Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Anyone know if I can connect the LaCie Little Big Disc to two Macs at once via Thunderbolt? I want both Macs to be able to read/write from the Little Big Disc simultaneously. Thanks so much!!!

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
The only way that you can do this is to connect the drive to one Mac only and then allow it to be shared so that you can move files back and forth using finder or other apps.

Doesn't matter if it's thunderbolt or not, a drive can never be connected to two computers at the same time.

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
The only way that you can do this is to connect the drive to one Mac only and then allow it to be shared so that you can move files back and forth using finder or other apps.

Doesn't matter if it's thunderbolt or not, a drive can never be connected to two computers at the same time.

What about if I get a second one, connect them together, for the daisy chain speed increase, then each Mac would have it's own LaCie disk, right? But would they benefit from the daisy chain speed increase when connected to two different computers?

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
What about if I get a second one, connect them together, for the daisy chain speed increase, then each Mac would have it's own LaCie disk, right? But would they benefit from the daisy chain speed increase when connected to two different computers?
Both drives, even daisy chained together can only be connected to one computer at a time.

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Nope, as a NAS is GigE it's about 75mbps max.

Yeah we have a 2TB Time Capsule, and we share back and forth, but I think my Black Magic Speed Test was like 45mb/s. It takes a while to transfer 30GB

I guess there's nothing wrong with unplugging the LaCie from one and plugging it into the other, they sit right next to each other :)

I just couldn't pass up the LaCie, refurbished from MacMall for $237.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.