Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
For ICS/JB onwards, you can go "Application" settings and disable those bloatware you dont want.

Thanks for the info. I check videos often and saw that myself. It's a start but I'd rather nuke it like you can in winMO you know. Rooting works but I don't wanna do that.

Should be able to just delete it though, don't understand what the deal is. All the big three tech companies can push these carrier companies around like little kids anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Posting this from my S III, I don't have issues with battery life with typical use. Much like my iPhone 4S, fire up a demanding game and the battery life divebombs. After learning the different nature of using the Galaxy S III, all my accounts set up and making the device "mine", I have little to no problem at all with it.

Both phones have their virtues and issues but it's all about user preference. I've watched full length movies on the S3 and my iPhone 4S. The clear winner is obvious with the larger display.

Comparing Android to Windows Mobile earlier in this topic is absurd! Even with a fast processor on anew Windows Mobile device was insanely slow and cumbersome and I've tested plenty. Calling Android of comparing to Windows Mobile would be like calling iOS a feature phone OS.

Clearly there are many who just have buyers remorse (or traders). I've turned down offers from people wanting to trade an unlocked iPhone 5 for my T-Mobile variant of the Galaxy S III (which I also unlocked).

The S III is a beast of a phone for those who love options and a lot more control over the device. The iPhone 4S is just one of the best "grab & go" phones out on the market. There's less fine control but to many, it's a important issue just as those who prefer more control over the OS and hardware.

Best example, the factory camera. The Galaxy S III has the options of many high end point and shoot cameras where the iOS camera really offers little in comparison.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Best example, the factory camera. The Galaxy S III has the options of many high end point and shoot cameras where the iOS camera really offers little in comparison.
Except that the overall picture quality is better on the iPhone, especially with low-light pics.

By the way, what are some of these available camera options on the S3?

Thanks.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
I went from IP 5 to GS3 last week and so far really enjoying the change. Yes its not as easy to figure stuff out but anyone with any amount of common sense can get there with ease.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
I have also traded my iPhone 4s for an international s3 32gb. Best decision ever. I love big screens and I couldn't stand the tiny screen of 4s.

After 4.1.2 the phone is perfect. The only problem is that the international version has only 1gb ram(832 available) and sometimes the chrome re-renders some tabs which I have previously opened.

I have stock 4.1.2 with nova launcher and I haven't had a single redraw on home screen or anything else. Battery life is great also. Super fast-super smooth!

Don't be afraid to leave ios. You'll be amazed by android(after 4.1.2 of course!)

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
I have also traded my iPhone 4s for an international s3 32gb. Best decision ever. I love big screens and I couldn't stand the tiny screen of 4s.

After 4.1.2 the phone is perfect. The only problem is that the international version has only 1gb ram(832 available) and sometimes the chrome re-renders some tabs which I have previously opened.

I have stock 4.1.2 with nova launcher and I haven't had a single redraw on home screen or anything else. Battery life is great also. Super fast-super smooth!

Don't be afraid to leave ios. You'll be amazed by android(after 4.1.2 of course!)

I agree with all of the above except for battery life. Only on power saving mode is it anywhere near acceptable. Android system seems to be the biggest drain on my battery.

Also back to the OP's problems regarding iTunes sync. Once you've downloaded the free software its as quick (If not a little quicker) to sync the GS3 to iTunes than my old iPhone 5s, each time you want to add music etc..

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I really do not believe that at all. No one who uses their phone, even just a casual user, will get 2 days with any recent smart phone.

I get 2 days on my 4S with wifi on. Messaging and light web use. No probs.

See I refuse to let a company lock me into their "ecosystem". If I can pay $300-800 for a phone, $50 worth of apps ain't ****.

I've actually made money on every iPhone upgrade. You just need to know when it is best to sell :cool:

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I hate the way power saving mode is detremental to the S3's performance. I know people who just leave it on all the time. Why even bother getting a quad-core phone!

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
You don't have to sync music, you can just drag and drop it, or copy paste it, how is that hard?

Because the people commenting in this thread believe that if a phone doesn't operate like an iphone and use itunes, it is not a good phone.
Remember, these same people have no idea what drag and drop files means, since Apple prevents them from doing such basic features.

I do find this thread comical though. I'm laughing at most of the comments.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Because the people commenting in this thread believe that if a phone doesn't operate like an iphone and use itunes, it is not a good phone.
Remember, these same people have no idea what drag and drop files means, since Apple prevents them from doing such basic features.

I do find this thread comical though. I'm laughing at most of the comments.

Most negative comments from Android users is that they can't see the bigger picture.

I have and iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and iMac. With Apples ecosystem, you tell me why I would need "Drag and Drop".

Renzatic

Suspended
Hah. You go right ahead and use CR for buying smartphones and see how that works out for you. Those guys are a joke for anything beyond a washer & dryer set.

That's right! I haven't liked them since that one time they had the audacity to NOT shower Apple with golden praise! How dare they!

----------

I have and iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and iMac. With Apples ecosystem, you tell me why I would need "Drag and Drop".

Probably because it's convenient and simple? I drag and drop stuff all the time into iTunes.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Most negative comments from Android users is that they can't see the bigger picture.

And I have an iMac, MBP, 3 ATV's and had iPads and iPhones. If you have to ask the question, you really need to stay within the walled garden.
It amazes me that people still use iTunes. Talk about crap software.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
And I have an iMac, MBP, 3 ATV's and had iPads and iPhones. If you have to ask the question, you really need to stay within the walled garden.
It amazes me that people still use iTunes. Talk about crap software.

Sorry, you didn't answer my question?

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

Does it matter if I did? You are tethered to an outdated platform, with outdated and limited software. You prefer this apparently, so good luck to you. (And I am not referring to Mac's in this response. I am referring to itunes and ios based devices.)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Does it matter if I did? You are tethered to an outdated platform, with outdated and limited software. You prefer this apparently, so good luck to you. (And I am not referring to Mac's in this response. I am referring to itunes and ios based devices.)

What's outdated about it?

Marthinusswart

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Lol cant think of a most simple and probably faster way to transfer music to a device :p not sure why he say "worst way" ; never used the sync fom itunes, i just drag and drop manually.

I have a htc hd2 from a friend here wich i ask him if can play for a few days with it :) (he wanted me to install android) the Os it came was win6 and i didnt use it, googled how to flash these thing and wow right now its loaded with android 4.0.4 and it works REALLY NICE and to my surprise these phone is from 2009 ! Hardly any lag so i guess those samsung galaxys must be lag free; tomorrow im going to flash with win7 and im very excited !

I use only sync, trying to remember what albums i bought since the last copy paste is a problem. With sync I plugin and it auto syncs my latest albums, no need to think

----------

Well I wouldn't let a few people's opinions deter you, Android's not for everyone, nor is iOS it all comes down to the person. I'd give it a shot if you get the chance, worst case senario you ending up returning the phone and losing a little money which is worth it in my opinion to come to a conclusion, one way or another.

Well i did it, and I am glad I did, I now know I am an iPhone guy, Android is NOT for me. The painful wait to get Jelly Bean on my S3 was a reminder of one thing I hate about the Android eco system, late updates or none at all. The music player was horrible and the kies software is bad, and then all the S-... Apps, really not for me.

Renzatic

Suspended

I'll answer it for you. While having everything sync up hands free is a nice feature to be sure, it practically requires you to use Apple devices exclusively to get the "true" seamless experience.

But that's beside the point. When it comes right down to it, drag and drop is still the best way to go about organizing your files and folders. You don't need it for some things, like movies, music, books, or anything else that can be metatagged from the storefront and easily organized within a program. But what about project files you're working on? Files you want to port between devices? I've done a few big projects in Pages before, and let me tell you, it was a huge pain in the ass having to port a bunch of pictures from iTunes to my camera roll, then individually select each picture so I could sort it into it's own subfolder in Photos. Being able to marquee select, drag it, and drop it into a subfolder accessible through finder/explorer would've taken roughly 1/5th the amount of time, and considerably less clicks.

In short, auto sync only works for things that are already organized for you, and hardly replaces good ole drag 'n drop.

Marthinusswart

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013

If it ain't broke ...

Marthinusswart

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Funny. I remember all the iFans saying the same thing about a 3.5" screen, when the iPhone 4 came out. And then again when the 4S came out, as justification for a tiny screen. :rolleyes:

Well i dumped my S3 4.8" for an iPhone 5 4", and not missing it. Having a phone fitting in my pockets works for me, the samsung required a man bag, depending on the pants i wore that day.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
For some Android is beyond their ability to grasp new things. It's not for everyone. That's the beauty of iOS, Apples following the Walmart model & accommodating as many as possible. The sales volume proves it.

Now open to discounting their products, Apple is learning the benefits of mainstream retailing. Before long they'll be using the powerful word "sale" in their ads. Apple has so much gross profit to give up, they will be easily able to enter the world of "loss leaders" further growing their market share.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
What's outdated about it?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe the inability to add multiple attachments to an email? How about clearing a single notification? Maybe you would like to use something other than Safari as your default web browser? How about accessing all your files? Maybe you want to get rid of those bloatware Icons from your screen, like Newstand? Or maybe you want to place icons wherever you feel like? Or how about adding more apps to a folder than say 12? What if I want to move a 1gb file from my phone to someone elses phone or tablet? Using an external sd card would be nice, wouldn't it?

These are just a few examples of why iOS and the iDevices that run on it are outdated. And why people are looking to phones like the S3. (And I didn't even bother to mention iOS's lack of bluetooth support for peripherals, lack of NFC, lack of customization other than changing your wallpaper, and so on...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.