Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
Most sticks have a button of some sort in order to prevent shifting in reverse. You need to press the button for it to shift into reverse.
What? Automatics with floor shifters, yeah, but I've never seen a stick that worked like that. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I don't think they're common.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
What? Automatics with floor shifters, yeah, but I've never seen a stick that worked like that. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I don't think they're common.

Not necessarily a button, but most do have a lockout mechanism. On my old GTI, I had to push the shifter down to get into reverse. I've seen others that have a collar you pull up.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
You have no idea what you are talking about.... A front mounted engine does not help keep 50/50 weight distribution, there is a reason why some of the best cars in the world have mid mounted engines, its also the reason alot of front mounted engines have the gearbox in the back. Also displacement vs Power Does matter, its all about volumetric efficiency, something the old pushrod Chevy engine is pathetic at. Give me a 5L quad OHC V8 with a supercharger anyday.

Which the Corvette has..... The engine is front mounted with the transmission at the rear. Hence having the engine in the front helps with the balance of weight.....

It doesn't matter. At the end of the day, you can claim HP/liter all you want while you eat Corvette dust. If that makes you feel better when you lose against a 'Vette, go for it. The only areas HP/liter matters is in areas where displacement is taxed and in F1( where I believe there is a displacement limit, not 100% sure). But, as long as the engine is fuel efficient, good power band, etc it doesn't matter what the displacement is in the US and countries where there isn't some limits or tax.....

Don't get me wrong engines that produce a lot of HP per liter are impressive feats of engineering, but it isn't a factor of buying that car vs a car that has a lower HP/liter.

In a lot of sticks I have driven( which isn't a lot I admit), there is some mechanism.

df3de052e545462bdc038062c79f52bax.jpg

See that ring right below the knob? You have to lift up on that in order to engage reverse gear.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004

Again, Top Gear is for entertainment only. You think Clarkson is a good driver? A person whose solution to everything is, " POWEEER!!!!!"......But if you're going to use Top Gear as a metric, the ZR1 was faster around the track than the R8 when driven by the stig( the only objective part of the show). The R8 V10 did it in 1:21.6(damp). The ZR1 did it in 1:20.4(damp). Also, the R8 was losing its rear end when the Stig drove it and kept the ZR1 under control.....

Last edited:

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
am not usually a fan of modern sports car redesign but I rather like this one.

nice lines, not convinced about the tail lights but otherwise quite fetching.

of course I'd still take the Aston over it anyday (am a smooth lines kinda girl)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Never really liked Corvettes (or GM cars in general) but it looks pretty cool on the front and side. Definitely don't like the back though. Reminds me of the metal thing from Thor that spat fire... but really, it doesn't really have those iconic Corvette taillights which I think they should've kept.

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
...Also displacement vs Power Does matter, its all about volumetric efficiency, something the old pushrod Chevy engine is pathetic at. Give me a 5L quad OHC V8 with a supercharger anyday.

If volumetric efficiency doesn't give you:
a) better fuel efficiency
b) lower weight
c) smaller engine for packaging purposes

then no, it doesn't matter. The Corvette is fuel efficient, light weight, and pretty small. A supercharged 5L V8 would not make this thing better.

----------

Then there's the lies & con job called the "Volt... Electric Car" that had a gasoline engine hidden under the hood. After enough of that hypocrisy, I swore off GM, sold my CTS-V Coupe & replaced it with a new M-6.

Oh please, as if GM would benefit from making people think the Volt had all the limitations of an EV after putting in all the engineering effort into developing an EV with an engine for longer trips. Con job my arse!

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
If volumetric efficiency doesn't give you:
a) better fuel efficiency
b) lower weight
c) smaller engine for packaging purposes

then no, it doesn't matter. The Corvette is fuel efficient, light weight, and pretty small. A supercharged 5L V8 would not make this thing better.

A OHC 5L engine is going to be lighter, more fuel efficient, and smaller. All the things that you said would matter... Turbocharging it would actually make it more environmentally friendly too. The only downside to an engine like this is the cost.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
on the design: like the back but i have to say that in some parts it's simply overdesigned (the hood: why so many lines)

a disease some US car makers got by looking to much at french cars from the past

on the displacement discussion it has one big impact though: it limits sales massively abroad, even in countries where taxes are based not on displacement
have i ever seen a C6 on the road ? nope .... and i have seen a Fisker while waiting for the bus going home from work

always adding more horsepower isn't helping either (taxes and insurance sadly are insane), i suppose a V6 would do wonders for worldwide sales but it simply isn't possible as US americans would look upon it as herecy

also it's comical how similiar the Corvette and the GT-R are in this regard: massive performance, hardly ever seen on the streets, while the normal cars from both companies are known to be passable quality family vehicles
does the Corvette help to sell more Cruze or Malibus ? (i already forgot the rest of their line up)
or does the GT-R sell more Micras, Qashqai, Qashqai 2s or Jukes

i'm not seeing the halo effect at work for either company

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
The Corvette is common as dirt here. It's a stereotypical fat old white guy crisis car. 90% of them have automatic transmissions, that should tell you something about how seriously the buyers take performance.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
A OHC 5L engine is going to be lighter, more fuel efficient, and smaller. All the things that you said would matter... Turbocharging it would actually make it more environmentally friendly too. The only downside to an engine like this is the cost.

Ford's 5.0 Coyote V8 weighs 430 lb. The LS3 weighs 415 lb.

Here is a comparison of BMW's 4.0 liter V8(left) vs the LS3(right). They appear to be similar size if not the BMW V8 a bit bigger.....

s65ls3sidebyside.jpg

Here is a picture of the LS2( 6.0 liters, left) vs the VQ35(right).

bbpress

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
on the design: like the back but i have to say that in some parts it's simply overdesigned (the hood: why so many lines)

a disease some US car makers got by looking to much at french cars from the past

on the displacement discussion it has one big impact though: it limits sales massively abroad, even in countries where taxes are based not on displacement
have i ever seen a C6 on the road ? nope .... and i have seen a Fisker while waiting for the bus going home from work

always adding more horsepower isn't helping either (taxes and insurance sadly are insane), i suppose a V6 would do wonders for worldwide sales but it simply isn't possible as US americans would look upon it as herecy

also it's comical how similiar the Corvette and the GT-R are in this regard: massive performance, hardly ever seen on the streets, while the normal cars from both companies are known to be passable quality family vehicles
does the Corvette help to sell more Cruze or Malibus ? (i already forgot the rest of their line up)
or does the GT-R sell more Micras, Qashqai, Qashqai 2s or Jukes

Well remember cars like the Corvette are not meant to be profitable in and of themselves. They generally are loss leaders and best case break even. They are more meant to help drive sales of the other cars and bring peopple in to Chevrolet. They are a rolling bill board.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Which the Corvette has..... The engine is front mounted with the transmission at the rear. Hence having the engine in the front helps with the balance of weight.....

Is it actually front engined, or is it front-mid engined?

The R8 V10 did it in 1:21.6(damp). The ZR1 did it in 1:20.4(damp). Also, the R8 was losing its rear end when the Stig drove it and kept the ZR1 under control.....

To be fair, you're comparing a detuned naturally aspirated V10, against a Supercharged V8 making 120hp more. I'm not surprised the Vette was quicker. Actually I'm surprised the gap wasn't much greater given that discrepancy.

The Corvette is fuel efficient, light weight, and pretty small. A supercharged 5L V8 would not make this thing better.

It is. But it begs the question, could it be more efficient, could it be even lighter and could it be even smaller if they used a smaller engine to make similar figures?

Anyway, regarding the new 2014 Corvette Stingray, I think the styling is a little fussy, but it's far less banal and anonymous than the current Corvette. The interior's still a shocker though.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Is it actually front engined, or is it front-mid engined?

Looks to be front engined( though not sure what you mean by front-mid-engined).

2014-Chevrolet-Corvette-029.jpg

To be fair, you're comparing a detuned naturally aspirated V10, against a Supercharged V8 making 120hp more. I'm not surprised the Vette was quicker. Actually I'm surprised the gap wasn't much greater given that discrepancy.

He brought that review up. I was just using it against him saying Clarkson is a joke of a driver and the ZR1 did a faster time than the R8. Wasn't saying the review was apples vs apples.

I love Top Gear UK( USA sucks). It's a great show( since I am a car nut). But, I won't take that show as a serious evaluator of a car. It's for entertainment only. The only objective thing about that show is the Stig's track times.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Looks to be front engined( though not sure what you mean by front-mid-engined).

It's front-mid engined then, see the engine is behind the axle line. In a front engined car, the majority is in front/over of the axle.

It's a great show( since I am a car nut). But, I won't take that show as a serious evaluator of a car.

I don't either. The boys can drive, but it's unfortunate that over the years, they've felt the need to dumb down their undoubted abilities, knowledge and intelligence to appeal more to the less-informed masses rather than enthusiasts.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Not too bad for an American Car, but the BUM just does not match, it probably also drives like crap, European cars are still much better than so called American super cars.

I get what you're saying, but you pay a pretty penny more for the equivalently powered European car. Particularly the ZR1, which can keep up with the Italian super cars which are three times as expensive.

I drive an old Audi, I would never buy American again unless I somehow obtained the funds for one of these. Even then I would think about an RS6.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
I get what you're saying, but you pay a pretty penny more for the equivalently powered European car. Particularly the ZR1, which can keep up with the Italian super cars which are three times as expensive.

the corvette and the ZR1 get a magic price hick by crossing the ocean though:
ZR1 in germany: 136.000 euro (converted to dollar: 180.000 $) ... rather tough to swallow
that's why they have 3 digit sales per year in the combined Europe/Middle East sales region

but the corvette is in good company, a boat load of sports cars are price massivly higher in europe, the japanese and germans like to do it as well

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I love this upgrade. I haven't been a corvette fan for a long time but this bad boy makes me drool. I think it looks a lot like the GTR from the sides but more "wavy" if you will. I know a lot of you guys hate the "camaro looking" back but I love it.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
My problem with the C7 Corvette is that with all those little styling details, the new Corvette is not pleasant-looking like the C4 to C6 models--in short, too much of what the Japanese call "surface excitement."

I'm sure it'll be a great car, but it just doesn't have the curvaceous lines of the Ferrari 458 Italia....

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
I can see Pamela Anderson driving that Vette....looks too flash to me and I don't like how the 4 exhausts are all grouped together, a man driving a car like that?...hmmmm...would look like he's trying a bit too hard to impress.

When will American car companies start making cars with the build quality of high end European cars? why is it so difficult to get an interior the same quality as a BMW or Audi?

Talking of BMW....loved the new 4 series coupe at Detroit

DSC_02661-627x400_zps718d5b35.jpg

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
You have no idea what you are talking about.... A front mounted engine does not help keep 50/50 weight distribution, there is a reason why some of the best cars in the world have mid mounted engines, its also the reason alot of front mounted engines have the gearbox in the back. Also displacement vs Power Does matter, its all about volumetric efficiency, something the old pushrod Chevy engine is pathetic at. Give me a 5L quad OHC V8 with a supercharger anyday.

If its between the axles it's mid, you can have front mid or rear mid depending on taste. This Vette is just a mid engined and ugly as any Ferrari or Lamborghini.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I can see Pamela Anderson driving that Vette....looks too flash to me and I don't like how the 4 exhausts are all grouped together, a man driving a car like that?...hmmmm...would look like he's trying a bit too hard to impress.

Are you trying to compensate for something by trying to say the Corvette isn't a vehicle a man should drive? :rolleyes: People who drive BMW's, Audi's, Lambo's, Ferrari's, etc are also trying too hard to impress. They buy them for the image and prestige the brands have. For me, I don't give a crap about image or what others think of me because of what car I drive. If I did, I wouldn't be driving a Saturn..... All I care about is if the car is a good car. I love BMW's because of how they drive. I don't love them because they simply have a good image. I love the Corvette because it is an amazing sports car. Not because I am having a mid-life crisis, etc.

When will American car companies start making cars with the build quality of high end European cars? why is it so difficult to get an interior the same quality as a BMW or Audi?

You haven't even been inside the Corvette yet or seen it in person. How can you judge it's build quality by looking at CG shots and pictures of a show car? The interior of the new Corvette uses leather and real carbon fiber. So it isn't exactly a low end interior material wise per se( have to sit in an actual production one to see how good the materials are). Plus, BMW's don't exactly have well designed interiors either. They use decent materials, but they are more function over form. Audi's interiors look nice though.

Last edited:

vampyr

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
I like the car, looks great... but the performance numbers aren't that great.

The ONE thing I am happy to see is paddle shifters.... but not sure how the paddle shifters work since it says it is only for a 6 speed automatic transmission???

Nonetheless, I'll wait until the ZR1 is updated to the new C style and see how well it performs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.