Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Reading thru your posts, it appears to me, that the 13" rMBP would be a waste of money for you at this point. That machine is at a premium price right now.

One other thing you'd need to concerned about with either retinas is Image Retention, unless you luck out and get a Samsung screen. On the 13" rMBP you can't even check what screen you have [ LG or Samsung ] !!

The worst part is that the ones with LG screens [ majority of them apparently ] may not show any sign of IR for a few months and actually appear more vivid than the Samsung! Then, once you get IR, Apple may or may not replace it [ depending on the stupid checkerboard test they use !! ]

So, I think, unless you wanna play lottery lol AND spend more out of pocket, steer clear of the Retina model for now!

That leaves us with the 13" cMBP ; 13" MBA ; or the 15" cMBP

Since she does Video Editing, I would, once again, recommend the 15" [ even if you don't go with the HR... but if you can, def. choose that option! It's worth it! ]

The problem with the 13" cMBP is the screen resolution. It's just ... well... quite dated now!

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Has anyone done any extensive editing on the air model I've been talking about? I think I've ruled out the retina 13 based on the ssd just being too small and not being able to upgrade it myself. The air is still small but will probably be large enough and I just won't keep tons of movies (cinema not for editing) on it.

That or the 13 for free or the 15 with high res and fork out the most cash out of pocket.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Has anyone done any extensive editing on the air model I've been talking about? I think I've ruled out the retina 13 based on the ssd just being too small and not being able to upgrade it myself. The air is still small but will probably be large enough and I just won't keep tons of movies (cinema not for editing) on it.

That or the 13 for free or the 15 with high res and fork out the most cash out of pocket.

I run iPhoto, iMovie, and aperture on mine.
Seems to work nicely, I have the i7 but I am pretty certain
That is a minimal gain over the i5.

Mostly I use it for business. VMware/office/VPN etc.
it really is a workhorse.

I cannot speak professionally on its aptitude to run video software against
The MBP models- others I am certain can.

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
I run iPhoto, iMovie, and aperture on mine.
Seems to work nicely, I have the i7 but I am pretty certain
That is a minimal gain over the i5.

Mostly I use it for business. VMware/office/VPN etc.
it really is a workhorse.

I cannot speak professionally on its aptitude to run video software against
The MBP models- others I am certain can.

When using iMovie does it ever lag or give you the pinwheel? Happened constantly on my current MacBook.

If this does a good job I'm thinking it might be the best option as it has the ssd and better screen than non retina 13" and is cheaper than the 15. Although I could make the 15 have an ssd later at another expense.

I'm not sure if they would let me exchange for the air but if this does good for editing video I might see if they will let me.

----------

Without a doubt - I'd go for a Maxed out MBP - then it's done for life.

Which one?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

There are options for upgrading the SSD on a rMBP at a later date.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDAP12R480/

That said, the Air should be fine. I don't do much in the way of editing, but I have done a fair amount of encoding using Handbrake and some light touchups on Aperture. The 2012 Airs handle it well. Remember, the i7 you are looking at in the Air has comparable performance to the base i5 in the 13" Pro.

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
There are options for upgrading the SSD on a rMBP at a later date.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDAP12R480/

That said, the Air should be fine. I don't do much in the way of editing, but I have done a fair amount of encoding using Handbrake and some light touchups on Aperture. The 2012 Airs handle it well. Remember, the i7 you are looking at in the Air has comparable performance to the base i5 in the 13" Pro.

Would the two extra cores in the pro make a big difference though?

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
I'm sort of thinking either go with the air or fork out the cash for the 15 hr pro. I'm afraid I won't like the screen on the 13 pro and the 13 rMBP doesn't seem like a great option for me. Still afraid the air may suffer with editing but no idea since I haven't tried it yet.

Is the 15 going to mbp with high res screen worth the extra 200 dollars over the air?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

Is the 15 going to mbp with high res screen worth the extra 200 dollars over the air?

To me, it is... But, it all boils down to how you feel coughing up some extra dough, over a straight up replacement with no out of pocket expense!

In terms of pure performance and upgradeability, there's no comparison between the Air and the 15" cMBP.

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
To me, it is... But, it all boils down to how you feel coughing up some extra dough, over a straight up replacement with no out of pocket expense!

In terms of pure performance and upgradeability, there's no comparison between the Air and the 15" cMBP.

The 15 mbp with the high res screen will have similar performance to the air unless I upgrade ram and ssd later though, right? Since it only has 4gigs of ram vs the 8 in the air in the configurations I've looked at.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
The 15 mbp with the high res screen will have similar performance to the air unless I upgrade ram and ssd later though, right? Since it only has 4gigs of ram vs the 8 in the air in the configurations I've looked at.

No, different processors. The Air uses an ULV [ iirc ] processor, unlike the MBPs. While it may feel the same initially [ because of the SSD in the Air and HDD in the MBP ] once you up the RAM or change the HDD for a SSD, game over!

Plus, the 2 extra MB of L3 Cache on the base 15" MBP Vs 13" MBA and the 2 extra cores and the extra real estate of the 15" [ esp. with the HR screen ] will supersede any initial performance benefits you might experience on the Air.

Also, the color gamut is a bit off on the Airs.

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
No, different processors. The Air uses an ULV [ iirc ] processor, unlike the MBPs. While it may feel the same initially [ because of the SSD in the Air and HDD in the MBP ] once you up the RAM or change the HDD for a SSD, game over!

Plus, the 2 extra MB of L3 Cache on the base 15" MBP Vs 13" MBA and the 2 extra cores and the extra real estate of the 15" [ esp. with the HR screen ] will supersede any initial performance benefits you might experience on the Air.

Will I need 8gb of ram if I go with the 15"? If so how much does it cost if I buy it 3rd party? Easy to install like 07 MacBook?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I haven't kept up with RAM prices lately, since I got the rMBP. However, 8GB RAM [ 4GB x 2 config ] should be around $75... just an educated guess.

You don't need 8GB RAM right away, unless you see a lot of page outs in the activity monitor. However, having more RAM will surely help.

Honestly, I'd try working with the 4GB RAM first.. and if it doesn't seem to cut it, upgrade from there instead of slapping in 8GB right away.

You will benefit more with a SSD over RAM, unless there are severe page-outs.

The install is cake! Take off the base plate [ #00 screwdriver iirc ] pull out old RAM [ probably in a 2GB x 2 config ] and replace with new RAM. Screw back the back cover and you're done!

I would suggest running a Mem Test whenever you change RAM to verify that the stick are good!

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
I haven't kept up with RAM prices lately, since I got the rMBP. However, 8GB RAM [ 4GB x 2 config ] should be around $75... just an educated guess.

You don't need 8GB RAM right away, unless you see a lot of page outs in the activity monitor. However, having more RAM will surely help.

Honestly, I'd try working with the 4GB RAM first.. and if it doesn't seem to cut it, upgrade from there instead of slapping in 8GB right away.

You will benefit more with a SSD over RAM, unless there are severe page-outs.

The install is cake! Take off the base plate [ #00 screwdriver iirc ] pull out old RAM [ probably in a 2GB x 2 config ] and replace with new RAM. Screw back the back cover and you're done!

I would suggest running a Mem Test whenever you change RAM to verify that the stick are good!

Assuming all of these are options, I think I've narrowed it down to the 15 or the air. Air is cheaper, lighter, AppleCare is cheaper. 15 has bigger/better screen, but no ssd off the bat. Hmmmmm.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Assuming all of these are options, I think I've narrowed it down to the 15 or the air. Air is cheaper, lighter, AppleCare is cheaper. 15 has bigger/better screen, but no ssd off the bat. Hmmmmm.

Air is weaker than a mbp. cpu will be less powerful. If you want something thats strong, get the 15, it'll last longer. mbp > air as far as power/desktop replacement. air > mbp if you have a desktop or another computer incase you need more power

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Air is weaker than a mbp. cpu will be less powerful. If you want something thats strong, get the 15, it'll last longer. mbp > air as far as power/desktop replacement. air > mbp if you have a desktop or another computer incase you need more power

Not sure if I will need the power or not if the most intensive thing we will due is movie editing with iMovie or similar programs. That's what I'm trying to decide if its worth the cash and if I will see the benefit of the 15 over the air.

