Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:36 AM   #1
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

SSD effect on battery life

Thinking about changing the drive in my MBP to a SSD and wondered if it had much effect on battery life or is it not noticeable? Thinking about the 840 Pro and I'll put the old drive in an external enclosure, probably as a CCC clone for backup. I want to keep the optical drive.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:39 AM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

I've noticed no ill effects with SSDs in MBPs. All gain and no loss, except the cost of the SSD
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:57 AM   #3
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
I've noticed no ill effects with SSDs in MBPs. All gain and no loss, except the cost of the SSD
I'm hoping for some gain, more battery is nice sometimes. Definitely a loss in the bank account since I need a 500gb one.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:01 AM   #4
Philscbx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthompson View Post
I'm hoping for some gain, more battery is nice sometimes. Definitely a loss in the bank account since I need a 500gb one.
From what I've seen at OWC - 240 is the best priced size.
500GB is out of site man - I don't care how deep the pocket is.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:02 AM   #5
Geoffre
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The SSD doesn't hurt battery life (will help a bit, of course) but you'll be disappointed in the difference that it actually makes -- not much better than negligible. The amount of power it takes to spin a hard drive just isn't that much, and pales in comparison to the display/CPU/GPU. That said, it's undoubtedly just about the best possible upgrade for any machine without one.
Geoffre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:51 AM   #6
paul-n
macrumors regular

The best way to have longer battery time, decrease display brightness.
paul-n is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:54 AM   #7
duervo
macrumors 6502a

Shutting my system off does wonders for its battery life.

duervo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Rhyalus
macrumors 6502

I put the Samsung 840 into my Early 2011 MBP and was disappointed that I did not notice any effect on battery life.

R
Rhyalus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:20 PM   #9
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
The SSD doesn't hurt battery life (will help a bit, of course) but you'll be disappointed in the difference that it actually makes -- not much better than negligible. The amount of power it takes to spin a hard drive just isn't that much, and pales in comparison to the display/CPU/GPU. That said, it's undoubtedly just about the best possible upgrade for any machine without one.
That is what I was expecting, a slight improvement but not significant. Would be nice to see a big improvement but that's not why I want a SSD. Too much of my activity is IO bound so improving the disk speed looks to be the best solution.

Quote:
From what I've seen at OWC - 240 is the best priced size.
Except that I have about 260 gb used on my drive now. I travel for long periods and need the data with me. Storing external really doesn't save much money when you add in additional backup drives needed.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Philscbx
macrumors regular

Philscbx - 240 is the best priced size.
Quote:
Except that I have about 260 gb used on my drive now.
Storing external really doesn't save much money when you add in additional backup drives needed.
I have the same problem on my MBP - But there's no reason to not add a 1TB drive or more to the Optical bay.
JUst in case you missed the option.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Quote:
Thinking about changing the drive in my MBP to a SSD and wondered if it had much effect on battery life or is it not noticeable? Thinking about the 840 Pro and I'll put the old drive in an external enclosure, probably as a CCC clone for backup. I want to keep the optical drive.
I swapped on an SSD on a 2008 Macbook Pro I had, then a 2011 Macbook Pro, and never noticed any difference in battery life at all.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:23 PM   #12
stisdal
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Except that I have about 260 gb used on my drive now. I travel for long periods and need the data with me. Storing external really doesn't save much money when you add in additional backup drives needed.

I put a 240 in my MBP, put the 500GB drive I removed into an external enclosure (USB powered) and I keep the large files I don't need all the time on the external drive. Throw the external in your computer bag and your good to go.

I travel for work extensively, and this solution was cost effective while still keeping the storage I needed.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:25 PM   #13
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I have the same problem on my MBP - But there's no reason to not add a 1TB drive or more to the Optical bay.
JUst in case you missed the option.
Some of still use our optical drives. My wife & I get audiobooks from the library, rip them into itunes, and listen at our leisure.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:39 PM   #14
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-n View Post
The best way to have longer battery time, decrease display brightness.
I totally agree. Here's a little known fact about how brightness works on Macs (and probably other systems). Like how we perceive sound, the way we process light is not on a linear curve. So while each of the 16 "bumps" only seems that much brighter proportionally, in reality, each bump up doubles the brightness. So half brightness seems to the eyes to be half as bright as max brightness, but is actually (.5)^8 less bright. This is why it's probably the biggest factor behind battery life (besides CPU cranking up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by duervo View Post
Shutting my system off does wonders for its battery life.

Haha, I lulzed.

At the OP, for your purposes, don't assume it will affect battery life at all. I've never been able to notice, as the increase will be marginal compared the natural variation in battery life resulting from how heavily you use it on a given charge cycle.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:09 PM   #15
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

I dont think the SSD would have any change in battery life.
As said above me, the most difference you can see is by lowering your brightness.
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro