Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:24 PM   #1
AnthonyCM
macrumors regular

Apple Remote and New iMac

Does the new iMac not have an IR receiver for the Apple remote? I can't get the one I have to pair.

And, yes, I know I can use the remote on the iPhone, but sometimes I need immediate access and don't want to have to open up the app to control iTunes on my Mac.

Appreciate any help that can be given.

Thanks,
AnthonyCM
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:26 PM   #2
smoge
macrumors regular

I also have a 2012 iMac and couldn't find this option so its likely they have removed it.http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11062?...S&locale=en_US

The apple wesite for the apple remote says:
"Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in infrared (IR) receiver. Not compatible with MacBook Pro with Retina display."
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC377Z/A/apple-remote

So it looks like apple don't even know.

Last edited by smoge; Jan 13, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
smoge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:31 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

No IR receiver in the new iMac ?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:41 PM   #4
smoge
macrumors regular

You could look at buying something like this:
http://twistedmelon.com/mira/hardware.html

----------

So GGJstudios we meet again!
smoge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:43 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoge View Post
So GGJstudios we meet again!
That's gonna happen a lot if you're very active in the forum!
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:44 PM   #6
AnthonyCM
macrumors regular

Gah! Stupid, stupid, mind numbingly stupid. Apple removing something that didn't need to be removed. They'll probably sell an iDongle that hangs off your computer in order to use the remote. Only $49.99 (not including remote).

Some of their decisions are truly questionable. I'm sure the IR will be back on the next iMac update. Of course.

Anyway, thanks for all the quick, yet frustrating, responses.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:39 PM   #7
seble
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCM View Post
Gah! Stupid, stupid, mind numbingly stupid. Apple removing something that didn't need to be removed. They'll probably sell an iDongle that hangs off your computer in order to use the remote. Only $49.99 (not including remote).

Some of their decisions are truly questionable. I'm sure the IR will be back on the next iMac update. Of course.

hmm I thinkapple is phasing them out. Look at the Rmbps, they were the first macs not to have them, after a while, and the imac is the next new product they released without them. Shame cause I thought it was awesome having an IR receiver.
seble is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:41 PM   #8
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Yeah, it really wouldn't have been hard to just throw it behind the black bezel somewhere....
12dylan34 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:05 PM   #9
AnthonyCM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seble View Post
hmm I thinkapple is phasing them out. Look at the Rmbps, they were the first macs not to have them, after a while, and the imac is the next new product they released without them. Shame cause I thought it was awesome having an IR receiver.
Yeah, makes 0 sense. I may not have agreed with dropping the optical drive in a desktop, but I could see their reasoning. An IR receiver? No excuse.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:32 PM   #10
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by seble View Post
FWIW, Apple started phasing IR back in 2009 with the white MacBooks.

Quote:
Yeah, makes 0 sense. I may not have agreed with dropping the optical drive in a desktop, but I could see their reasoning. An IR receiver? No excuse.
I'm not saying that I agree with their decision to drop the IR remote, but it seems like Apple is expecting folks to use the iOS Remote App instead.

For how I use the remote on my Mac (which is to control music), I much prefer the iOS Remote App. It has more functionality (which gives it the ability to do a lot of things that aren't possible with the IR remote), and since it uses WiFi instead of line-of-sight IR, the range is a gazillion times better.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:43 PM   #11
AnthonyCM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post

It has more functionality (which gives it the ability to do a lot of things that aren't possible with the IR remote), and since it uses WiFi instead of line-of-sight IR, the range is a gazillion times better.
I definitely agree that the IOS application has a lot more functionality, but sometimes I just need to mute iTunes, or change the song. To have to open up the app, wait for it to connect, and then do what I need it to do is a pain in the ass. Why couldn't they have kept both options? Guess, as always, Apple thinks it knows best. Frustrating.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:06 PM   #12
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a

the app has significantly improved in pairing. and if youre close enough to use a remote the keyboard short cuts would suffice just as well.
ThirteenXIII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:30 PM   #13
AnthonyCM
macrumors regular

Improved or not, Apple needs to learn there are times that physical keys sometime trump keys on a screen. Sometimes some of us don't want to look at a screen in order to have basic functionality.

Look, I know opinions differ, but there's no reason to cut out a function that many of us have grown used to over the years when there's no obvious excuse to take it away.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:07 AM   #14
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Improved or not, Apple needs to learn there are times that physical keys sometime trump keys on a screen. Sometimes some of us don't want to look at a screen in order to have basic functionality.

Look, I know opinions differ, but there's no reason to cut out a function that many of us have grown used to over the years when there's no obvious excuse to take it away.
That .. and as I said on the other thread. No fancy remotes other than old school IR remote could do okay with the same batteries and no charges for 2 straight years.

Obviously iOS Apple Remote will drain the battery within only hours. Sad. Remote. App.
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:27 AM   #15
Nomax2000
macrumors newbie

Just use the Apple Remote App.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:15 AM   #16
AnthonyCM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomax2000 View Post
Just use the Apple Remote App.
Please spend a couple of minutes reading the thread so you can see why some of us don't want to use the remote app.
AnthonyCM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:33 AM   #17
seble
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
FWIW, Apple started phasing IR back in 2009 with the white MacBooks.

I'm not saying that I agree with their decision to drop the IR remote, but it seems like Apple is expecting folks to use the iOS Remote App instead.

For how I use the remote on my Mac (which is to control music), I much prefer the iOS Remote App. It has more functionality (which gives it the ability to do a lot of things that aren't possible with the IR remote), and since it uses WiFi instead of line-of-sight IR, the range is a gazillion times better.
It may have been 'line of sight' in theory, but I could operate it from virtually any area in the room. I still use the remote in the docking station in my kitchen. I know the app has more 'functionality' but the convenience of the remote is better. Sometimes you need to turn it down immediately or something, and you just grab the remote. The phone well, I gotta unlock first, then allow it to connect before I can even considering adjusting my music. I know what I overall prefer.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
That .. and as I said on the other thread. No fancy remotes other than old school IR remote could do okay with the same batteries and no charges for 2 straight years.

Obviously iOS Apple Remote will drain the battery within only hours. Sad. Remote. App.
2 years? :O more like 5, and I used to use that sucker daily. Was also extremely brilliant for presentations on my laptop, and use to impress the heck outta my windows friends.
seble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:38 AM   #18
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
There IS a reason, as consumers we just don't know what it is. My take is Apple did some market research and found that a very small amount of people use the Apple IR remote with an iMac, mainly due to the fact that in order to use an iMac normally you need to be sitting down in front of it, therefore no need to spend the extra resources to include an IR receiver. For the rest of us they probably saw that the majority of their iMac customers have an iOS device that can operate the iMac if they so needed to.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:48 AM   #19
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
There IS a reason, as consumers we just don't know what it is. My take is Apple did some market research and found that a very small amount of people use the Apple IR remote with an iMac, mainly due to the fact that in order to use an iMac normally you need to be sitting down in front of it, therefore no need to spend the extra resources to include an IR receiver. For the rest of us they probably saw that the majority of their iMac customers have an iOS device that can operate the iMac if they so needed to.
IMO, Apple is just trying to play smoke and mirrors saying IR remotes are outdated, and instead want us to use iOS remote app instead.

But again, IR remotes could going on years on same batteries, with no recharge required. And it has real buttons too for precise tactile and feedback.

Regarding your reason.. Retina MBP could use some IR remotes as it can be used for Keynote and any media playback. Yet it loses the IR receiver too. Again, my thoughts are are trying to be [magical] by pushing iOS remote. But hey, how if I have no WiFi available?
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:16 AM   #20
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
IMO, Apple is just trying to play smoke and mirrors saying IR remotes are outdated, and instead want us to use iOS remote app instead.

But again, IR remotes could going on years on same batteries, with no recharge required. And it has real buttons too for precise tactile and feedback.

Regarding your reason.. Retina MBP could use some IR remotes as it can be used for Keynote and any media playback. Yet it loses the IR receiver too. Again, my thoughts are are trying to be [magical] by pushing iOS remote. But hey, how if I have no WiFi available?
Your theory may be spot on, in fact it sounds like something Apple would do to push the industry in this direction. The TV manufacturers are following suit with this too. They are creating apps for iOS so you can use your phone to run the TV and cable tuner. My first thoughts were "This is great, I love using my iPhone rather than a multitude of remotes!!", but this idea is more trouble than it's worth. Having to wake up the phone from sleep and then navigating to the correct app, opening the app and running it. Let alone it drains the battery in the phone much more than most other apps, at least in my experience.

Well I'm glad my mid 2011 iMac still offers this function. I have 2 Apple remotes and I don't want them to become useless anytime soon.
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac