Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:24 PM   #1
AnthonyCM
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Apple Remote and New iMac

Does the new iMac not have an IR receiver for the Apple remote? I can't get the one I have to pair.

And, yes, I know I can use the remote on the iPhone, but sometimes I need immediate access and don't want to have to open up the app to control iTunes on my Mac.

Appreciate any help that can be given.

Thanks,
AnthonyCM
__________________
www.anthonycmoreno.com
AnthonyCM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:26 PM   #2
smoge
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I also have a 2012 iMac and couldn't find this option so its likely they have removed it.http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11062?...S&locale=en_US

The apple wesite for the apple remote says:
"Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in infrared (IR) receiver. Not compatible with MacBook Pro with Retina display."
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC377Z/A/apple-remote

So it looks like apple don't even know.

Last edited by smoge; Jan 13, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
smoge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:31 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
No IR receiver in the new iMac ?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:41 PM   #4
smoge
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
You could look at buying something like this:
http://twistedmelon.com/mira/hardware.html

----------

So GGJstudios we meet again!
smoge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:43 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoge View Post
So GGJstudios we meet again!
That's gonna happen a lot if you're very active in the forum!
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:44 PM   #6
AnthonyCM
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Gah! Stupid, stupid, mind numbingly stupid. Apple removing something that didn't need to be removed. They'll probably sell an iDongle that hangs off your computer in order to use the remote. Only $49.99 (not including remote).

Some of their decisions are truly questionable. I'm sure the IR will be back on the next iMac update. Of course.

Anyway, thanks for all the quick, yet frustrating, responses.
__________________
www.anthonycmoreno.com
AnthonyCM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:39 PM   #7
seble
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCM View Post
Gah! Stupid, stupid, mind numbingly stupid. Apple removing something that didn't need to be removed. They'll probably sell an iDongle that hangs off your computer in order to use the remote. Only $49.99 (not including remote).

Some of their decisions are truly questionable. I'm sure the IR will be back on the next iMac update. Of course.

Anyway, thanks for all the quick, yet frustrating, responses.
hmm I thinkapple is phasing them out. Look at the Rmbps, they were the first macs not to have them, after a while, and the imac is the next new product they released without them. Shame cause I thought it was awesome having an IR receiver.
seble is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:41 PM   #8
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCM View Post
Gah! Stupid, stupid, mind numbingly stupid. Apple removing something that didn't need to be removed. They'll probably sell an iDongle that hangs off your computer in order to use the remote. Only $49.99 (not including remote).

Some of their decisions are truly questionable. I'm sure the IR will be back on the next iMac update. Of course.

Anyway, thanks for all the quick, yet frustrating, responses.
Yeah, it really wouldn't have been hard to just throw it behind the black bezel somewhere....
12dylan34 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:05 PM   #9
AnthonyCM
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by seble View Post
hmm I thinkapple is phasing them out. Look at the Rmbps, they were the first macs not to have them, after a while, and the imac is the next new product they released without them. Shame cause I thought it was awesome having an IR receiver.
Yeah, makes 0 sense. I may not have agreed with dropping the optical drive in a desktop, but I could see their reasoning. An IR receiver? No excuse.
__________________
www.anthonycmoreno.com
AnthonyCM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:32 PM   #10
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by seble View Post
hmm I thinkapple is phasing them out. Look at the Rmbps, they were the first macs not to have them, after a while, and the imac is the next new product they released without them. Shame cause I thought it was awesome having an IR receiver.
FWIW, Apple started phasing IR back in 2009 with the white MacBooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCM View Post
Yeah, makes 0 sense. I may not have agreed with dropping the optical drive in a desktop, but I could see their reasoning. An IR receiver? No excuse.
I'm not saying that I agree with their decision to drop the IR remote, but it seems like Apple is expecting folks to use the iOS Remote App instead.

For how I use the remote on my Mac (which is to control music), I much prefer the iOS Remote App. It has more functionality (which gives it the ability to do a lot of things that aren't possible with the IR remote), and since it uses WiFi instead of line-of-sight IR, the range is a gazillion times better.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:43 PM   #11
AnthonyCM
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post

It has more functionality (which gives it the ability to do a lot of things that aren't possible with the IR remote), and since it uses WiFi instead of line-of-sight IR, the range is a gazillion times better.
I definitely agree that the IOS application has a lot more functionality, but sometimes I just need to mute iTunes, or change the song. To have to open up the app, wait for it to connect, and then do what I need it to do is a pain in the ass. Why couldn't they have kept both options? Guess, as always, Apple thinks it knows best. Frustrating.
__________________
www.anthonycmoreno.com
AnthonyCM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:06 PM   #12
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
the app has significantly improved in pairing. and if youre close enough to use a remote the keyboard short cuts would suffice just as well.
ThirteenXIII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:30 PM   #13
AnthonyCM
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Improved or not, Apple needs to learn there are times that physical keys sometime trump keys on a screen. Sometimes some of us don't want to look at a screen in order to have basic functionality.

Look, I know opinions differ, but there's no reason to cut out a function that many of us have grown used to over the years when there's no obvious excuse to take it away.
__________________
www.anthonycmoreno.com
AnthonyCM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:07 AM   #14
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030
 
iSayuSay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCM View Post
Improved or not, Apple needs to learn there are times that physical keys sometime trump keys on a screen. Sometimes some of us don't want to look at a screen in order to have basic functionality.

