Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Symphony pro

These guys are real pieces of work let me tell you.

I don't know if this is a universal problem, but the customer service with this particular group is extremely bad.

They continuously promise release dates and never meet them (off by months). They shut down their web site, delete facebook posts, and pull the app from the app store.

Now I can understand pulling the app, and also missing deadlines, but they way these guys handle money and business is worse than anything i've ever seen. These guys should give up and close down.

It's so bad it's laughable.

That brings me to a general question:

Is this the norm with the app store? I mean, I've got a hunch there are a lot of rank amateur developers who are in no shape to do business and handle people's money. Apple police's the store (thank GOD for that), but huge problems still exist, apparently.

It's just that this is the first experience i've had with a Ponzi-like shoody business. it's a bit shocking
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:35 AM   #2
mac jones
macrumors 68040

THis app pops in and out of iTunes so often it's almost musical.

Last edited by mac jones; Dec 4, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:37 PM   #3
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Hi, me again. Just want to update

More updates COMING SOON!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:18 AM   #4
jokerz126
macrumors regular

so is there a re-vamped Symphony Pro coming very soon?
really tried hard to use this app for creating lead sheets...crashed so much though...NOTION kind of nailed the interface I thought...but, still Symphony Pro seemed to have so many more features...maybe they tried to do too many things and overwhelmed themselves?!
jokerz126 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:54 AM   #5
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Who cares. The people that made it are mental.

I've never seen this behavior in any kind of business. Like a bunch or children or nuts.

They keep posting it and pulling it. They also keep saying a new version will be available within a week, over and over again.

For example. I first noticed this app a few months ago. I bought it. Payed good money. However, it cashed constantly so I started looking around for any news. I found a Facebook page, a home page, and of course the iTunes listing. On all three of these sites they said a new version will be available Oct 26. So I thought great!. around Nov 15 nothing. No news or response on all three pages. I by then had read some discouraging posts about delays. No biggy, what else is new in the software world, right?

So what do they do? they all of a sudden delete any negative posts on Facebook. Shut down their web site and pull it from iTunes. Ok, that's ok, their ***** but I've seen this before.

The problem is they keep posting strange things without any apologies or excuses. This bugs me. they said about two weeks ago that they just got back from a month long vacation and there needs a lot of work for any update. A month long vacation? the day of the release they take a powder? And then come back like nothing has happened. It's like they are trying to piss people off.

Now they keep posting strange stuff now and then, promising things. I've seen that app come and go out of iTunes at least 6 times in the last two months.

whatever.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:41 PM   #6
mac jones
macrumors 68040

....bump....
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:02 AM   #7
jokerz126
macrumors regular

ya..it all doesnt make any sense...they had a forum where any questions you had were answered the same day...it was a super active forum..they were working on bugs constantly...perhaps some sort of personal tragedy happened? you never know...some small shred of info would be helpful though to all the purchasers of their app instead of shutting down all sites, and deleting the negative comments...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:43 PM   #8
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerz126 View Post
ya..it all doesnt make any sense...they had a forum where any questions you had were answered the same day...it was a super active forum..they were working on bugs constantly...perhaps some sort of personal tragedy happened? you never know...some small shred of info would be helpful though to all the purchasers of their app instead of shutting down all sites, and deleting the negative comments...
Well I never saw that. I just came into weirdness.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

You guys should report this to Apple. This sounds like a company that is only interested in the money. They're pulling their app, and republishing updates as an entire new app. This isn't right and their developer status should be revoked.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:54 PM   #10
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You guys should report this to Apple. This sounds like a company that is only interested in the money. They're pulling their app, and republishing updates as an entire new app. This isn't right and their developer status should be revoked.
No that's not the case. They aren't charging for updates. I wish they were.

Updates don't exist.

You would think that this would not be the case. You would think that any normal enterprising person would do what you say. But no, these guys keep posting and pulling the same update, over, and over, like a jack in the box. Makes you dizzy.

So although they aren't thieves of that nature, they are robbing us of our patience and perhaps a couple bucks...somewhere.

Mind you, this a great app.

if it worked.

Last edited by mac jones; Dec 19, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:44 AM   #11
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Wow, it's gotten worse. Now they shut down their Facebook page after a strange mistyped memo about an update that of course never happened.

The person who is in control here must have had a mental breakdown.

I've never seen this type of drama with an app. Almost worth the price of the (non working) program
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:44 PM   #12
Truebluefliplov
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac jones View Post
Wow, it's gotten worse. Now they shut down their Facebook page after a strange mistyped memo about an update that of course never happened.

The person who is in control here must have had a mental breakdown.

I've never seen this type of drama with an app. Almost worth the price of the (non working) program
I am not really surprised. They have been acting erratic for quite a while now. My guess is that the original programmer is no longer there and whoever was left couldn't do the job.
Truebluefliplov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:27 PM   #13
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truebluefliplov View Post
I am not really surprised. They have been acting erratic for quite a while now. My guess is that the original programmer is no longer there and whoever was left couldn't do the job.
Your probably right. Internal problems; it happens

A real shame. Notion as it is now is terrible. Their desktop product is great, but the iPad version feels like a hack in it's present form, although from what I gather they are busy remedying this.

IMHO, you would need to be a glutton for abuse if you used the apps we have now instead of a desktop app. Yet Symphony pro was actually really well thought out and had huge potential.

If the programmers can't deal, they should approach Notion or any other player (Avid or Make Music) and offer to sell it to them; try to sell it to a company with deep pockets, so at least it will survive.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:28 PM   #14
Truebluefliplov
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Your probably right. Internal problems; it happens

A real shame. Notion as it is now is terrible. Their desktop product is great, but the iPad version feels like a hack in it's present form, although from what I gather they are busy remedying this.

IMHO, you would need to be a glutton for abuse if you used the apps we have now instead of a desktop app. Yet Symphony pro was actually really well thought out and had huge potential.

If the programmers can't deal, they should approach Notion or any other player (Avid or Make Music) and offer to sell it to them; try to sell it to a company with deep pockets, so at least it will survive.
I agree. I much prefer Symphony Pro over Notion. Symphony Pro started out with such a great beginning that I looked forward to version 3.0 very much. Oh we'll, maybe in a couple of years, Notion will mature up...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:15 PM   #15
mja-sanjose
macrumors newbie

I've been waiting since October too for the (non existent) update after purchasing the product in August.

Not that I condone the handling of this situation but I may be able to shed some light on the scenario. Back in september I had some email exchanges with their dev team. One of their developers conveyed to me that the app did not generate enough income to cover development costs. Their 'team' consisted of 3 music playing engineers. To make ends meet they began to take on some contract programming work, no doubt to pay the mortgage.

My guess is the contract work encroached on what they thought would be 'free' time to work on the app. Likely those contract customers became somewhat demanding.... I'm by no means a defense attorney , just stating my guess on real life.

As a struggling piano player I've looked quite a bit into this space, hoping for a chance to bring my iPad over to the piano instead of that old pencil and music paper (circa 1600's).

There is a dearth of mobile music notation input apps out there for a reason. Not only does it take years to implement that full feature set but... It is a very difficult problem to solve, especially if the public is expecting the feature set that's available on those behemoth desktop programs to be offered on a smaller, mobile screen with human (non-skinny) fingers as the main input mechanism.

And don't expect the two desktop heavyweights (e.g. Sibelius and Finale) to even attempt to venture into offering a mobile solution. This would directly undercut their cash cow revenue stream, generated by those piggish, many 100s of $$, desktop programs (that we all swear at for having notoriously egregious user interfaces).

I guess we are relegated to weekly searches in the Music category in the App store... Looking for that new app, thats been seasoned, tested for minimal bugs, and has enough resources behind it so multiple regular updates will flow for years to come
mja-sanjose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:41 AM   #16
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja-sanjose View Post
Not that I condone the handling of this situation but I may be able to shed some light on the scenario. .......... Looking for that new app, thats been seasoned, tested for minimal bugs, and has enough resources behind it so multiple regular updates will flow for years to come
Well your an optimist. And what kind of a job requires that you **** over thousands of people you have previously done business with as a job prerequisite?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:53 AM   #17
Truebluefliplov
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja-sanjose View Post
I've been waiting since October too for the (non existent) update after purchasing the product in August.

Not that I condone the handling of this situation but I may be able to shed some light on the scenario. Back in september I had some email exchanges with their dev team. One of their developers conveyed to me that the app did not generate enough income to cover development costs. Their 'team' consisted of 3 music playing engineers. To make ends meet they began to take on some contract programming work, no doubt to pay the mortgage.

My guess is the contract work encroached on what they thought would be 'free' time to work on the app. Likely those contract customers became somewhat demanding.... I'm by no means a defense attorney , just stating my guess on real life.

As a struggling piano player I've looked quite a bit into this space, hoping for a chance to bring my iPad over to the piano instead of that old pencil and music paper (circa 1600's).

There is a dearth of mobile music notation input apps out there for a reason. Not only does it take years to implement that full feature set but... It is a very difficult problem to solve, especially if the public is expecting the feature set that's available on those behemoth desktop programs to be offered on a smaller, mobile screen with human (non-skinny) fingers as the main input mechanism.

And don't expect the two desktop heavyweights (e.g. Sibelius and Finale) to even attempt to venture into offering a mobile solution. This would directly undercut their cash cow revenue stream, generated by those piggish, many 100s of $$, desktop programs (that we all swear at for having notoriously egregious user interfaces).

I guess we are relegated to weekly searches in the Music category in the App store... Looking for that new app, thats been seasoned, tested for minimal bugs, and has enough resources behind it so multiple regular updates will flow for years to come
I have both Sibelius and Finale on my desktop in the music room. I too doubt if they will bring out an iPad version. If they do, it will most definitely carry a hefty price tag. Hopefully if they do come out with an iPad version, it won't be dumbed down like Guitar Pro did with their app. The Notion app, while a skeleton of their desktop app is at least useful to "play around with".

Like others, I will keep looking for "something better"...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:15 AM   #18
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I have both Sibelius and Finale on my desktop in the music room. I too doubt if they will bring out an iPad version. If they do, it will most definitely carry a hefty price tag. Hopefully if they do come out with an iPad version, it won't be dumbed down like Guitar Pro did with their app. The Notion app, while a skeleton of their desktop app is at least useful to "play around with".

I'm not so sure. Not knowing much, but I would imagine it comes down to development and maintenance costs and it looks to me like the iPad app 'form' operates under a different business model .

I mean, look at how these guys who made Symphony Pro have jerked around their user base. In the desktop arena they would (or could not) get away with that.

I'm not sure though. Most likely just wishful thinking (I'm pretty good at that )
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:45 PM   #19
mja-sanjose
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Wow you've got all three desktop players. I agree the iPad GuitarPro app is so way underwhelming, and for the obvious reason.

As with the other two, they have desktop mortgages to protect. I'm sure you realize they've been developing Guitar Pro on the desktop since '97, well over ten years !

Don't want to belabor a point of mine, but having been writing code for over 25yrs myself, a half way decent notation input app in an iPad form factor is a non-trivial undertaking. The desktop app's aren't cheap for a reason.
mja-sanjose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:22 AM   #20
Adagietto
macrumors newbie

Planning a new scam

Does anybody know the name of any of the developers....these guys claim they will put out a purportedly amazing music notation app...they made a mockup video that has been largely criticized for using copyrighted stuff, and displays from other programs to "display their vision"...the fact is they opened a kickstarter fundraiser page and are asking for $170,000 for the development of the app...I was just wondering would these guys be the same people from Symphony Pro, and want to reissue the same thing in disguise...and also raising more money for them....https://www.facebook.com/ThinkMusicTech?fref=ts

the page was opened November 3,2012...
Adagietto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:01 AM   #21
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagietto View Post
Does anybody know the name of any of the developers....these guys claim they will put out a purportedly amazing music notation app...they made a mockup video that has been largely criticized for using copyrighted stuff, and displays from other programs to "display their vision"...the fact is they opened a kickstarter fundraiser page and are asking for $170,000 for the development of the app...I was just wondering would these guys be the same people from Symphony Pro, and want to reissue the same thing in disguise...and also raising more money for them....https://www.facebook.com/ThinkMusicTech?fref=ts

the page was opened November 3,2012...
I'm certain they are not connected.

Symphony Pro was not a scam. It was an excellent program that went belly-up for some reason.

Anyway, that project you mention doesn't look like a scam. Your right to be suspicious of Kickstarter, but there are degrees of deception involved. By nature, all the projects have inherent unrealities, as they are just dreams trying to materialize. So when you donate, do so with open eyes. Your funding a dream.

Last edited by mac jones; Jan 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:55 PM   #22
bobsax
macrumors member

Quote:
I'm certain they are not connected.

Symphony Pro was not a scam. It was an excellent program that went belly-up for some reason.

This is a great thread. Thanks guys for enlightening me.

I bought Symphony Pro and it was just a mess. I don't see how anybody could say it was excellent.

btw I use Finale
I just got this free from the app store and it seems better then SP
http://iwritemusicapp.com

Last edited by bobsax; Mar 6, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
bobsax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 03:09 PM   #23
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsax View Post
This is a great thread. Thanks guys for enlightening me.

I bought Symphony Pro and it was just a mess. I don't see how anybody could say it was excellent.

btw I use Finale
I just got this free from the app store and it seems better then SP
http://iwritemusicapp.com

Wow, thanks for the tip. I had never seen this. I just bought the paid version of Write Music. I haven't tried it yet but it looks great. I don't need playback so this may suit me.

And as far as Symphony Pro being a mess or excellent....that's moot
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:02 PM   #24
jokerz126
macrumors regular

it's back?

you will find this interesting..not sure what this even means?

http://www.symphonypro.net/

resurrected? hope they arent going to re-release it and make people who bought it pay again...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps