Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotanimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Hey guys, tried to update my iPhone 4 since it asked me to update to iOS 5.1.

I tried and it failed with the error "the iphone could not be restored unknown error occurred (1)"

What should I do? What a P.O.S.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Hey guys, tried to update my iPhone 4 since it asked me to update to iOS 5.1.

I tried and it failed with the error "the iphone could not be restored unknown error occurred (1)"

What should I do? What a P.O.S.

NORLY? You couldn't have done a MacRumors search?

gotanimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
I did - I didn't find any relevant information.

Phone is not jailbroken. I tried different USB ports.

Saying "you couldn't have done a search" is not helpful. I wouldn't have posted if I had searched and found the information I needed.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I did - I didn't find any relevant information.

Phone is not jailbroken. I tried different USB ports.

Saying "you couldn't have done a search" is not helpful. I wouldn't have posted if I had searched and found the information I needed.

You're kidding me right? There's 5+ threads RIGHT NOW asking the exact same question.

Obviously you did not search even a little bit so you deserve no help. There have been over 11 answers in the 5+ threads explaining why this is happening.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I am doing mine now, but I heard that some people ended up having to restore and then reload the update. Can you restore?

gotanimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
You're kidding me right? There's 5+ threads RIGHT NOW asking the exact same question.

Obviously you did not search even a little bit so you deserve no help. There have been over 11 answers in the 5+ threads explaining why this is happening.

I don't see any of them. Where are they?

gotanimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010

That is not the error I'm getting. I downloaded the update just fine... but now it won't even turn on it gives me an itunes logo and usb cable. Attempting a restore I just get the error I wrote in my OP.

Nothing in those threads have anything to do with my original error. I could be mistaken as I'm not too savy on this but the update downloaded...

Tried update from the wi-fi and it failed so that's when I tried to do it from iTunes and still no go. It downloads and starts to install but after I get that error and the screen shows an iTunes logo and USB cable.

moses2628

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
My fiancee's iPhone is having the same issue as well. Searched online, and via numerious forums and threads, and haven't been lucky. She has a Verizon iPhone 4, not jailbroken. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

gotanimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
I also have Verizon iPhone 4.

I'm in DFU mode right now and attempting to restore from the iPhone3,3_5.1_9B176_Restore.ipsw file provided @ http://ios.e-lite.org/.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: Still a no-go. Absolutely pathetic. I have an appointment at the Genius bar this afternoon, at least I will get to leave work early. I'll update this thread to let people know what happened... and also let our resident dbag learn too.

Last edited:

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
That is not the error I'm getting. I downloaded the update just fine... but now it won't even turn on it gives me an itunes logo and usb cable. Attempting a restore I just get the error I wrote in my OP.

Nothing in those threads have anything to do with my original error. I could be mistaken as I'm not too savy on this but the update downloaded...

Tried update from the wi-fi and it failed so that's when I tried to do it from iTunes and still no go. It downloads and starts to install but after I get that error and the screen shows an iTunes logo and USB cable.

The iTunes logo and USB cable is telling you to plug into iTunes. Try that and see iTunes needs to restore something. You will likely get a message from iTunes when you connect telling you what's going on. Worth a try.

EDIT: Be sure to update your iTunes before doing this. iTunes also has an update to make it compatible with the 5.1.

moses2628

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
When connected to Itunes, it stated that it has detected a device in Recovery mode, that it needs to be restored. Once you hit restore, it downloads software, then error pops up again.

EDIT: I did update her Itunes prior to updating

Last edited:

gotanimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
The iTunes logo and USB cable is telling you to plug into iTunes. Try that and see iTunes needs to restore something. You will likely get a message from iTunes when you connect telling you what's going on. Worth a try.

EDIT: Be sure to update your iTunes before doing this. iTunes also has an update to make it compatible with the 5.1.

Yeah - last night I originally did it OTA @home connected to wi-fi. Once it failed and simple had that cable logo I did connect it to my iMac and tried again... where it again failed.

I'm wondering if this is a version 4 Verizon issue since another poster is having the same issue.

I just installed iTunes on my work PC and tried again. Same deal.

gobluebrent

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Same Problem Here

Any update? I update through wifi, phone went to connect to itunes screen, go through restore, get unknown error occurred (1) message and have tried all 5 suggestions in the "resolving update issues" page from Apple. I also have a Verizon iPhone 4.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I don't know if this will help, but when an update or restore involves iTunes, I have to use my laptop iTunes, which is NOT the regular iTunes.

I cannot sync to the laptop because there is nothing stored there. BUT, it's the only way I can do a restore using iTunes backups. Once the restore is complete, I do a sync with my desktop iTunes - the one I usually use.

If I restore using my regular iTunes on my desktop computer, I get error messages deluxe. Never, never works.

Others have had the same experience - where you have to use a different computer to update or restore and then sync with the normal iTunes. Go figure.

gotanimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
They told me at the Genius bar that it was due to water damage. This pissed me off because it was working fine.

I had to pay $150 for a new one.

Came home. 5.1 installed fine on the new phone, so who knows. [The update failed on both my home iMac and my work Windows XP pc).

It just seems weird to me that the phone would work fine but then fail once you update it.

I would have used my SquareTrade warranty but I need a phone because I'm leaving out of town tomorrow and I would be phoneless for over a week.

The.Rocket.Dog

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
Same Problem Here

Saturday's iPhone 4 OTA update to 5.1 resulted in the dreaded "plug me into iTunes" graphic on the phone. After numerous attempts to download and install through iTunes, all failed. Repeatedly crashed at the "updating firmware" screen producing the unknown error (1) message. Verizon no help. A trip to the Apple Store revealed a somewhat rare but "acknowledged problem" that the firmware had become corrputed. Update not possible and that the phone was bricked. Apple replaced phone with a new unit - no questions asked. All data then successfully restored from iCloud from previous day backup (whew). Good outcome but 4+ hrs of my life I will never get back...

carlbaker89512

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
the iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred 3014

Try plugging your phone into a different USB port. That worked for me. I was getting the error (3014) at first than (-1) error. I plug my phone into a different USB port and it worked great.

Cr4zyW45t3d

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Sounds like my problem

Any update? I update through wifi, phone went to connect to itunes screen, go through restore, get unknown error occurred (1) message and have tried all 5 suggestions in the "resolving update issues" page from Apple. I also have a Verizon iPhone 4.

my error code is 1611 and I checked their advanced help and tried those also and now my phone wont come on even after attaching to cord.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.