Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:31 PM   #1
sytrusze
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
No CMD + X shortcut

Hey,

why does Apple choose not to integrate the CMD + X shortcut (cut files from one location to another)? It really makes no sense. At the moment, the only way you this is possible is through third party apps.

Does Apple have a specific reason for not integrating this? (it better be good )
sytrusze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:35 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Mba osx: How to "move" files in finder without it duplicating?

Command-C to select the file(s), then Command-V to paste a copy or Option-Command-V to move.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:52 PM   #3
sytrusze
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Thanks, didn't knew that trick. Don't understand the logic behind it though. Cutting/moving text is done with CMD X and cutting/moving files is done with CMD + OPTION + V. On top of that, CMD + X is an unused shortcut, it isn't used by any other function so they could easily fix this flaw...but who am I to tell Apple what to do, right
sytrusze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:17 AM   #4
vmachiel
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytrusze View Post
Thanks, didn't knew that trick. Don't understand the logic behind it though. Cutting/moving text is done with CMD X and cutting/moving files is done with CMD + OPTION + V. On top of that, CMD + X is an unused shortcut, it isn't used by any other function so they could easily fix this flaw...but who am I to tell Apple what to do, right
Yeah I know, it's a weird little thing. But Apple doesn't want you messing around in that old fashioned file system anymore
__________________
2010 MBP, 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD; 32GB Silver iPhone 5S; 32 GB Wifi iPad (3rd gen)
vmachiel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
Yeah I know, it's a weird little thing. But Apple doesn't want you messing around in that old fashioned file system anymore
That's not true. There's nothing preventing a user from "messing around" in the file system. You just need to know what shortcuts work in OS X.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytrusze View Post
Hey,

why does Apple choose not to integrate the CMD + X shortcut (cut files from one location to another)? It really makes no sense. At the moment, the only way you this is possible is through third party apps.

Does Apple have a specific reason for not integrating this? (it better be good )
I believe the concern is that if you do a command-x with a group of files and the power goes out or you have a drive glitch, those files would be in limbo and get corrupted/deleted and your system would be sunk.
Weaselboy is online now   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMD+TAB shortcut addition tinmarks OS X 0 Sep 5, 2013 09:09 AM
terminal cmd R shortcut 421no Mac Basics and Help 2 Feb 18, 2013 10:01 AM
How to create a shortcut with CMD+Shift? Moshe1010 MacBook Pro 2 Nov 3, 2012 09:37 AM
Retina cmd-shift-3 cmd-shift-4 screengrabs are double resolution upon save.... Sean Dempsey MacBook Pro 7 Jun 15, 2012 04:15 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC