Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:31 PM   #1
sytrusze
macrumors member

No CMD + X shortcut

Hey,

why does Apple choose not to integrate the CMD + X shortcut (cut files from one location to another)? It really makes no sense. At the moment, the only way you this is possible is through third party apps.

Does Apple have a specific reason for not integrating this? (it better be good )
sytrusze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:35 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Mba osx: How to "move" files in finder without it duplicating?

Command-C to select the file(s), then Command-V to paste a copy or Option-Command-V to move.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:52 PM   #3
sytrusze
macrumors member

Thanks, didn't knew that trick. Don't understand the logic behind it though. Cutting/moving text is done with CMD X and cutting/moving files is done with CMD + OPTION + V. On top of that, CMD + X is an unused shortcut, it isn't used by any other function so they could easily fix this flaw...but who am I to tell Apple what to do, right
sytrusze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:17 AM   #4
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytrusze View Post
Thanks, didn't knew that trick. Don't understand the logic behind it though. Cutting/moving text is done with CMD X and cutting/moving files is done with CMD + OPTION + V. On top of that, CMD + X is an unused shortcut, it isn't used by any other function so they could easily fix this flaw...but who am I to tell Apple what to do, right
Yeah I know, it's a weird little thing. But Apple doesn't want you messing around in that old fashioned file system anymore
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
Yeah I know, it's a weird little thing. But Apple doesn't want you messing around in that old fashioned file system anymore
That's not true. There's nothing preventing a user from "messing around" in the file system. You just need to know what shortcuts work in OS X.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytrusze View Post
Hey,

why does Apple choose not to integrate the CMD + X shortcut (cut files from one location to another)? It really makes no sense. At the moment, the only way you this is possible is through third party apps.

Does Apple have a specific reason for not integrating this? (it better be good )
I believe the concern is that if you do a command-x with a group of files and the power goes out or you have a drive glitch, those files would be in limbo and get corrupted/deleted and your system would be sunk.
Weaselboy is online now   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help