Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpa66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Well, I finally took out the harddrive. It was quite easy, and the hardest part was putting together the adapter ( the guys at the store had me unsure of whether I had a SATA drive or an IDE in the iMac, so I simply got a universal connector with USB ). It all worked out. ( It's a SATA drive, as I was nearly sure of anyway, but erred on caution, as I didn't want to return to the store ).

The main problem I'm having is moving everything over to my mini! And the incompatibility of old programs like Appleworks and Mac Windows ( I have Parallels 8, so hopefully I'll be able to salvage all of my work in Windows - ie. the work that pays the bills... ).

Last edited:

ned8flanders

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Don't Panic

Don´t Panic!

I have an iMac G5 (Ambient Light Sensor) 20¨ALS.
Disk hard SATA 7200 rpm 250 Gb.
2 Gb RAM

He had incidents of shutdown due to overheating and after a power outage did not turn on.

I removed the back cover, I checked very detail all the capacitors on the Board (all were fine), ran the Led Test: Connect electrical power and the first led must be lit, if it turns on then it is very likely that the Board well.

In my case I removed the AC Power Unit, I opened the box and there I found several blown capacitors, took her to a technician specialized in AC Power Units.
There replaced you the blown capacitors.

Final cost U$ 35.

(These models tend to overheat, but it is a matter of not having too many applications open at once, clean dust and grease that accumulates inside the ventilation ducts and heat sinks)

Dust and nicotine deposits well into your computer. If you check the fans you'll find batteries from dust.

iFixit has guide detailed open and review each specific model.
It not holding to condemn the device yet.
I've seen almost apocalyptic entries in this forum before buying more and more technological junk learn something about what we have!

Best regards
Ned

----------

Bad capacitors were inside the AC Power Unit

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Don´t Panic!

I have an iMac G5 (Ambient Light Sensor) 20¨ALS.
Disk hard SATA 7200 rpm 250 Gb.
2 Gb RAM

He had incidents of shutdown due to overheating and after a power outage did not turn on.

I removed the back cover, I checked very detail all the capacitors on the Board (all were fine), ran the Led Test: Connect electrical power and the first led must be lit, if it turns on then it is very likely that the Board well.

In my case I removed the AC Power Unit, I opened the box and there I found several blown capacitors, took her to a technician specialized in AC Power Units.
There replaced you the blown capacitors.

Final cost U$ 35.

(These models tend to overheat, but it is a matter of not having too many applications open at once, clean dust and grease that accumulates inside the ventilation ducts and heat sinks)

Dust and nicotine deposits well into your computer. If you check the fans you'll find batteries from dust.

iFixit has guide detailed open and review each specific model.
It not holding to condemn the device yet.
I've seen almost apocalyptic entries in this forum before buying more and more technological junk learn something about what we have!

Best regards
Ned

----------

Bad capacitors were inside the AC Power Unit

Nice fix. Great price. Had that machine for a while, never a problem except that you are probably running the OEM hard drive which is now... seven years old? I replaced that and the machine ran much faster. 2 TB SATA drive should make it fly. Or even a SSD would be interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.