Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Critics = those critiquing Apple's current path and say they need to "innovate or die".

What is "innovative" about beefier specs and a bigger display?? People need to stop using that word! To innovate is to do something completely different and new - revolutionary in some way. Nothing innovative will be coming to cellphones in the near future. iPhone WAS the innovation. Now come the incremental improvements and iterations.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
The biggest thing I don't like about the iPhone is iOS. Its too long in the tooth. Apple needs to innovate for me to come back. I love the hardware and the quality of it but the OS is boring to me. I'd like a larger screen too but iOS is the big kicker IMO.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Uhh....my signature would indicate a negatory ghost rider....

Geez, I'm getting killed for being curious....this all stemmed from me asking myself, what resolution could Apple go to in the next iPhone that would keep devs relatively happy and still improve overall quality (i.e. 1080p+ and such).

That just got me to thinking about other ways the iPhone COULD potentially evolve....

I suppose I'll keep these thoughts and wonderings to myself from now on.

I usually miss sigs. So, I'm surprised you jumped from a 4S to 5. I wasn't even willing to come from a 4 to a 5, which is why I left the iPhone world and went to a Galaxy Note. I simply couldn't put up with pinching and zooming all the time, when I mainly surf and read books. I might one day go back to the iPhone, but they're going to have to increase the screen size (and I know many people are happy with the screen size as is...I'm not).

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
The biggest thing I don't like about the iPhone is iOS. Its too long in the tooth. Apple needs to innovate for me to come back. I love the hardware and the quality of it but the OS is boring to me. I'd like a larger screen too but iOS is the big kicker IMO.

A bigger screen isn't innovative.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I usually miss sigs. So, I'm surprised you jumped from a 4S to 5. I wasn't even willing to come from a 4 to a 5, which is why I left the iPhone world and went to a Galaxy Note. I simply couldn't put up with pinching and zooming all the time, when I mainly surf and read books. I might one day go back to the iPhone, but they're going to have to increase the screen size (and I know many people are happy with the screen size as is...I'm not).

Yes - though I never wanted the 4S....a glitch on my 4 (out of warranty) caused me to upgrade early.

I still use a 4S for work though so I daily compare the two. Love the 5 - feel it's quite a bit better than the 4S (bigger step than the 4 - 4S was).

I understand for those who don't own a tablet. I use my mini for reading and would never dream of reading books or for an extended period of time on my phone. That being said I have no problem seeing most things on my phone without zooming and pinching a ton.

I'm fine with a bit larger screen - 4.5" ish is probably as big as I'd go. the Note 2 is just too large for me. Again - my phone is my phone. I use other devices for reading, watching movies and working primarily - though my iP5 works fine for those things in a pinch.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
He didn't say it was.

Name one "innovation" in cellphones since the introduction of the iphone. Everything you've seen from both Apple and Google in the years since has been improvements and tweaks and enhancements. There's been no "innovation" from either side since 2007 and I'm sure there won't be for some time.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What is "innovative" about beefier specs and a bigger display?? People need to stop using that word! To innovate is to do something completely different and new - revolutionary in some way. Nothing innovative will be coming to cellphones in the near future. iPhone WAS the innovation. Now come the incremental improvements and iterations.

I never said the things I listed were innovative. Though there is the perception that Apple will collapse unless they innovate.

Read. I already posted I believe the innovation will come on the software side - and by definition, innovation isn't something one can predict (easily anyways).

----------

Name one "innovation" in cellphones since the introduction of the iphone. Everything you've seen from both Apple and Google in the years since has been improvements and tweaks and enhancements. There's been no "innovation" from either side since 2007 and I'm sure there won't be for some time.

You are the ONLY one using the word "innovation" here....

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

I was just responding you saying his statement about a bigger screen was an innovation. He only said that was something he'd like to see "besides" innovation.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Given Apple's unparalleled expertise dealing with battery life and hardware/software efficiency, I give them the benefit of the doubt and say they figure out how to give us "the same amazing 10 hours"

On the other hand - go post that doom and gloom nonsense somewhere else....we don't want to read it. The $130 BILLION in the bank begs to differ....

If you search the web for iPhone battery life you'll see that they aren't experts. My iPhone 5 has good battery life though.

We must be honest here. Look at oracles stock chart, dells, intels, microsofts, and many others.

Apple is looking STRIKINGLY similar. What goes up does come down. Even Steve jobs said its natures way of washing away old ideas and bringing in the new.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
You are the ONLY one using the word "innovation" here....

Uh. Not only do you use the word in your original post, but almost every reply also mentions the need to "innovate" - as if any of Apple's competitors have "innovated" in the last 5 years.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Nope. None of those specs are "innovative" enough.

Where are the GeeBees??? Where is the Flux Capacitor!?!?!

My prediction is that unless Apple changes radically the iPhone will:

Continue to make tons of money.

Dominate any single Android phone in terms of 1:1 sales.

Still cause lines around the building come launch day.

The HORROR!!! The fact remains, Apple has absolutely NO reason to make any radical changes to iOS or the iPhone itself. Why break something that is perrenially the phone everyone wants (even if the fanboy "critics" whine until the cows come home...)???

When (and only when) sales start slipping to the point they NEED to re-evaluate, will they... until then, they won't. Nor do they need to, nor should they...

