Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
This is more of a service question vs an iPhone question, but maybe some of you can answer my question. I currently have an iPhone 4S with sprint. I live in NYC and I'm going to Canada this coming weekend. I need to still be able to have service, but I don't wanna be charged up the ying yang for roaming. What's the easiest and most cos efficient way to do this? If I turn roaming off, will I still be able to have service and not be charged? Thanks for the help.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
Roaming in general is an expensive proposition. I recommend you call your carrier and have a serious discussion about estimated charges.

Be sure to turn off data roaming under settings. You don't want to pay data roaming charges in Canada.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Roaming in general is an expensive proposition. I recommend you call your carrier and have a serious discussion about estimated charges.

Be sure to turn off data roaming under settings. You don't want to pay data roaming charges in Canada.

I need to be able to text my girl on Saturday while she's away for a few hours. By turning off data roaming, will I still be able to have service? Or does that completely shut off service as soon as I leave the USA?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Call Sprint and ask them to add International service (at least that's how AT&T works) and turn off roaming. You'll only get charged for calls (from or to) or voice mails (if you check them) or texts, but be aware the cost per minute is pretty steep, but as long as you keep the minutes down it won't be too bad.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
You can text with data roaming turned off. You won't be able to iMessage and you probably won't be able to send an MMS message with data roaming turned off. If you want to send an MMS you can turn data roaming on and send it, but don't send it as an iMessage because you will actually get charged for data usage. If you send as regular MMS message through the carrier you should only get charged for the message, not data. If you don't add a data roaming plan, I believe you get charged about $20 a MB. Calls will be charged per minute. Check your carrier for rates.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Guy from sprint said that I should have data roaming off but keep voice roaming on. Said I will not be charged for messaging, but I will be charged if I go on the Internet if not connected to wifi. Does that make sense?

I message my girl from a free texting app bc she lives in Canada. This is all I will need to do. This make sense to you guys?

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Guy from sprint said that I should have data roaming off but keep voice roaming on. Said I will not be charged for messaging, but I will be charged if I go on the Internet if not connected to wifi. Does that make sense?

I message my girl from a free texting app bc she lives in Canada. This is all I will need to do. This make sense to you guys?

You will get charged for messages sent. Receiving messages come out of your texting plan. Never heard of free messaging roaming internationally. I am talking about regular SMS/MMS. If you are using that messaging app, you are going to need a data connection, i.e. wifi or cell data. Also, visual voice mail won't work, because that needs a data connection as well.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
You will get charged for messages sent. Receiving messages come out of your texting plan. Never heard of free messaging roaming internationally. I am talking about regular SMS/MMS. If you are using that messaging app, you are going to need a data connection, i.e. wifi or cell data. Also, visual voice mail won't work, because that needs a data connection as well.

Haha this is so confusing. If I have data roaming on, am I getting charged every second, even though I won't be doing anything? Or do I only get charged when I actually send a message through this app?

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Haha this is so confusing. If I have data roaming on, am I getting charged every second, even though I won't be doing anything? Or do I only get charged when I actually send a message through this app?

Any kind of notification to the phone, i.e. Facebook, email, your messaging app, etc will use data. The phone connecting to the cellular data network will use some data as well. I would only use it on wifi if I were you, unless sprint offers an international data package.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Any kind of notification to the phone, i.e. Facebook, email, your messaging app, etc will use data. The phone connecting to the cellular data network will use some data as well. I would only use it on wifi if I were you, unless sprint offers an international data package.

If I double click the home button, and close out every single app that uses the Internet, including email, does that 100% turn them off? Meaning I would have nothing opened unless I re opened it myself?

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
If I double click the home button, and close out every single app that uses the Internet, including email, does that 100% turn them off? Meaning I would have nothing opened unless I re opened it myself?

It's more than that.

1. settings>notifications

All programs under that listing could potentially use data

2. settings>mail and calenders

turn off all email programs

3. the phone is still going to use some data just to maintain the connection.

It's going to cost you about $19.99 for 1 mb of data. Using as little as 5 MB of data is going to cost you about $100.00 I wouldn't risk it. Either turn off roaming data or pre-purchase an international data package from sprint to avoid a big bill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.