Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:25 AM   #1
th1nk
macrumors newbie

5.1 optical out from MacBook Air

Hi,
I just found out that the Macbook Air does not have the combined optical out port like the MacBook Pro. I am currently looking for a cheap solution to get optical TOSLINK or coaxial signal to my receiver which has no HDMI port.

I googled quite a bit and was shocked that I could not find a solution.

Really, no one has found a solution for this yet? I mean there just has to be an external soundcard with Bitstream-Passtrough or some kind of HDMI to TOSLINK audio adapter or something? I found some USB adapters, but it seems the 5.1 only works on windows, Mac ist stereo only. WTF?

Please tell me that I will be able to get my delicious 5.1 from my new MacBook Air when it arrives, or I will have to send it back and wait for the new thin MacBook Pro 13"!
th1nk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:43 AM   #2
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by th1nk View Post
Hi,
I just found out that the Macbook Air does not have the combined optical out port like the MacBook Pro. I am currently looking for a cheap solution to get optical TOSLINK or coaxial signal to my receiver which has no HDMI port.

I googled quite a bit and was shocked that I could not find a solution.

Really, no one has found a solution for this yet? I mean there just has to be an external soundcard with Bitstream-Passtrough or some kind of HDMI to TOSLINK audio adapter or something? I found some USB adapters, but it seems the 5.1 only works on windows, Mac ist stereo only. WTF?

Please tell me that I will be able to get my delicious 5.1 from my new MacBook Air when it arrives, or I will have to send it back and wait for the new thin MacBook Pro 13"!
I did some Googling and found this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001OZ2K8/...ackoverfl08-20
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Monkeyat
macrumors regular

The best solution, IMHO is to use an Airport Express from Apple and you will get a 3.5-mm audio minijack for analog or optical digital sound. And if you don't have one, you can get a mini-jack to Toslink adapter from Amazon

Take a look here
Monkeyat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:08 AM   #4
th1nk
macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies!
will the airport express also work with VLC and other players to output true 5.1? or is it limited to itunes and other airplay-enabled applications?

also, 99 bucks for optical audio is a lot of cash... has anyone successfully used a 30 buck usb soundcard to achieve simular results? I found the M-Audio Transit that supports digital AC3 pass-through, but production is discontinued. is there a similar product available right now?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Monkeyat
macrumors regular

I personally use Airport Express and I love it! It's not just for audio, but it's a WiFi router and printer sharing. Alongside I use Airfoil to stream all audio to it. It's just great !

You can find a refurbished one from Apple at $69,00 here.
Monkeyat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:31 AM   #6
th1nk
macrumors newbie

I think I found another cheaper and easier solution: one could connect the macbook air via HDMI converter to this HDMI Switch:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

this switch has an SPDIF optical audio output, which is just what I need. the macbook air allows encoded AC3 audio over HDMI, right?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:16 PM   #7
th1nk
macrumors newbie

Update:

I ordered the Ligawo HDMI switch and tested the optical out with my PS3 and it works with DTS and Dolby Digital!!!

my macbook air will arive tomorrow and I will check if 5.1 digital sound also works. if yes, at 50 euro this may be the cheapest working solution to get optical audio out of a macbook air.

hope this helps anyone else, I had to do quite a bit of research to find this solution. I am wondering: does everyone else have receivers with HDMI-in or do people just not care about 5.1 sound when using the MBA as their primary computer?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:15 AM   #8
theend22
macrumors newbie

Did this work with your MBA thunderbolt/MiniDisplay port to HDMI

I was wondering if the Ligawo HDMI switch actually worked for you with the MBA. You never did say if it worked or not. I assumed seeing you never did post anything after this that it does work. Please let me know. I also cant believe there is nothing more out there on this topic.
theend22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air