Fixing it for the sake of fixing it is the dumbest thing I can think of. No matter what you do the "critics" will NEVER be satisfied, and you run the risk of ruining 5 years of goodwill with the MAJORITY of the base.

Stop looking at it like a fanboy and start looking at it like a business.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

The HORROR!!! The fact remains, Apple has absolutely NO reason to make any radical changes to iOS or the iPhone itself. Why break something that is perrenially the phone everyone wants (even if the fanboy "critics" whine until the cows come home...)???

When (and only when) sales start slipping to the point they NEED to re-evaluate, they won't. Nor do they need to, nor should they...

Fixing it for the sake of fixing it is the dumbest thing I can think of. No matter what you do the "critics" will NEVER be satisfied, and you run the risk of ruining 5 years of goodwill with the MAJORITY of the base.

Great advice.

Sincerely,

Blackberry

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Uh. Not only do you use the word in your original post, but almost every reply also mentions the need to "innovate" - as if any of Apple's competitors have "innovated" in the last 5 years.

I used the word (or a derivative) in THREE posts (not the original) -

The first was referencing critics who feel that Apple must innovate or die - posted in quotes and was clearly not a reflection of what I believe.

The second was a statement that I believed any future innovation would come on the software side....

The third was telling you that you are the only one screaming about the word innovation.

I suppose this would be a fourth - telling you how much of a troll you are for exaggerating my use of the word innovation and point-by-point factually telling you you're wrong.

Go away. We don't want your kind here.

----------

When (and only when) sales start slipping to the point they NEED to re-evaluate, will they... until then, they won't. Nor do they need to, nor should they...

I think that's valid and I fall into that camp of thinking myself. Though while I believe their stock will ultimately come back with a vengeance, I don't think they can ignore the drop its taken.....

I'm not saying any of this happens in a year - purely a speculative look at what Apple COULD offer (given their experience, partnerships and acquisitions).

----------

I'm probably older than you. :)

Haha fair enough.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010

I guess Apple needs to make 5" screen like Samsung and calls it innovation. :D

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
They haven't with the iPhone 5, it barely gets 7.

The hardware is, broadly speaking, okay (horrid new screen that's too big and no battery not-withstanding). The problem is with iOS, which due to lack of development and actively consumer hostile processes, has become a very bad OS.

My iPhone gets 10 of use easily. If very bad OS you mean stable, secure and battery efficient then I'll agree with you.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I never said the things I listed were innovative. Though there is the perception that Apple will collapse unless they innovate.

THAT assuming the competitors have their own REAL innovations and not just gimmicks.

To lots of people posting here (age unknown) innovation = new.

To me useless "innovations" are a waste of my time.

Is it Samsung who has the eye scanner so the phone screen wouldn't time out if it senses you are looking at it? Doesn't quite work according to accounts, but that WILL be an innovation when they work out the kinks.

Every Apple death watcher cites NFC. But what Samsung failed to do is, you don't just make the technology available on your gadget, you have to use your weight and resources to make the feature truly usable. What ur gonna do with NFC if your local mass transit doesn't use it? your bank doesn't use it, your grocery store doesn't use it? Useless feature just to play with your friends phone for a couple of times, whoop-dee-do!

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Yes those specs would bring me back to apple. Although I dont think 4.5 would do it I dont want a screen smaller than 5 inches.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Critics = those critiquing Apple's current path and say they need to "innovate or die". Could also include those who aren't satisfied with the current offering (iP5) and feel they need to put out something fantastic.

Innovation is subjective by nature.

Is a 4.5" display innovative? I don't think so. I'd prefer they go back to 3.5".

Is 582ppi innovative? It's certainly a lot of pixels, but considering that the human eye can't decipher the difference between that resolution and 330ppi it would be a case of change for the sake of change. It would increase costs, chew up battery and graphics capabilities and the net gain for the end user would be zero.

A7/A8 with quad core graphics? The only reason you'd really need quad core graphics is to power all those invisible pixels. A quad core processor would be an improvement however. Speeds for various high performance tasks would increase and battery life would be impacted positively.

Gorilla Glass 3? I'm sure it'll be there when it's available, as it will be in every other smartphone on the market, just like all other iterations of Gorilla Glass have been.

Liquid Metal case? That would be cool, but no one will care because it looks like plastic anyway.

LTE-A? Considering that most carriers don't even have a reliable LTE offering of any kind, and are likely years away from any LTE revisions this would be a pretty dumb feature to add.

NFC? Maybe. It would be cool if Apple can come up with something useful to do with it. As of now it's a gimmicky way to share pictures. It's not even a good gimmick either, it's much easier to send MMS, email or post to the web.

There won't be any more groundbreaking innovation in smartphones. They'll get faster, thinner, lighter and maybe do a few more tricks--but that's it. The only way to innovate in the wireless phone space is to kill the smartphone and replace it with something new.

Look for tablets to become the go-to computing and text/visual communications device for most people over the next 5 years and for phones to become wearable, with small or even non-existent displays.

Despite the beating it's taken over it, Apple is miles ahead of everyone else in this regard with Siri. No, it's not perfect, far from it, but I can already place calls, send and receive text messages and control my music without even touching my iPhone. Improvements to the audio and speech interfaces could be made to allow for numerous other tasks. Once reliable, the device could easily become a wrist-worn product. It could less easily become an earpiece.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.