----------

Just checked RAM prices on Newegg [my go to place for RAM lol ]

~ $49 for 8GB [ 4 GB x 2 ]

~ 90 for 16GB [ 8GB x 2 ]

Both are DDR 3 @ 1600Mhz [ which is what you'll need ]

Much better prices than when I bought 8GB !!!

Yeah that's not bad at all. If I go with the 15 mbp ill wait and see if the 4gb is sufficient.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Would the two extra cores in the pro make a big difference though?

They definitely would make a difference, as programs have gotten better at using multiple cores. It still might not be twice as fast, but it would be noticeable.

That said, still consider that you are making a big leap with anything you get. The Air weighs about 2.5 lbs less than the 15" cMBP you are looking at. The screen is as large as what you have right now but gives you a higher resolution. The color gamut isn't what it is on the Pro, but you are coming from a base MacBook anyway. It would be a solid choice.

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
They definitely would make a difference, as programs have gotten better at using multiple cores. It still might not be twice as fast, but it would be noticeable.

That said, still consider that you are making a big leap with anything you get. The Air weighs about 2.5 lbs less than the 15" cMBP you are looking at. The screen is as large as what you have right now but gives you a higher resolution. The color gamut isn't what it is on the Pro, but you are coming from a base MacBook anyway. It would be a solid choice.

True, any of these should be way better than what we are used to. I was excited that I was offered the 1499 cMBP as a free replacement and now I'm here. I wonder if I should just get that and call it a day. If it wasn't for the crap screen I might do that. Which leads me to the air and then I thin why not just spend another 200 above that and get the 15. Ugh.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Regarding Apple Care, buy it from B&H instead of Apple.com or store. B&H will save you around $80 and is an authorized Apple reseller. Plus, no tax unless you're in NY :D

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
guess if you were happy wiht what you had before, and as long as it was a better than what you had you'd be satisfied, get the air and really enjoy the new mobility and weight of the air.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
True, any of these should be way better than what we are used to. I was excited that I was offered the 1499 cMBP as a free replacement and now I'm here. I wonder if I should just get that and call it a day. If it wasn't for the crap screen I might do that. Which leads me to the air and then I thin why not just spend another 200 above that and get the 15. Ugh.

lol you're not alone! When I was looking at upgrading my TV [CCFL LCD] to LED or Plasma... my budget was $2000 max. I ended up buying the 65" Panasonic VT30 Plasma for $2899 :eek: So much for self-restraining :p But, damn... the PQ is second to none!.. well Kuros excluded!!

I honestly think it's worth $200 to get the 15", but then if that $200 is a stretch right now... get the Air !

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
lol you're not alone! When I was looking at upgrading my TV [CCFL LCD] to LED or Plasma... my budget was $2000 max. I ended up buying the 65" Panasonic VT30 for $2899 :eek: So much for self-restraining :p

I honestly think it's worth $200 to get the 15", but then if that $200 is a stretch right now... get the Air !

The thing is the air is 200 over the free model they offered and the 15 is another 200 on top of that.

----------

Regarding Apple Care, buy it from B&H instead of Apple.com or store. B&H will save you around $80 and is an authorized Apple reseller. Plus, no tax unless you're in NY :D

How do they offer it cheaper?

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
So the apple store dropped my 2007 macbook and has offered to give me the newest 13" macbook at 1499 for free as it is the most comparable to what I have currently specs-wise. They also said if I want to upgrade I could pay the difference. So basically I have a 1499 credit for a mac.

I'll be using this mostly for normal generic stuff, web browsing, watching movies, etc. I'll also be doing some photo and video editing.

Trying to decide on the following things: Should I upgrade to a retina display, should I upgrade to SSD vs standard hard drive. Should I go to a 15" instead, or see if they would let me get a maxed out air up to 1499 for free. My wife will be using this primarily. She likes to do the photo/video editing and will be using it for school.

Have to make a decision today. Any thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
This kind of opportunity doesn't come around often. I'd put in the extra money to grab the base 15 inch Retina model. It has a powerful processor, good graphics, an amazing screen and it comes with 256GB flash storage as default -- I think it would be great for photo and video editing.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
The thing is the air is 200 over the free model they offered and the 15 is another 200 on top of that.

----------

How do they offer it cheaper?

It should be $300 more instead of $400 for the 15" base cMBP.

I suppose B&H lowers it's margin and makes up for it in volume :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.