Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider notes that inventories of the Apple Thunderbolt Display have begun running short at third-party resellers such as Amazon and MacMall, perhaps providing the first hints of an upcoming redesign. The display remains in stock at the company's online stores, but shortages tend to show up at third-party retailers first as Apple prioritizes shrinking supplies for its own outlets.

apple_thunderbolt_display_front_side.jpg
One of the most significant changes likely to make an appearance in a redesigned Apple Thunderbolt Display is the adoption of the thinner profile and new display assembly process seen in the company's latest iMac. The current Apple Thunderbolt Display borrows heavily from the previous generations of the 27-inch iMac, and thus it seems reasonable to assume that some of the iMac design changes such as new lamination procedures to make the display thinner and more vibrant will make their way to the standalone display.

But with that lamination process leading to shortages of the 27-inch displays used in the iMacs, an issue expected to persist until next month, Apple may hold off on introducing a new standalone display for the time being in order to prioritize the iMac.

Other changes likely to appear in an updated display are a move to USB 3.0 ports, which have become standard on Mac products, and the inclusion of a MagSafe 2 port for charging Mac notebooks. The current Apple Thunderbolt Display still uses the original MagSafe design for power passthrough, with Apple bundling a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter to provide compatibility for owners of newer Mac notebooks.

Article Link: Apple Thunderbolt Display Supplies Begin Running Short at Third-Party Resellers

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
What I would really love is a retina display, but I don't think that's gonna happen at this size for quite a while.

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
I never knew why the display was so thick when all you really need is space for the connector ports. Display technology can get way thinner than this. I can't wait to see the redesign.

jkmoses

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2013
Mapleton, Utah
Display Shortage

I have a problem believing they'll update the display until they get their display shortages worked out with the 27" iMac which is still shipping in 3-4 week timeframes.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I have a problem believing they'll update the display until they get their display shortages worked out with the 27" iMac which is still shipping in 3-4 week timeframes.

That depends on if the shortage is because of the laminating or because of the welding. I have mostly heard about welding issues.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Some features that would be nice: reliable, retina, hdmi, more competitive pricing, future compatibility with Apple TV

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
At last!!! Now lets see if they take away VESA. Vote this post up if you think it's coming without VESA like the new iMac.

Side note: Author of this article really should mention the whole VESA situation with the new line up of iMacs, just to add more value to the article - It's kinda a big deal!

Also: The ageing Cinema Display, not thunderbolt display - Will it also be refreshed? It's still sold for use with the Mac Pro but it's a question I'd love to know the answer to...

Last edited:

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
At the moment I'm having a hard time justifying the cost vs say a Dell 2713 - the addition of USB3 would help, as would a price drop (would be surprised though, this is Apple!).

Maybe ill see if I can pickup an old gen one cheaper as well

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
At the moment I'm having a hard time justifying the cost vs say a Dell 2713 - the addition of USB3 would help, as would a price drop (would be surprised though, this is Apple!).

I would have sprung for the old one if I could run it on non-Thurdebolt hardware. Even an adapter would have been nice, but not worth it until I have EOLed all my mini DP macs.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Bring back matte! Bring back matte!

Return of the matte! Come on. Enough of these headache inducing mirror displays.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
As much as I'd like to see USB 3.0 show up in a refreshed Thunderbolt Display, I'm really hoping they don't lose the FW800 connector in the bargain...

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
I would have sprung for the old one if I could run it on non-Thurdebolt hardware. Even an adapter would have been nice, but not worth it until I have EOLed all my mini DP macs.

It can't do that?? So my GFs 2009 vintage MBP is out in the cold? Jeez!

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

Does the Dell 2713 have fused glass and edge-to-edge AR coating? That combination makes the 2012 iMac display MUCH better than the 2011 one. A display lacking those features wouldn't be worth nearly as much to me.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Heck,
I would love a 30" or larger ACD version.
It's been so many years. These larger displays are great for designers. The space is so nice. If they can manage even higher resolutions, even better.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
$699 would be a steal for this monitor.
No, I think $700 would be a very reasonable price. It's really nice to have a dock and a 27" screen bundled into one, but the fact that it is only compatible with Thunderbolt Macs severely limits its utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.