Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pc9460

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Hey what are some good suggestions for a table that I should get?
I'm looking for the following:

-Expandable memory
-7" or 10" screen
-Under $300
-Maybe an hdmi output
-Android or Windows
-decent battery life

They must be good, so a decent processor is required along with ram. I would use it mostly to surf, maybe do some online homework assignments with it so adobe flash player must work, watch videos that I download plus hook it up to my tv and look at etexts which are pdf format.

Also, Which one is better, android or windows based?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Bear in mind that you can't get a GREAT tablet for only $300 - However, you can still get a decent one. For around $300 the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) 8GB WiFi is a pretty good option. I dunno if it's got HDMI out, but it's got a 7" screen, expandable memory, good battery life...

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Bear in mind that you can't get a GREAT tablet for only $300 - However, you can still get a decent one. For around $300 the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) 8GB WiFi is a pretty good option. I dunno if it's got HDMI out, but it's got a 7" screen, expandable memory, good battery life...

Good suggestion based on features wanted.

idufour

macrumors member
May 18, 2012

-Expandable memory
-7" or 10" screen
-Under $300
-Maybe an hdmi output
-Android or Windows
-decent battery life

They must be good, so a decent processor is required along with ram. I would use it mostly to surf, maybe do some online homework assignments with it so adobe flash player must work, watch videos that I download plus hook it up to my tv and look at etexts which are pdf format.

Nexus 7.... Really the way todo go....

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX

Nexus 7.... $199, it'll smoke the tab 2. pure google experience as well. expandable memory with usb otg cable. only down fall is the HDMI out.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I know it's $400 but the Nexus 10 is a fantastic tablet. It's the best of the best in the Android world right now I think. Dual Cortex-A15, powerful GPU, 300 PPI, etc.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
I know it's $400 but the Nexus 10 is a fantastic tablet. It's the best of the best in the Android world right now I think. Dual Cortex-A15, powerful GPU, 300 PPI, etc.

oh yeah, nexus 10 is awesome! if you want more hardware perks (mem card slot etc) check the note 10.1

pc9460

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
The nexus 7 has an expandable memory slot? Do any of you have it personally?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Um, I don't think you will find anything that will work for this in your price range. Adobe abandoned Flash on mobile devices. Some Flash videos play ok, but it's the games and other interactive Flash stuff that fails on tablets. Including my son's Galaxy Tab 2 7".

pc9460

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
I'm leaning towards the Nexus 7 but the lack of expandable memory is making me think twice. I would like to throw some tv shows and maybe a movie on there. Any other recommendations besides the ones above?

pc9460

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Is their any windows based tablets that one could get for under $300 that is decent performance wise?

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

-Expandable memory
-7" or 10" screen
-Under $300
-Maybe an hdmi output
-Android or Windows
-decent battery life

Nexus 7

Question, why are you opposed to apple and the ipad?

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011

I rather go for the Note 2. It's a bit more expensive, but if you want productivity then the S-Pen is an amazing tool. S-Pen beats stupid finger works 10 times.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Nothing really meets all that criteria at that price. Nexus 10 is close but doesn't have expandable storage. Surface meets everything but not price. Etc etc

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Nothing really meets all that criteria at that price. Nexus 10 is close but doesn't have expandable storage. Surface meets everything but not price. Etc etc

This. You really need to be willing to go to at least $400.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
For that price point, get a Nook.

Lightest and highest resolution screen in a 7" tablet.

I've never used the newest models but based on your requirements, I'd agree that the Nook HD+ looks best.

• 9" HD screen
  • expandable memory via microSD
  • HDMI out compatible

Also, the 32 GB model is only $299. Seems like best value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.