Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Apologies if this has been answered, and thank you in advance:

Can I buy a used Verizon iPhone and use it with Straight Talk on the VZW network?

Or do they only support BYOP for GSM phones, and only VZW network with the iPhones they sell?

(I ask because we have little AT&T coverage here.)

BYOP with a verizon iPhone hasn't been confirmed, but it seems that the overall consensus is that this isn't possible. It needs to be a GSM phone. But again I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere

----------

If the ST iPhone 5 is indeed the CDMA A1429 (prepaid Verizon iPhone in disguise), then I don't know why I have ST representatives telling me that the SIM card tray is disabled/blocked ... unless the SIM card tray really is blocked even though the device itself is compatible with GSM networks like it should be.

:confused:

----------

Maybe they're just confused ... They're telling me the SIM card tray is disabled because it's a CDMA phone ... but that's not how the CDMA A1429 works.

Still :confused:

Because the ST representatives are either lying to try to get you to pay for ST service or they just plain don't know what they're talking about

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
RTFA. :)

"Straight Talk is a subsidiary of TracFone, and its iPhone customers will use AT&T's network. There is no indication of whether the phones will support AT&T's LTE network or not."

I just spoke to a Straight Talk representative and they told me I can use an AT&T iPhone with their service, but if I purchase an iPhone from Straight Talk it will mostly use Verizon's network. It will not be able to connect to AT&T's network. It will not have LTE but in the future it may be added if they expand their contract with Verizon. While I don't always trust representatives, this one seemed pretty knowledgable so I'd lean towards the article being inaccurate. Still not sure if I should switch or not though.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
I just spoke to a Straight Talk representative and they told me I can use an AT&T iPhone with their service, but if I purchase an iPhone from Straight Talk it will mostly use Verizon's network. It will not be able to connect to AT&T's network. It will not have LTE but in the future it may be added if they expand their contract with Verizon. While I don't always trust representatives, this one seemed pretty knowledgable so I'd lean towards the article being inaccurate. Still not sure if I should switch or not though.

If you look at the coverage map Straight Talk has linked to their iPhone 5 page

http://iphone.straighttalk.com/details.php

(note: you need to scroll down the page and click on the coverage map link for the map to display)

It looks very similar to Verizon's coverage map

http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#!/coverage

So I would guess that Straight Talk is using the Verizon network for their iPhone sales.

Last edited:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
If you look at the coverage map Straight Talk has linked to their iPhone 5 page

http://iphone.straighttalk.com/details.php

It looks very similar to Verizon's coverage map

http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#!/coverage

So I would guess that Straight Talk is using the Verizon network for their iPhone sales.

I'm guessing they have a more profitable contact with Verizon than AT&T so they are funneling traffic that way. Or they have so many customers that have brought their own AT&T iPhones to ST that they need to balance it out.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
here's a question: what will the return policy be? if it's walmart's standard 14 day return policy you could buy one to see if it does what you need it to and then return it if it doesn't

It gets more complicated if you plan on porting a number. Since it's pay as you go, I guess you could do just one month with a new number and port it later if you like it. Still a bit more complicated though.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
It gets more complicated if you plan on porting a number. Since it's pay as you go, I guess you could do just one month with a new number and port it later if you like it. Still a bit more complicated though.

yeah I use google voice but that could complicate for others. I am actually thinking about snagging an iPhone 4 with this deal and seeing if I get hspa+ in my area with it

clavier223

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
it doesn't say anywhere that it uses that network

It doesn't have to. If you actually compare the two coverage maps I showed you, then you will see that they are identical.

Plus, it's already confirmed that it's a CDMA phone ... and there are only two CDMA networks on Straight Talk ... and the coverage map they show for the ST iPhone is definitely not the Sprint map (CDMA-S).

You can call up Straight Talk yourself, and they will tell you this. It's a prepaid Verizon iPhone in disguise.

----------

You can also go the Verizon site to compare their map to those two I linked above, and you'll see the same exact map, again.

Just click on "Prepaid" and then "Refresh Map", zoom all the way out, and you'll see for yourself.

----------

ST iPhone coverage map

CDMA-V coverage map

Verizon Wireless coverage map - click on "Prepaid" and then "Refresh Page", zoom all the way out

All three coverage maps are identical.

Last edited:

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
It's on the Verizon network. I'm confirming it.

I have one right in front of me. Also... if you use the phone prior to activation, it connects to the Verizon network.

No more need to say "this has yet to be confirmed" or "it must be GSM".

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
It's on the Verizon network. I'm confirming it.

I have one right in front of me. Also... if you use the phone prior to activation, it connects to the Verizon network.