Look, I know opinions differ, but there's no reason to cut out a function that many of us have grown used to over the years when there's no obvious excuse to take it away.
That .. and as I said on the other thread. No fancy remotes other than old school IR remote could do okay with the same batteries and no charges for 2 straight years.

Obviously iOS Apple Remote will drain the battery within only hours. Sad. Remote. App.
__________________
The things you own end up owning you.
It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
Sent from Paper Street Soap. Co
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:27 AM   #15
Nomax2000
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Just use the Apple Remote App.
__________________
iMac13,2 27"OS 10.9.2 MacBook5,1 13,3"OS 10.9.2 iPhone 5FW 7.1.1 iPod Nano 4.Gen. 8GB The New iPad 4G 64GBFW 7.1.1 Apple TV (3.Gen.)FW 6.1.1 iPod Nano 7.Gen. 16GB
Nomax2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:15 AM   #16
AnthonyCM
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomax2000 View Post
Just use the Apple Remote App.
Please spend a couple of minutes reading the thread so you can see why some of us don't want to use the remote app.
AnthonyCM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:33 AM   #17
seble
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
FWIW, Apple started phasing IR back in 2009 with the white MacBooks.


I'm not saying that I agree with their decision to drop the IR remote, but it seems like Apple is expecting folks to use the iOS Remote App instead.

For how I use the remote on my Mac (which is to control music), I much prefer the iOS Remote App. It has more functionality (which gives it the ability to do a lot of things that aren't possible with the IR remote), and since it uses WiFi instead of line-of-sight IR, the range is a gazillion times better.
It may have been 'line of sight' in theory, but I could operate it from virtually any area in the room. I still use the remote in the docking station in my kitchen. I know the app has more 'functionality' but the convenience of the remote is better. Sometimes you need to turn it down immediately or something, and you just grab the remote. The phone well, I gotta unlock first, then allow it to connect before I can even considering adjusting my music. I know what I overall prefer.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
That .. and as I said on the other thread. No fancy remotes other than old school IR remote could do okay with the same batteries and no charges for 2 straight years.

Obviously iOS Apple Remote will drain the battery within only hours. Sad. Remote. App.
2 years? :O more like 5, and I used to use that sucker daily. Was also extremely brilliant for presentations on my laptop, and use to impress the heck outta my windows friends.
seble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:38 AM   #18
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCM View Post
Look, I know opinions differ, but there's no reason to cut out a function that many of us have grown used to over the years when there's no obvious excuse to take it away.
There IS a reason, as consumers we just don't know what it is. My take is Apple did some market research and found that a very small amount of people use the Apple IR remote with an iMac, mainly due to the fact that in order to use an iMac normally you need to be sitting down in front of it, therefore no need to spend the extra resources to include an IR receiver. For the rest of us they probably saw that the majority of their iMac customers have an iOS device that can operate the iMac if they so needed to.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:48 AM   #19
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030
 
iSayuSay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
There IS a reason, as consumers we just don't know what it is. My take is Apple did some market research and found that a very small amount of people use the Apple IR remote with an iMac, mainly due to the fact that in order to use an iMac normally you need to be sitting down in front of it, therefore no need to spend the extra resources to include an IR receiver. For the rest of us they probably saw that the majority of their iMac customers have an iOS device that can operate the iMac if they so needed to.
IMO, Apple is just trying to play smoke and mirrors saying IR remotes are outdated, and instead want us to use iOS remote app instead.

But again, IR remotes could going on years on same batteries, with no recharge required. And it has real buttons too for precise tactile and feedback.

Regarding your reason.. Retina MBP could use some IR remotes as it can be used for Keynote and any media playback. Yet it loses the IR receiver too. Again, my thoughts are are trying to be [magical] by pushing iOS remote. But hey, how if I have no WiFi available?
__________________
The things you own end up owning you.
It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
Sent from Paper Street Soap. Co
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:16 AM   #20
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
IMO, Apple is just trying to play smoke and mirrors saying IR remotes are outdated, and instead want us to use iOS remote app instead.

But again, IR remotes could going on years on same batteries, with no recharge required. And it has real buttons too for precise tactile and feedback.

Regarding your reason.. Retina MBP could use some IR remotes as it can be used for Keynote and any media playback. Yet it loses the IR receiver too. Again, my thoughts are are trying to be [magical] by pushing iOS remote. But hey, how if I have no WiFi available?
Your theory may be spot on, in fact it sounds like something Apple would do to push the industry in this direction. The TV manufacturers are following suit with this too. They are creating apps for iOS so you can use your phone to run the TV and cable tuner. My first thoughts were "This is great, I love using my iPhone rather than a multitude of remotes!!", but this idea is more trouble than it's worth. Having to wake up the phone from sleep and then navigating to the correct app, opening the app and running it. Let alone it drains the battery in the phone much more than most other apps, at least in my experience.

Well I'm glad my mid 2011 iMac still offers this function. I have 2 Apple remotes and I don't want them to become useless anytime soon.
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G5 Apple Remote Desktop & iMac macnerd93 PowerPC Macs 1 Jul 12, 2013 12:41 PM
Someone please test the Apple Remote with 2012 iMac 6ftunder iMac 24 Apr 11, 2013 05:01 PM
New iMac - but Apple remote doesn't work annab921 iMac 24 Mar 31, 2013 06:30 PM
iMac + Apple remote smoge iMac 12 Dec 4, 2012 03:04 PM
How do I stop Apple Remote from controlling my iMac? MaskedCarrot Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 3 Nov 16, 2012 12:31 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC