Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
I've a terrible problem... I was working on Windows 7 on my iMac
Just browsing some websites on Chrome, and running Windows Security Essentials on the background. Suddenly I heard some weird clicking sounds coming out of the iMac. I noticed the screen had frozen. It took some minutes and then it continued again. But the second time the clicking started Windows crashed and was turned off.

When I put the iMac back on it tried to start again in Windows, like I had set it up to. But startup failed, as 'no bootable drive was found'. I tried it multiple times, but it had no effect.

So I decided to try to go Mac OS and see whether that worked. I got in, but I noticed the clicking sound returning and the screen freezing again, and a spinning rainbow appeared. After a few minutes Mac OS also crashed...

And now when I turn the iMac back on... I see this on my screen (see attachment pls) :eek:

Does anybody know what happened? And more importantly, how on earth can I fix anything?!

Attachments

• 2013-01-15 02.12.00.jpg
    2013-01-15 02.12.00.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 210

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
Bummer - usually hard physical hits in the HD are not a good sign.
How old is the guy?

Once in a while I get the random wire Clothes Hanger sounds from drive -
like a pack of them are being shoved out of the way-
and 4 1TB drives are 5 years old - so I'm making serious purchase shortly.

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
The iMac isn't that old actually... it's from summer 2010. I've used for 2 years.

My set-up was like this (as seen from Windows 7):
- BOOTCAMP (C: ): 150 GB [NTFS]
- Macintosh HD (E: ): 129 GB [HFS]
- Media (F: ): 651 GB [exFAT]

Any idea what may have caused the HD failure?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I say there's more problems here, actually I think the GPU is faulty, the reason I say this is that the Display in your screenshot is shot.

If it's the HD and you have an external Bootable startup disk you can try booting from it by holding down the Option key and select the external.
Or, if you have a recovery partition hold the Command-R at startup.

If this gets you booted into the OS then it is most likely the HD, if not there are more problems like the GPU I mentioned.

Try running Apple Hardware test.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test.

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
I can't run the Apple Hardware Test... the screen stays like the picture for 30 seconds and then turns off...

So how can I figure out whether the problem is the GPU or the internald hard drive...?!

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
I tried to connect my iMac to a different power source and tried to turn it on again...
This time I didn't get the snow (thankfully!), but something different:

Attachments

• 2013-01-18 02.11.40.jpg
    2013-01-18 02.11.40.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 166

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Run the hardware test on your OS X DVD or bring your iMac in and let Apple run their hardware test, then you'll know for sure what's wrong.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I tried to connect my iMac to a different power source and tried to turn it on again...
This time I didn't get the snow (thankfully!), but something different:

Can you please resize the included image, it is 2.5 MB, to big for me to download on a limited connection.:eek:

Don't be offended Maxi, but I don't understand why people post these huge images and not resize them, a shot like that should be a JPG of 200 KB max.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Can you please resize the included image, it is 2.5 MB, to big for me to download on a limited connection.:eek:

Don't be offended Maxi, but I don't understand why people post these huge images and not resize them, a shot like that should be a JPG of 200 KB max.

here you go

Attachments

• screen.PNG
    screen.PNG
    825.6 KB · Views: 131

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
here you go

Cheers MonkeySee....

---------

Seems like OS permissions or no OS available at this time.

In the first line it says:
Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed

This process can't be launchd, this is a process needed by the System so I think it can't be launched due to the wrong file permissions.

Last edited:

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
Thanks! It seems my iMac is eligible for this program!

I brought my iMac to an Apple Premium Reseller and they replaced the internal hard drive. That resolved the problem!
Thanks everyone for your helpful tips & advice, I appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.