No more need to say "this has yet to be confirmed" or "it must be GSM".

Can your confirm…
Visual voice mail
Mms
FaceTime over 3G

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
It doesn't have to. If you actually compare the two coverage maps I showed you, then you will see that they are identical.

Plus, it's already confirmed that it's a CDMA phone ... and there are only two CDMA networks on Straight Talk ... and the coverage map they show for the ST iPhone is definitely not the Sprint map (CDMA-S).

You can call up Straight Talk yourself, and they will tell you this. It's a prepaid Verizon iPhone in disguise.

----------

You can also go the Verizon site to compare their map to those two I linked above, and you'll see the same exact map, again.

Just click on "Prepaid" and then "Refresh Map", zoom all the way out, and you'll see for yourself.

----------

ST iPhone coverage map

CDMA-V coverage map

Verizon Wireless coverage map - click on "Prepaid" and then "Refresh Page", zoom all the way out

All three coverage maps are identical.

what about LTE?

Jaymills

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Walmart and Straight Talk Wireless Now Carrying iPhone 5

The Walmart and Straight Talk Wireless Now Carrying iPhone 5 is a CDMA MODEL MD105LL/A!!! It is a verizon model and it is unlocked when i try my at&t sim it work with 4G but now LTE! the Straight Talk iPhone 5 does not come with a sim card and its does no used/need one to be activated one the Straight Talk Network! When i was activating the one i purchase today you need to call in or go to Straight Talk site and give them the MEID number for activation! A Note No Sim card comes in the phone the phone sim slot in empty!

clavier223

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
Sweet.

The ST representatives on facebook must be confused, then. It really is just the prepaid Verizon iPhone with ST rates.

----------

But again, that makes sense because we know it's the A1429 model.

Wouldn't then, if Virgin Mobile picked up the iPhone 5 like ST, that it would also be the A1429 model since VM uses Sprint's network? which means it'd be GSM unlocked?

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
Took the plunge and got one on my wife's number. Number ported fine. Can make calls. Got a text. However no data or voicemail. Not sure why. Been tinkering to a couple of hours.

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
STRAIGHT TALK SUCKS! I recently talked a friend in to switching over so he would buy my old phone and he's had nothing but problems. ST will throttle you at the drop of a hat, especially if you try to stream youtube over their network. You have been warned!

Funny I watch streamed events, YT stuff no issue, love straighttalk and I've a customer with them with 2 different phones, now a 4S with no issues, very satisfied and not getting raped on a bill #winning

clavier223

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
Here is where the "unlocked" confusion lies. An e-mail from Straight Talk:

Thank you for your interest in Straight Talk Wireless. We are responding to your recent inquiry.

Please be informed that the Straight Talk iPhone 5 is a CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) phone that will be activated using Verizon network and this phone cannot be unlocked.

Well, duh, I know it's not "CDMA-unlocked", that's just silly ... I'm not talking about that, and no one there seems to understand that. I'm talking about its SIM card slot, which would use GSM like the identical prepaid Verizon (GSM-unlocked) iPhone.

Last edited:

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Here is where the "unlocked" confusion lies. An e-mail from Straight Talk:

Well, duh, I know it's not "CDMA-unlocked", that's just silly ... I'm not talking about that, and no one there seems to understand that. I'm talking about it's SIM card slot, which would use GSM like the identical prepaid Verizon (GSM-unlocked) iPhone.

What are people failing to grasp?

The ST Iphone is the Verizon CDMA version but the LTE module has been disabled.

Like the Verizon model, the handset is unlocked and allows you to use any GSM sim card.

Therefore, you can use AT&T or Tmobile (HSPA) too. However, as with the Verizon model, this model does not support AT&T LTE.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
What are people failing to grasp?

The ST Iphone is the Verizon CDMA version but the LTE module has been disabled.

Like the Verizon model, the handset is unlocked and allows you to use any GSM sim card.

Therefore, you can use AT&T or Tmobile (HSPA) too. However, as with the Verizon model, this model does not support AT&T LTE.

It's not disable, the thing is just activated via ESN without a SIM card, so there is no authentication for LTE. Stick a postpaid Verizon SIM in there, and you'll have LTE just like a Verizon iPhone 5. No LTE on AT&T because it doesn't support Band 17 or 4.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
think about what you are saying.. sticking an active verizon postpaid sim card in there. where would you get such a sim w/o having verizon service? and if you have verizon service, why would you have straighttalk service?

It's not disable, the thing is just activated via ESN without a SIM card, so there is no authentication for LTE. Stick a postpaid Verizon SIM in there, and you'll have LTE just like a Verizon iPhone 5. No LTE on AT&T because it doesn't support Band 17 or 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.