Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
A billion trillion zillion? Probably not as well as you'd like.

By now you are sounding childish.

Google for "Apple quarterly report" to get some accurate numbers about Apple computer sales.

What statistics are those ? You're saying Apple moved only 2 million iPads/Macs combined in the holiday quarter of 2012 in the US ? :eek:

These statistics don't have the tablets in them.

If they had, Apple would be #1 in the USA and #1 worldwide.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

You missed a black dell on the front row :p

----------

Sigh... Who is he to judge what others prefer?

Exactly. Over the course of the year we learnt more about his idiotic hate of anything that wasnt free/opensource than we did about the subject at hand. Several times the room erupted into an argument. The guy was just a complete ass.

Reminded me a bit of Richard Stallman (and not just in terms of his opinion).

Personally I'm all for opensource software, but hating someone for trying to make a living off their hard work developing software is bat crap crazy.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Reminded me a bit of Richard Stallman (and not just in terms of his opinion).

Personally I'm all for opensource software, but hating someone for trying to make a living off their hard work developing software is bat crap crazy.

Richard M. Stallman has never been opposed to the idea of making a living developing software. So if your teacher was, he really was misunderstanding the foundations of the Free Software movement and the Open Source initiative (2 seperate movements, "Open Source" comes from Eric S. Raymond's Open Source Initiative, following his manifesto, "The Cathedral and the Bazaar").

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I couldn't find Q4 sales, but according to this, I'm right. While it has a stronger presence in Europe than I initially thought, Macs are majorly a US brand. Stronger growth here doesn't directly translate to stronger growth elsewhere in the world.

These numbers show of course in no way whatsoever that you are right, because your statement was that Apple isn't doing as well in international markets as I thought it did. And since you didn't have the slightest idea how well I thought Apple was doing, your statement was completely unsubstantiated.

Another statement that you made was that Apple wasn't doing as well as I liked. Since you have no idea how well I would like Apple to do, you also have no idea whether Apple does better, less good, or exactly as good as I like.

The numbers you quoted don't show in any way that Apple doesn't grow outside the USA. It does. The numbers you quoted also show that Apple was selling four million Macs in a quarter a year ago; so you can make of that what you want, but it makes Apple one of the most successful computer makers world wide.

Renzatic

Suspended
These numbers show of course in no way whatsoever that you are right, because your statement was that Apple isn't doing as well in international markets as I thought it did. And since you didn't have the slightest idea how well I thought Apple was doing, your statement was completely unsubstantiated.

Another statement that you made was that Apple wasn't doing as well as I liked. Since you have no idea how well I would like Apple to do, you also have no idea whether Apple does better, less good, or exactly as good as I like.

The numbers you quoted don't show in any way that Apple doesn't grow outside the USA. It does. The numbers you quoted also show that Apple was selling four million Macs in a quarter a year ago; so you can make of that what you want, but it makes Apple one of the most successful computer makers world wide.

HEY GUYS! WATCH ME SPLIT LITERAL HAIRS! BUT NOT LITERALLY, BECAUSE HAIRS ARE HARD TO SPLIT! HOW DO YOU KNOW I WANT TO SPLIT HAIRS?

Going by your post, it was pretty safe to assume you believed they were doing just as well elsewhere as they were here. Yeah, I might've jumped a little ahead of myself by thinking you'd like Apple to do well in other countries, and...

...you know what?

This is a dumb, pointless conversation.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I think it was reported here not too long ago that iPads and other table devices sold more units than desktop computers in a recent quarter.

Right. So if that was added, I think Apple would move up to #2 or possibly #1. It seems people are having a hard time understanding this concept.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
(Funny side-note: We had a linux obsessed lecturer who spent 2 hours shouting at everyone in the room for being on a Mac or Windows machine, and he stood there with his laptop giving a presentation. Literally as he said "Those crappy closed source operating systems are so unreliable" his laptop locked up. Needless to say the lecture ended at that point. :D)

That must be one stupid professor. OS X was based on an open source Unix-based system. In fact, it is more POSIX compliant that Linux is!

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
I didn't realize HP was doing so well... I'm in a room full of laptops right now and glancing around me I can make out...

4 MacBook Airs, 1 MacBook Pro, 1 Acer, 1 Dell, 1 HP, and 1 IBM.

What do the numbers look like when you just look at laptops?

Edit: I'm in a university engineering classroom... my understanding was many engineering students use Windows...

Look around my 45-seat lecture room at uni. Of about 30 people who are using laptops only 3 or 4 are non-Apple :D

There's even a saying: If you want to fit into law school (in Australia at least), buy a mac :D

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
It is a long time since I went to uni, a time when a computer had a 5.25 inch floppy that really was, and a screen the size of your wallet that only displayed lines of text in glowing green.

I find it hard to relate to what the modern lecture theatre must be like: is the place dominated by the clack of noisy keyboards, drowning out the drone of the lecturer? Does anyone look at the presentations, or are they too busy looking at their screens?

Or is the modern lecture theatre in fact empty, with everyone watching the subsequently posted podcast in between shifts at maccas?

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
No sorry, trying to dismiss market share numbers with "profit" is the argument of someone looking to justify Apple's position in some way. It's not really the topic and no one rational would care enough that Apple is #3 to try and attack HP and Dell's #1 spot.

If that's all you see from the chart, you're missing the picture.

If you look in the long run, Apple's market share has more than doubled in the past 6 years. Achieving that steady and consistent growth in market share while maintaining a healthy gross margin makes Apple the envy of the entire industry.

No one but shareholders care about profits.

Nonsense. Anyone who cares about the long-term viability of a company cares about the profits. Ringling Brothers may put more individuals through the door, but Cirque du Soleil is doing somersaults around them in the bottom line.

If you ask me, the less profits the better I'm off.

There's a technical term for sustained less profits: bankruptcy.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I love MacRumors.

On the same day you can read all the complaints of posters here about how expensive the iPhone is (especially to keep buying the newest one off contract since they aren't ready for their upgrade) and how Apple should lower their prices

ANDDDDDD

Read the fanfare in another thread over Apple making record profits.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Lenovo is getting noticed. I wonder how many people chose a Lenovo lap top over Apple lap tops?

Corporate users, people who need water/coffee proof keyboards, designers (Lenovo makes very good digitizer laptop workstations), people who need color accuracy (high-end Lenovos have IPS panels), industrial designers (high end Lenovos are equipped with nVidia Quadros).

In short, every user who needs a laptop tank buys a high-end Lenovo Thinkpad.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
I love MacRumors.

On the same day you can read all the complaints of posters here about how expensive the iPhone is (especially to keep buying the newest one off contract since they aren't ready for their upgrade) and how Apple should lower their prices

ANDDDDDD

Read the fanfare in another thread over Apple making record profits.

Lol, I totally agree. Anything after page 2 in a thread is complete garbage.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
HEY GUYS! WATCH ME SPLIT LITERAL HAIRS! BUT NOT LITERALLY, BECAUSE HAIRS ARE HARD TO SPLIT! HOW DO YOU KNOW I WANT TO SPLIT HAIRS?

Going by your post, it was pretty safe to assume you believed they were doing just as well elsewhere as they were here. Yeah, I might've jumped a little ahead of myself by thinking you'd like Apple to do well in other countries, and...

...you know what?

This is a dumb, pointless conversation.

Judging by what I see at uni in Sydney, they're doing pretty well for laptops that cost more than $1200 and use a minority OS.
But yeah I agree w you any positive things said about Apple are dumb and pointless convos. :rolleyes:

Renzatic

Suspended
Sometimes, late at night, I think about all the stupid people who use Android phones. After awhile, I just can't take it any more. The emotions get to me. Start welling inside me until I have no other choice but to put on a chicken costume and run into oncoming traffic on the freeway. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well...uh. Yeah. If you say so. :O

See what I did there?

Though I went a bit overly literal with the example, it's called putting words into other peoples mouths. You do that quite a bit. You'll find a way to construe something someone says into a blatant attack on Apple, so you can label then a FAANNDRROIIDD then overabuse the rolleyes emote. It's really quite annoying.

If you're actually in uni, then you should be well aware that doing this is about on par with a strawman argument, and isn't anywhere close to being a proper debate tactic.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Why the heck is HP growing in sales? Their PCs are among the worst!

----------

(Funny side-note: We had a linux obsessed lecturer who spent 2 hours shouting at everyone in the room for being on a Mac or Windows machine, and he stood there with his laptop giving a presentation. Literally as he said "Those crappy closed source operating systems are so unreliable" his laptop locked up. Needless to say the lecture ended at that point. :D)

How is open-source supposed to be more reliable? That's definitely never been true in my experience. I tried Ubuntu, and I thought, "Cool! It can do SSH file transfer." Nope, it crashes every time I try to do it. A bunch of random people working on something for free... vs Apple and MS selling professionally-made OSs for money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.