Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
PC Gamer 2012 Game of the Year Awards

Two Mac Games  on the list that I know of: Guild Wars 2 and FTL.
PCGamer Big 10 for 2011 link

Game of the Year: Mass Effect 3- I played and loved the first one, petered out on the second one. Never looked at the 3rd one. If I played, it would be on xbox.
mass-effect-3-wallpaper-2363.jpg

Short Form Game: FTL: Faster Than Light-  on sale for $4.99. Anyone play this? FTL Review. PC Gamer FTL Review.
FTL3.jpg

Single Player Shooter: Dishonored
Dishonored.jpg

Multiplayer Shooter: Planetside 2- for Mac recommended on Bootcamp.
planetside-2-screenshot.jpg

MMO: Guild Wars 2-  Is the Mac version out of beta?
938738_20110518_640screen001.jpg

Sim: Euro Trucker Simulator 2
Euro-Truck-Simulator-2-review-thumb-large.jpg

Mod: Dayz- An Arma 2 zombie mod.

Strategy: XCOM Enemy Unknown
original.jpg

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Guild Wars 2 is still Beta and it is only a Cider wrapper not native, plays pretty good, well it does for me.

Euro Truck Simulater, yea OK, LMAO

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Yay for PlanetSide 2!
Totally deserved best multiplayer shooter, though Natural Selection 2 and Tribe: Ascend were also great contenders.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
FTL is well worth the money!

Mass Effect 3 is a good game, not as good as ME2, but better than ME1.
For some reason people seem to hate it because style don't like how they made the ending. PLay Me2 before ME3 in my opinion, the games are quite linked.

XCOM, don't get me started.. It's heroine, once you start, you can't quit! I played they the campaign in one week! It took 30 hours..

GW2 was a fresh breath in the MMO industry, but I don't have time for this anymore, so I've leveled to max level in GW2, but haven't really done anything after that except a few WvWvW games and a handful of instances.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
FTL at half price is a great game.

It punishes you, and you go back for more.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
PC Gamer 2013 Game Of The Year Awards

*Starting to wonder about PCGamer...see list. ;)
*Best Simulation: Arma3- never played it, looks interesting.

arma3_screenshot_01.jpg

*Best Single Player: XCOM: Enemy Within- looks interesting. I might just have to play this... Feral is about to release the Mac version!

20131127183541!Seeker_2_(EU2012).png

*Best Multiplayer: Rising Storm- WWII combat game such as BF or COD. Have not played it.

risingstorm_iwo_flamer_009.jpg

*Event of the Year (?): Bioshock Infinite- Good game. I think PC Gamer is trying to get creative in their categories. :p

infinite05.jpg

ESport of the Year: (whatever "e-sport" is) Dota2- don't care for it. I'd call this Real Time Strategy.

Dota-2-review-2.jpg

*Best Narrative: Gone Home- never heard of it. Described as a "narrative". Is this a horror story or what?

Bedroom.jpg

*Most Original: Card Hunter- Tabletop D&D style game computerized.

Card-Hunter-Screen-2.png

*Mod of the Year:Thief-The Dark Mod. Have not played Thief.

*Game of the Year: Spelunky- a side scrolling Mario Bros style game, is game of the year, really PC Gamer?? This seems like it would fit nicely for iOS...but there is no iOS version.

spelunky_screen.png

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Went out on a limb and purchased FTL. I mean for $4.99... I'll report back. Just went through the tutorial. It's interesting. This looks like it would be an outstanding iOS game and there are rumors that it could be.

Rumors? Uhh…. FTL Advanced Edition had already been confirmed weeks ago for iPad (just iPad, not iPhones). And it's supposed to be arriving any week now, early 2014.

Here is the FTL Advanced Edition for iPad/Mac/PC trailer:
http://vimeo.com/79104930

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
FTL at half price is a great game.

It punishes you, and you go back for more.

FTL can be frustrating until you realise that it's effectively a roguelike, and you can't just pick it up and play it end to end. Great fun though.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
*Best Narrative: Gone Home- never heard of it.

Gone Home is not bad. A bit pretentious, maybe. Lead character is an American girl who's been away for a long time in Europe, returns to find her family's new (inexplicably vast) house deserted. Pieces together a story by rummaging through drawers and reading letters, leading towards a conclusion that's shut away in the locked attic...

Lasts about an hour and a half. The Stanley Parable is a lot more entertaining and cleverer as a narrative, I'd have thought PC Gamer would have voted for that.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Gone Home is not bad. A bit pretentious, maybe. Lead character is an American girl who's been away for a long time in Europe, returns to find her family's new (inexplicably vast) house deserted. Pieces together a story by rummaging through drawers and reading letters, leading towards a conclusion that's shut away in the locked attic...

Lasts about an hour and a half. The Stanley Parable is a lot more entertaining and cleverer as a narrative, I'd have thought PC Gamer would have voted for that.

Horror?

Looking at XCom: Enemy Within, it's $20 for iPad and it is $29 at Amazon for PC digital download. I'm much more likely to purchase the Mac/PC version. The Mac version should be released by Feral sometime soon. I might be wrong, but I don't see the ipad version being as fun if it involves lots of swiping at the screen. Anyone playing this?

BTW, I added images to post Number 9. :D

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012

Not really. It's a bit creepy - deserted house at night in a thunderstorm - but it's more a story about growing up and facing your responsibilities. Don't want to give too much away, in case you want to play it - it's all story, not really any gameplay to speak of. Well worth a go.

There are some nice touches, like the soundtrack being on cassettes (it's the early 90s) that you find and can play on stereos around the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.