the same (remember that US prices do not include taxes so our final costs are higher than the advertised price). Last I knew Brazil had something like a 100% tariff on all goods which is why Apple wanted to start building iPads there so they could circumvent the tariffs. Not sure if this ever occurred or not....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Apple TV as much as I love mine needs a bit of an overhaul, with more TV like app support. It's now falling behind UI of many TVs with built in smart features, therefore its needs to up its game or risk being further sidelined and become irrelevant.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
Apple TV as much as I love mine needs a bit of an overhaul, with more TV like app support. It's now falling behind UI of many TVs with built in smart features, therefore its needs to up its game or risk being further sidelined and become irrelevant.

as soon as they try to catch up. they have already failed(just by catching up).

CaptTCS

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2013
Bainbridge Island, WA

Apple will never add DLNA support, because DLNA is a Samsung thing.

Also... I would LOVE to be able to add an external HDD to the USB, but that would discourage the use of iCloud, so we know Apple won't do that, either.

What I would like to see ATV morph into is.. The device we have now, plus:

Cable TV Tuner
Apps
USB, or <even better> Firewire, External HDD & Superdrive Connectivity
Motion Sensitive Games, like "Connect".

<Add to all that a new Superdrive that plays Blu-Rays>

That combination would, or could, make ATV the ONLY device I would need... And my TV would always be on HDMI1.

[Mid '12 Macbook Pro, Mountain Lion, Release Day iPhone 5, ATV 3G]

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Apple will never add DLNA support, because DLNA is a Samsung thing.

Also... I would LOVE to be able to add an external HDD to the USB, but that would discourage the use of iCloud, so we know Apple won't do that, either.

What I would like to see ATV morph into is.. The device we have now, plus:

Cable TV Tuner
Apps
USB, or <even better> Firewire, External HDD & Superdrive Connectivity
Motion Sensitive Games, like "Connect".

<Add to all that a new Superdrive that plays Blu-Rays>

That combination would, or could, make ATV the ONLY device I would need... And my TV would always be on HDMI1.

[Mid '12 Macbook Pro, Mountain Lion, Release Day iPhone 5, ATV 3G]

I don't see a tuner coming ever. If we need channels, they'll probably be in the form of apps.

I also don't see USB or SuperDrive support coming as Apple is dropping the optical drive like it's hot right now. They aren't about to add support for something they are dropping support for. And you can forget about a BR drive. I don't see that ever happening. Schiller has said that customers don't ask for BR anymore since iTunes delivers 1080p content. (I find that hard to believe, but that doesn't mean they'll add BR.)

How would something like Kinect work? Apple would have to add some sort of camera to the Apple TV which seems unlikely if they want to keep it at $99. Now if they ever make a TV, I could possibly see it in there.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
There is no reason why iOS and 16GB storage with external hookup capabilities can't be installed. If they can cram it in an iPhone, why not ATV. Run iTunes from the ATV so I don't need a computer to stream, just attach an external drive for my movies and music. I wouldn't care if they made it bigger to accommodate what's needed to do this. As far as content, get the dam NFL. They have the other three sports.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
There is no reason why iOS and 16GB storage with external hookup capabilities can't be installed. If they can cram it in an iPhone, why not ATV. Run iTunes from the ATV so I don't need a computer to stream, just attach an external drive for my movies and music. I wouldn't care if they made it bigger to accommodate what's needed to do this. As far as content, get the dam NFL. They have the other three sports.

The only reason I see external capabilities not being offered is that same content "should" be in iTunes which would make an external not needed. If you have the much content, you can store your iTunes library on the external and just use Home Sharing on the Apple TV.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I would like to see apps added although most new tv's have all the apps you need.

It's funny i have netflix on my tv but still use my atv2 i also have dlna connection via plex on my tv but still prefer to use atv flash media player mainly because i run everything from my verbatim drive now & my Imac is not used for storage at all.

:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.