Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I just upgraded to Mountain Lion and now every time I open iTunes i get a pop up saying "do you want the application "iTunes.app" to accept incoming network connections?"
It says if I don't want the pop up to changed my settings in the firewall, but iTunes is set to let incoming network connections (green).
I removed it from the ok list in the firewall and re-added, and still doing the same thing.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Any other software running like a virus scanner, MacKeeper or CleanMyMac?

Last time someone had the same issues, we found out he had some crappy software installed.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Nope, the only thing the Mini has extra is Ripit, flip4mac, adobe flash, and slivelight (I think that's what it's called to watch Netflix). Other than that, it's all stock.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Nope, the only thing the Mini has extra is Ripit, flip4mac, adobe flash, and slivelight (I think that's what it's called to watch Netflix). Other than that, it's all stock.

You might try to repair permissions, it sometimes does clear things up.
Had one Aussie guy doing the same, said he tried 5 times did not work but when I asked him to do it again and a restart later it worked.
Clearing Caches might also make a difference.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
I just upgraded to Mountain Lion and now every time I open iTunes i get a pop up saying "do you want the application "iTunes.app" to accept incoming network connections?"
It says if I don't want the pop up to changed my settings in the firewall, but iTunes is set to let incoming network connections (green).
I removed it from the ok list in the firewall and re-added, and still doing the same thing.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

This is almost certainly a code-signing issue. To verify, please open Terminal (in Utilities) and enter

Code:
codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app

What you should see in response is

Code:
/Applications/iTunes.app: valid on disk
/Applications/iTunes.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement
Please post the full response you receive.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
This is almost certainly a code-signing issue. To verify, please open Terminal (in Utilities) and enter

Code:

Code:
Please post the full response you receive.

this is what I got (hope I did it right)

vLast login: Mon Jan 14 09:45:00 on ttys000
Meidas-Mac-mini:~ meida$ codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app
/Applications/iTunes.app: a sealed resource is missing or invalid
In architecture: i386
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/AdvancedPrefs.icns
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/AppleTVPrefs.icns
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/DevicesPrefs.icns
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AppleTVSetup.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AppleTVStream.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AppleTVStreamingPrefsBar.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AppleTVSync.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AppsPlacard.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AutofillPlacard.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/BooksIntro.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/BrowseBar.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/CapacityBar.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/CDPlaylistPlacard.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsAdvanced.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsApps.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsAudiobooks.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsBookmarks.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsBooks.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsCalendars.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsClassicCalendars.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsClassicContacts.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsContacts.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsFileSharing.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsGames.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsGeneral.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsGeneralAppleTV.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsGeneralAppleTVStreaming.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsGeneralPhone.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsGeneralShuffle.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsiTunesMatch.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsiTunesU.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsMail.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsMovies.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsMusic.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsPhotos.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsPodcasts.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsRentalItem.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsRentedMovies.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsRingtones.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsTVShows.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsVersion.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsWorkouts.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DJIntro.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DJPlacard.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DownloadsPlacard.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DuplicatesPlacard.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/EQWindow.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/EULA.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/GeniusBar.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/GeniusDone.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/GradientWindow.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/HomeSharing.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/HomeSharingOn.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/HomeSharingPlacard.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iPhoneRestore.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iPhoneSetup.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iPhoneWelcome.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iPhoneWelcomeOffline.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iPodRestore.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iPodSetup.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iPodSetupAssist.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iPodWelcome.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iPodWelcomeOffline.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunesDJSettings.nib/keyedobjects.nib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MoviesIntro.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MusicIntro.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PingPostDialog.nib/keyedobjects.nib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PlaylistIntro.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PodcastGetAllButton.png
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PodcastGetAllButton@2x.png
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PodcastGetButton.png
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PodcastGetButton@2x.png
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PodcastsIntro.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PodcastsPlacard.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PurchasedPlacard.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/RentedMoviesPlacard.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ShuffleSetup.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/StoreCancelPlacard.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/StoreCopyrightPlacard.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/StoreSubscribeButton.png
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/StoreSubscribeButton@2x.png
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/StoreTracksPlacard.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/SummaryBar.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/TouchRemoteConfirm.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/TouchRemoteSetup.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/TVShowsIntro.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ViewOptions.nib/keyedobjects.nib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/VolumeLimitPanel.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/WelcomeWindow.nib/objects.xib
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/YahooLicense.rtf
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/GeneralPrefs.icns
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-actionM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-classicsM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-comedyM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-documentaryM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-dramaM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-holidayM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-horrorM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-independentM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-kidsM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-musicM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-romanceM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-scifiM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-shortfilmsM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-sportsM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-thrillerM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/genre-westernM.jpg
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunes_Leopard.icns
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesLibrary.xcconfig
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/ParentalPrefs.icns
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/PlaybackPrefs.icns
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/playrecent-itunes-dj-dark.icns
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/playrecent-itunes-dj.icns
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/SharingPrefs.icns
resource added: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/StorePrefs.icns
Meidas-Mac-mini:~ meida$

I'm going to try and repair the permissions also now.

Thank you,

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
this is what I got (hope I did it right)

vLast login: Mon Jan 14 09:45:00 on ttys000
Meidas-Mac-mini:~ meida$ codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app
/Applications/iTunes.app: a sealed resource is missing or invalid
In architecture: i386

I'm going to try and repair the permissions also now.

Thank you,

OK, you have a code-signing issue. Try this:

1) Remove iTunes from the firewall list of apps authorized to receive incoming connections.

2) Move you current iTunes application from the Applications folder to the trash.

3) Download and install a new copy of iTunes from Apple's website.

4) Recheck code-signing in Terminal. Enter

Code:

Code:

5) If you succeed at step 4, your problem should be solved. You shouldn't be asked again about iTunes and incoming connections, and you should not ever need to add iTunes to that firewall list.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
OK, you have a code-signing issue. Try this:

1) Remove iTunes from the firewall list of apps authorized to receive incoming connections.

2) Move you current iTunes application from the Applications folder to the trash.

3) Download and install a new copy of iTunes from Apple's website.

4) Recheck code-signing in Terminal. Enter

Code:

Code:

5) If you succeed at step 4, your problem should be solved. You shouldn't be asked again about iTunes and incoming connections, and you should not ever need to add iTunes to that firewall list.

Am I able to delete iTunes from a Mac?
This will be a project because I have all my iTunes routed to an External HD. I just did a fresh install and I couldn't just "map" that same route again, I had to reload everything to it again.
Unless you know how to do this easier.
When you go under iTunes > preferences > Advance > iTunes Media Location Folder, this is where I put the same "address" as i had before I did a fresh install and I didn't work, so I have to do this all over. It was easy, but took a lot of time.

EDIT. I tried your idea and I got "iTunes can't be modified or deleted because it's required by Mac OS X"

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Am I able to delete iTunes from a Mac?
This will be a project because I have all my iTunes routed to an External HD. I just did a fresh install and I couldn't just "map" that same route again, I had to reload everything to it again.
Unless you know how to do this easier.
When you go under iTunes > preferences > Advance > iTunes Media Location Folder, this is where I put the same "address" as i had before I did a fresh install and I didn't work, so I have to do this all over. It was easy, but took a lot of time.

EDIT. I tried your idea and I got "iTunes can't be modified or deleted because it's required by Mac OS X"

We just need to get rid of the iTunes application. Nothing else. Try this. In Terminal, copy and paste in

Code:
sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app/

Supply your password when it is requested. Then look in Applications and your iTunes application should be gone. Then download and install a new one, and check its code-signing as in my previous post.

Last edited:

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
We just need to get rid of the iTunes application. Nothing else. Try this. In Terminal, enter

Code:

Supply your password when it is requested. Then look in Applications and your iTunes application should be gone. Then download and install a new one, and check its code-signing as in my previous post.

Thanks. I will try this when I get back home and let you know how it goes.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Thanks. I will try this when I get back home and let you know how it goes.

To avoid introducing a typographical error, copy and paste this into Terminal:

Code:

That way you'll remove just the iTunes application, and nothing more.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
To avoid introducing a typographical error, copy and paste this into Terminal:

Code:

That way you'll remove just the iTunes application, and nothing more.

THANK YOU!!! This worked!!!! I was already to reinstall ML again also. I can't thank you enough. It wasn't a big deal, it just annoyed me.

THANKS!!! :D

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
THANK YOU!!! This worked!!!! I was already to reinstall ML again also. I can't thank you enough. It wasn't a big deal, it just annoyed me.

THANKS!!! :D

Glad it's fixed. I had a similar issue once with another application, and I remember how annoying that was.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Code:

This one worked for me as well, also I don't like that type of actions pretty much.

In the past (starting with SL if I remember correctly), for some reason the message always disappeared sooner or later. Don't know why, but I certainly didn't remove and reinstalled the app. But this time it surely wasn't and started to be annoying.

So thanks for sharing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.