Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Javik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Australia
I've been using Apple's in built samples and instruments included in Logic Pro for 2 years now and am looking to broaden my sounds to get what i want from my ideas.

I really don't know much about the vast variety of 3rd party options out there and am looking for a huge pack really. I just want the sky's limit but I also want some good quality sounds.

Mainly RNB/urban type of sounds but chiefly looking for some real organic percussive sounds. Shakers-African instruments --> to real out there sounds.

Do we download these samples? buy them in store?

Any pointers or directions would really be welcome and appreciated.

Cheers

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
I'm sure there are some out there, but you're going to eventually find out what everyone else has - if you want a variety of sample packs, the majority of them are designed to be used with NI's Kontakt.

There are some out there for EXS24 - check out http://www.kvraudio.com/ - a very informative site that also has some free content.

Best luck - if you find something EXS24 specific, please post.

Javik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Australia
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. And the available instrument plugins at this website look great.

But what i really am interested in finding are actual audio samples (in the form of wav. or aiff. files) that i can use with the drag and drop sampler to create my own custom instruments and so i can manipulate the sounds quickly and easily. I used the ProSonus Studio One DAW for a bit and really got used to (and loved!) the drag and drop sampler.

So any great pure audio sample packs would be appreciated. This site looks a bit to complicated for me

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've been using Apple's in built samples and instruments included in Logic Pro for 2 years now and am looking to broaden my sounds to get what i want from my ideas....

You will likely be running Kontakt as an AU inside Logic and then using Kontakt samples

Here is one example from them. You can buy just this one smple set for $99 or you can buy a massive colection of everything they make for only a few times more, but here is the African drum collection. There are demos on the web page.
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/orchestral-cinematic/west-africa/

But,... even if you have been using Logic for year, it just changed. That 35GB download for Logic X content must have loads of new stuff. I have look tried anything but a tiny bit of it. So download the new drums and have a listen, tell us what's in there. I doubt many people know yet.

Have you asked about acoustic piano sounds I could say quite a bit. There are loads of very good ones out there

There are TWO versions of Kontakt, the free "player" and the much more expensive paid version. The full version is like ESX24 in that you can load your own stuff and tweak it forever, build scripts and whatever. Player only plays a few of these $99 libraries. The paid version plays anything.

You can also buy "Komplet" whith has drum machine, dump synth and all. But so does Logic. All this works from within Logic as an AU.

EDIT: These guys usually do a fine job. High quality samples. But I know nothing about percussion. They are on half price sale right now, makes them cheap and they offer ESX24 format that you can download.
http://www.sampletekk.com/products.php?cat=49

Their "anvil" samples are kind of unique just "'clanking" on big hunks of metal. $12.50 is an impulse buy.

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Native Instruments. Specifically: Maschine, Battery, and Kontakt.

And just the OP's luck too. NI just started running a 50% off sale on Kontakt 5 and all cinematic related sample libraries. I can finally get Damage and Evolve :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.