Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ash512

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Hi guys,

I am using a 2012 27' iMac, with the 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 running OS X 10.7.5.
I just bought a LaCie D2 USB3/Thunderbolt 3TB 7200rpm Hard Drive Disk, and I'm backing up some ProRes Quicktime files from my desktop. It seems relatively slow to me : transferring a 25 GB file took about five minutes, which is pretty much the same speed it would take with my FireWire 800 G-Raid.

Is this normal? Was I wrong to expect it to literally take a flash? One thing I might have done wrong somehow is I skipped the Lacie Setup assistant and went straight to Disk Utility to format the drive. Did I do something wrong? Is there anything else I need to setup elsewhere?

Thanks guys for your time.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Transferring data from one HDD to another HDD isn't going to be any faster with Thunderbolt than with Firewire 800. The limiting speed is the drives. Both those interfaces have bandwidths much greater than mechanical HDDs. Your average transfer rate was 83.3MB/s, not too shabby. If you were going from SSD to SSD you would see the benefit of Thunderbolt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.