Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronchow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Just curious, my entire family has 4 iPhones, and I have an iPad for myself, and they are all under my Apple account. I remember somewhere that an app can only install on up to 5 devices, so if I plan to buy another iPad mini, will I still be allowed to install my previously purchased apps? Or am I simply remember incorrectly?

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I believe the limit is 10 devices, 5 of which can be computers.

Didn't know that, thanks.

I installed a new SSD into my MBP last week. Before doing it, I forgot to deauthorise the old disk. To save me from swapping out the SSD again, is it possible to remove that computer manually from iTunes? One can manager devices in iTunes, but for computers it seems you can only remove all.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
I use my personal apple id for work. I manage all the iPads for my office. I have downloaded my copy of iWork on at least 13 iPads.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
And you think this is ok?

Why wouldn't it be okay if apple allows multiple devices to use accounts? Theres a reason you can use different apple id's for the store, and icloud on the same phone right?

Knowing how Apple is with this kind of stuff, they can easily disable this but they have always made it run this way.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Why wouldn't it be okay if apple allows multiple devices to use accounts? Theres a reason you can use different apple id's for the store, and icloud on the same phone right?

Knowing how Apple is with this kind of stuff, they can easily disable this but they have always made it run this way.

Really? This is how you rationalize it?

Wow.

Multiple devices are allowed to use the same account if THE SAME USER has multiple devices. There is no way for Apple to tell if you enable 5 devices and choose to hand them to 5 people, when you really should have every UNIQUE USER have their own account and PAY for their own apps. Just because Apple is being nice doesn't mean we need to take advantage of the situation. What is wrong is wrong, and handing out one copy of a software to 13 coworkers or 5 family members is just plain wrong.

Sorry you can't see that.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
So you want to buy an app once, and have you and your whole family be able to use it?

:eek:

Totally OK, there's language in the EULA about this sort of usage scenario.

This however, is not covered in the EULA.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Really? This is how you rationalize it?

Wow.

Multiple devices are allowed to use the same account if THE SAME USER has multiple devices. There is no way for Apple to tell if you enable 5 devices and choose to hand them to 5 people, when you really should have every UNIQUE USER have their own account and PAY for their own apps. Just because Apple is being nice doesn't mean we need to take advantage of the situation. What is wrong is wrong, and handing out one copy of a software to 13 coworkers or 5 family members is just plain wrong.

Sorry you can't see that.

Family use is okay and thats what I was referring to. I quoted what you asked without taking into account who you also quoted. A lot of software is designed to be freely used by a multiple person household. However there are always restrictions on commercial use and its true that you shouldn't use apps not specially licensed to be used by multiple for-profit users.

To make it clear the EULA says
APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

(i) If you are an individual acting in your personal capacity, you may download and sync an App Store Product for personal, noncommercial use on any iOS Device you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download and sync an App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on one or more iOS Devices used by that individual that you own or control or (b) multiple individuals, on a single shared iOS Device you own or control. For example, a single employee may use an App Store Product on both the employee's iPhone and iPad, or multiple students may serially use an App Store Product on a single iPad located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each iOS Device used serially by multiple users requires a separate license.

(iii) You shall be able to store App Store Products from up to five different Accounts at a time on a compatible iOS Device.

And it agrees with what we have said.

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

To make it clear the EULA says...

And it agrees with what we have said.

Sure, and what you are saying is that one can "control" multiple iPads, one for me, and for Mom, and one for Dad, and another for Sister, and another for Brother, four for grandparents, 6 for nephews, buy one copy of software and have it used by 15 people??????

Somehow I doubt that's what Apple had in mind, but ok. Whatever helps you sleep at night....

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Just curious, my entire family has 4 iPhones, and I have an iPad for myself, and they are all under my Apple account. I remember somewhere that an app can only install on up to 5 devices, so if I plan to buy another iPad mini, will I still be allowed to install my previously purchased apps? Or am I simply remember incorrectly?

One account multiple users quickly gets out of had with kids.

hsuthard

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'd like more clarification on this. I share my iTunes account with my three kids and husband. My husband also has his own account which he uses predominantly, but the kids don't own their own credit cards and all use my account. Between the four of us, we have four iPhones, three iPads, three iPod touches, plus our three Mac computers (one son has a pc ;) ). We've also had devices replaced through the years via AppleCare replacements so that my apps have been installed on even more devices.

I have never seen an error message telling me I couldn't install on a device, and I don't intend to be breaking any EULA's either. But we all have automatic downloads turned on (me, so I can see what my kids are downloading, and them because they like similar things).

We also have iTunes Match to share music between all our devices as well. Is there a device limit there, too?

Am I breaking laws here? That surely was not my intent.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Sure, and what you are saying is that one can "control" multiple iPads, one for me, and for Mom, and one for Dad, and another for Sister, and another for Brother, four for grandparents, 6 for nephews, buy one copy of software and have it used by 15 people??????

Somehow I doubt that's what Apple had in mind, but ok. Whatever helps you sleep at night....

Didn't I already clarify that we are in agreement that it is good for home use but not in a workplace? No one is using 16 copies other than the poster you were questioning before and that was in a non family setting.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Didn't I already clarify that we are in agreement that it is good for home use but not in a workplace? No one is using 16 copies other than the poster you were questioning before and that was in a non family setting.

I AM talking about a family setting. How much is too much? Me and my wife, or 15 family members? At what point do you abuse Apple's policy of multiple devices?

I have my Apple ID and my wife has hers. If she wants an app she needs to buy it, I ain't giving her mine. Same with my Dad or my brother. I have an iPhone and two iPads that are MINE. On those three devices I only buy the app once. THAT is the difference.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
I AM talking about a family setting. How much is too much? Me and my wife, or 15 family members? At what point do you abuse Apple's policy of multiple devices?

I have my Apple ID and my wife has hers. If she wants an app she needs to buy it, I ain't giving her mine. Same with my Dad or my brother. I have an iPhone and two iPads that are MINE. On those three devices I only buy the app once. THAT is the difference.

That would be up to the user to decide as Apple has worded it very vague and just stated any device you own or control and the definition of that would be up to the individual.

(iii) You shall be able to store App Store Products from up to five different Accounts at a time on a compatible iOS Device.

This also shows that they do understand family use and generally allow app sharing between devices. Imagine if you had 5 kids and each one had an ipod/ipad + 2 and your wife thats already 7 people and you technically own all of your kids' devices so its still fair game. If they ever wanted to limit how many devices can use a single ID due to abuse they can easily do so like how they keep track of iTunes authorized computers. But as far as it stands anyone can decide for themselves how many devices there are under their "control". I cannot imagine where 10+ devices not owned by you or close family would not count as abuse though :apple:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
...If they ever wanted to limit how many devices can use a single ID due to abuse they can easily do so like how they keep track of iTunes authorized computers. ...

Just because they are not locking it down is not a free license to do whatever you want.

You agree that the iTunes Service and certain iTunes Products include security technology that limits your use of iTunes Products and that, whether or not iTunes Products are limited by security technology, you shall use iTunes Products in compliance with the applicable usage rules established by Apple and its licensors (“Usage Rules”), and that any other use of the iTunes Products may constitute a copyright infringement.

Letting multiple PEOPLE use the apps you buy is just plain wrong. Apple has allowed you to use it on multiple devices "under YOUR control". Not under your kids control.

There is no such FAMILY license that I've seen. Developers deserve being paid for their apps being used my multiple PEOPLE.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Just because they are not locking it down is not a free license to do whatever you want.

Letting multiple PEOPLE use the apps you buy is just plain wrong. Apple has allowed you to use it on multiple devices "under YOUR control". Not under your kids control.

There is no such FAMILY license that I've seen. Developers deserve being paid for their apps being used my multiple PEOPLE.

Like it or not thats the way it works man. The old licensing system à la PCs simply does not apply to the iOS ecosystem. I understand what you are saying but its not what Apple agrees on. They only have usage scenarios and guidelines specifically for multiple device or single device with multiple apple id's without strict mentioning that apps are only to be used on devices that the apple id owner owns or controls. If they only wanted one person and that persons personally owned devices to be able to share apps it would specifically say devices that you own and omit the part about any devices under your control.

If this was really a problem that is worth getting riled up for developers would have stopped developing for the platform until Apple stopped purchases from being received on multiple devices and it is simply not the case. And as far as I am concerned; I am under control of my kid's devices.

This post explains a lot of it but in regards to the Mac App Store which has the same EULA as the iOS App Store.
http://www.macworld.com/article/1157018/appstore_licensing.html

Rights and sites
When you buy an app on the Mac App Store, you’re getting the rights to run that program on any Macs you own and operate, for your personal use. Basically, if your household has a half-dozen different Macs, including desktops and laptops, you can buy a copy of Gratuitous Space Battles and play it on every single one of them. Consider a purchase of consumer software via the Mac App Store to be a bit like buying a household site license for the app.

The situation is slightly different for apps that are considered commercial or professional in nature. For apps that fall into this category—Aperture’s a good example—the Mac App Store license says that you essentially can install that item on computers you use or on a single computer shared by multiple people. Basically think of it as a one-seat license for a pro app.

In other words, the Mac App Store’s purchasing system is not designed so that a podcasting company can spend $15 for GarageBand and equip 30 different Macs with a copy. But if you want to buy a game and put it on your desktop Mac, your laptop, your wife’s laptop, and your daughter’s laptop, go for it.

And this is what I have been saying all along: fair to use with immediate family no matter how many (of course use your reasonable judgement as to how many would be "fair") and you cannot do the same if you are running a commercial app or commercial services with that app.

Last edited:

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008

You're being ridiculous and also rather sanctimonious. They allow 10 devices. What single individual has 10 devices?! No one. So what is their intention is allowing 10 devices? To allow families to use apps in exactly the way the OP is doing.

Care to offer another explanation?

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
You're being ridiculous and also rather sanctimonious. They allow 10 devices. What single individual has 10 devices?! No one. So what is their intention is allowing 10 devices? To allow families to use apps in exactly the way the OP is doing.

Care to offer another explanation?

I think what got him was the guy sharing 13 copies of iWork at his work ;) which is against the EULA.

OP: To answer your question; yes you can use one account on 6 iOS devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.