Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
If the iPad 5 has the same resolution (PPI) as iPad Mini Retina, which will you buy?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
They can't have the same resolution AND PPI. If the regular iPad and the mini had the same resolution, then the mini would have the higher PPI. If they have the same PPI, then the mini will have a lower resolution.

sgiraldo

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
If the mini has the same battery duration, I'll buy the mini retina, even if the iPad 5 has more ppi. No doubt.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I dream of the day when you don't have to choose, you select the device for the particular requirements/needs/wants you have, and you don't have to limit your choice to one. What I mean is that I love my mini and I can't imagine form factor (for portability) being beaten by anything but the mini, especially in the iPad line, but perhaps a full sized iPad I will soon be able to justify owning (as well) for a dedicated use, such as in the in the kitchen (eBook reader for cookbooks, plus other uses that would actually justify its purchase today). A world like Star Trek (sorry non-trekkies) where all these tablet devices were strewn around every room - that's what I imagine would be ideal, where you had a mini sized one in one room or for one situation, and a full sized one for another, and you wouldn't necessarily choose one device for every situation as people often do now.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Probably the mini because I have the iPad 4 but would need more information about their features.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They can't have the same resolution AND PPI. If the regular iPad and the mini had the same resolution, then the mini would have the higher PPI. If they have the same PPI, then the mini will have a lower resolution.

Exactly.

Why do people find it so hard to understand resolution & ppi ?

Despite having the same resolution the ppi of the iPad mini will be greater. 266 ppi (iPad) versus 326 ppi (iPad mini).

That being said if you can't see the pixels in an iPad, then you probably won't notice any difference between the two screens despite the slightly increased ppi on the mini.

The biggest question still to be resolved is around the trade-offs.

What impact on battery life would a more powerful CPU/GPU and higher resolution display have on the 15 Watt battery of the iPad mini.

Remember currently the iPad requires a 42 watt battery to deliver slightly less battery life than the iPad mini's 15 watt due to the retina display and the more powerful 'X' variant chipset (A5X/A6X) which is clearly far more power hungry.

If Apple just grafted one into the other currently, the iPad mini's battery life would end up dramatically reduced to 3-4 hours, never mind heat dispensation issues created with a smaller frame (less surface area for heat dispensation).

That is despite using a more power efficient screen technology (assuming they go for the IGZO technology)

We can assume two things, apple will have to

1) re-engineer the X variant significantly to reduce power consumption to use it in a mini (unlikely and will never be truly efficient).

2) Apple will utilise the more energy efficient and powerful A7 chip across the entire range of iPhone 5S/iPad and iPad Mini.

Assuming they make the A7 a true quad core chip, it may have enough power to drive a 2048x1536 display without need of an X variant.

However as we have heard NO leaks regarding parts or development of the next generation of Apple chips then the chances of any of this happening in the next 8 weeks as these 'Market Anylyst' predictions have stated on the rumor news, we can take them as being nothing more than mud thrown into the air to generate some amount of interest and activity on the stock exchange and not grounded in reality.

So don't expect a march iPad mini retina refresh, (especially as AU Optronics won't be producing the screen till Q3/Q4 2013) and hope that during the summer in preparation for the new iPhone we start hearing some information regarding the A7 chip.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
The same ppi? The iPad. If the Mini manages a longer battery life, then maybe the Mini.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Is it likely the mini 2 would have retina or even improved ppi though?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

Who knows? Apple is under some serious pressure to squeeze out something. Still, retina plus more battery life than the iPad 4 or 5 seems unlikely to me. Something has to give somewhere.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan

If the mini 2 has retina, it will therefore have improved ppi. And no it wont be just slightly improved. Its called pixel doubling. Thats the way Apple does it. So we wont see 1280x1024, but rather double the resolution to 2048x1536 which is the same as the iPad 3/4. This has to do with scalability of apps so developers don't have to design for a zillion resolutions like android.

----------

If the iPad 5 has the same resolution (PPI) as iPad Mini Retina, which will you buy?

The iPad 5 will never have the same PPI due to the size of the screen. However the will probably have the same resolution eventually. Resolution and PPI are not synonymous. A smaller screen with the same res will have a higher PPI than a larger screen with that same res.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I'll buy the 9.7" one. The whole point of me having a tablet is to replace my need for a laptop for surfing, and simple productivity while away from home..... But I want whatever I'm going to use to have a substantial screen. I am not a fan of the sub 9" market, I would get a note I if I was.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I dream of the day when you don't have to choose, you select the device for the particular requirements/needs/wants you have, and you don't have to limit your choice to one.
You don't have to right now. Some do because of budgetary constraints.

A world like Star Trek
No thanks. I find pockets very useful. And there are far more clothing options than just spandex or robes.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
iPad 5 without a doubt. Love the big 9.7" screen. :cool: I have my iPhone in my pocket at all times for when I'm out and about and is much more mobile than even the iPad mini.

GBreezy

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
I'm the opposite. I don't like the huge screen because it makes the device too clunky to hold.

So the mini for me.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It depends on the iPad 5 form factor, assuming everything else is roughly equal, and at least as good as today (for example, battery life).

Even though the OP had a little confusion with Resolution vs. PPI, I think the real question is: would you buy the physically smaller product if it had the same specs as the larger device (so it's no longer a question of size vs. resolution).

Though to be honest, I think it's more about *weight*, for me at least. A Mini isn't much more portable because of the HxWxD, it's more usable because it's so light.

So then for me, it becomes a question of how much lighter will the iPad 5 be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.