Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Looking to add some more USB ports to my Mac Mini and was hoping someone would have a good suggestion. I would like it to be powered so I could charge my iPhone, iPad etc. I see Belkin makes one that sits underneath the Mini but I'm not sure how compatible it is with a 2012 Mini.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Looking to add some more USB ports to my Mac Mini and was hoping someone would have a good suggestion. I would like it to be powered so I could charge my iPhone, iPad etc. I see Belkin makes one that sits underneath the Mini but I'm not sure how compatible it is with a 2012 Mini.

There are lots of USB splitters out there but I tend to like to maximize utility.

You may want to check out OWC and look at

- Macessity products
and
- Mini Stack (empty) which is an external drive unit (same size as the Mini) that has additional ports.

I had one of the Belkin units you described (older model I suppose) and it was well - lacking and inconsistent. However a friend of mine wanted it so it made a Mac pal gift.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
A warning about the MiniStack: it causes interference with Bluetooth and WiFi when using USB 3.0. OWC sells an optional shielding kit for the Mac Mini Bluetooth antenna but it requires disassembling the Mini to install it. There is no fix for the WiFi issue; apparently I was the first person to report it. It affects WiFi networks using 2.4GHz.

I returned the MiniStack and OWC refunded the entire purchase price without charging me the usual 15% restocking fee for an open-box return. So that is a tacit acknowledgement of a problem with the MiniStack...

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
A warning about the MiniStack: it causes interference with Bluetooth and WiFi when using USB 3.0. OWC sells an optional shielding kit for the Mac Mini Bluetooth antenna but it requires disassembling the Mini to install it. There is no fix for the WiFi issue; apparently I was the first person to report it. It affects WiFi networks using 2.4GHz.

I returned the MiniStack and OWC refunded the entire purchase price without charging me the usual 15% restocking fee for an open-box return. So that is a tacit acknowledgement of a problem with the MiniStack...

This is a problem with USB 3.0 in general, not just MiniStack and the Mac Mini. Same thing happens in PCs, Mac Pro, and any external USB 3.0 hard drive.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
It's not a problem with the OWC Mercury Elite Pro enclosures.

But I have a different problem: the drives will not spin-down when the Mac is powered-off. When connected via FW800 the problem goes away.

I'm working with OWC to find out if is a defective enclosure (not likely since both of my new enclosures are affected...) or something else.

tradis

Suspended
Jan 31, 2013
Santa Ana, CA
I was thinking about buying the Satechi 4-port as well, but it's 2.0. Their Facebook page shows development of a 7-port 3.0, so I might just wait for that.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
While it isn't one that sits under your mini, the Belkin 3.0 SuperSpeed hub at least matches it somewhat in design.
7WST0uF.jpg

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Just got my mom a Mac mini and she will be back from vacation in a couple weeks. I used up all the USB ports on the mini and still need a couple more, so I'm looking for a hub. Anything else out there you guys recommend?

Also one that I think of it couldn't I use the Built in Bluetooth for wireless devices? Is this how apples wireless products work? That would free up two ports right there by not having to use the Logitech wireless adapter and another one for the mouse.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Just got my mom a Mac mini and she will be back from vacation in a couple weeks. I used up all the USB ports on the mini and still need a couple more, so I'm looking for a hub. Anything else out there you guys recommend?

Also one that I think of it couldn't I use the Built in Bluetooth for wireless devices? Is this how apples wireless products work? That would free up two ports right there by not having to use the Logitech wireless adapter and another one for the mouse.

9 data ports and 1 charging port

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NGQWL2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

same aluminum as a mini but does not charge

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A79GOYU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013

Kanex makes USB3.0 hubs specifically for Macs (and PC).

http://www.kanexlive.com/usb3hub4x

I use this hub.

I run an Apple software Raid-1 with two 4TB 7200rpm Barracudas on it and get speeds (Black Magic) very close to the ones I get when running directly from two ports on the back of the mini. About 260MB/s on the Kanex and 270-280MB/s directly plugged into two ports on the mini.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
I got one of these:

51ozoRSMMdL._SL1294_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker®-Uspe...UTF8&qid=1374688723&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+usb

And it's completely brilliant. VL812 chipset - so lightening fast - and it looks great and a perfect match for my iMac and Mac Mini. USB3 speed is just fast as if you directly connect devices to your Mac. And you can mix and match USB2 and USB3 devices at full speed as well. And it's rock solid. I run 7 or 8 devices on mine permanently and haven't had a solitary glitch out of it.

The only trouble is, it looks like Anker have perhaps discontinued it. I can't find it on the iAnker website, nor on Amazon.com. If you can find one, I strongly recommend it.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
The only trouble is, it looks like Anker have perhaps discontinued it. I can't find it on the iAnker website, nor on Amazon.com. If you can find one, I strongly recommend it.
Yep. That's too bad. It's the one I originally referred to and linked to up (back in January) above on Amazon, but the link now takes you to new models. They do appear to have discontinued the Mac-like aluminum model.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Yep. That's too bad. It's the one I originally referred to and linked to up (back in January) above on Amazon, but the link now takes you to new models. They do appear to have discontinued the Mac-like aluminum model.

Sorry, I missed your earlier link.

Funny thing is, this product is still widely available in Europe. But it is still available in the US, branded as Aitech. Here you go - $60.

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-backw...uminum/dp/B00A79GOYU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Last edited:

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker®-Uspe...UTF8&qid=1374688723&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+usb

And it's completely brilliant. VL812 chipset - so lightening fast - and it looks great and a perfect match for my iMac and Mac Mini. USB3 speed is just fast as if you directly connect devices to your Mac. And you can mix and match USB2 and USB3 devices at full speed as well. And it's rock solid. I run 7 or 8 devices on mine permanently and haven't had a solitary glitch out of it.

It looks very "cold-war era" ish. Like something straight out of a Russian bunker. :)

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I bought this on eBay for $20 & free shipping

Look at this on eBay:

7 Port High Speed USB 3.0 Hub with 3A Power Adapter Windows and Mac Apple White

http://bit.ly/14ZmRhp

Is a USA seller

Ill report back with a mini review when I get it

I plan to connect 3 external drives 3.0 to it, I like it because it has 4 ports in one side & 3 in the other , plus an off/on switch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.