Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
tedesco24
macrumors member

rip my dvd's and watch with Apple TV

This is probably a basic question but here goes. I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV for Christmas.

My goal is to:
1. Rip some of my daughter's DVD's, like Boz the Bear and Elmo, onto my MacBook Pro
2. Hook the Apple TV up to the TV in her playroom
3. Stream the DVD from the MBP onto the TV in the playroom.

Is this possible?
If so, what is the degree of difficulty?
Does my MBP need to constantly be turned on so that she can use the Apple TV remote to have access to her DVD collection stored on my MBP?

I have found some network TV apps for watching TV on my iPhone. Does the Apple TV support these apps as well...for instance, can I turn on the TV in the playroom, open the ABC Player app and start watching episodes of "The Middle"?
If not, can I start watching "The Middle" on my iPhone and have it projected on the TV in the playroom?
How many devices can "feed" the Apple TV? My iPhone, MBP and iPad?
We all have a choice, choose life and honor Him!
tedesco24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:22 PM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

Easy, use Handbrake to rip them. It'll probably ask you to install a runtime VLC client, that's okay.

Set it up for ATV2 or 3 depending on which one you have.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Rushli0n
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco24 View Post
This is probably a basic question but here goes. I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV for Christmas.

My goal is to:
1. Rip some of my daughter's DVD's, like Boz the Bear and Elmo, onto my MacBook Pro

Is this possible?
Does my MBP need to constantly be turned on so that she can use the Apple TV remote to have access to her DVD collection stored on my MBP?

I have found some network TV apps for watching TV on my iPhone. Does the Apple TV support these apps as well...for instance, can I turn on the TV in the playroom, open the ABC Player app and start watching episodes of "The Middle"?
If not, can I start watching "The Middle" on my iPhone and have it projected on the TV in the playroom?
It's quite easy to setup. Rip the disc using Handbrake, add metadata using Subler (if you want) and import them into your iTunes library.

Your MBP will need to be turned on in order to use Home Sharing. My MB sleeps though and the connection still works.

As far as the apps go, that is hit or miss. You need to investigate if the app supports AirPlay. If it does, then you are all set. I don't know of a definitive list that shows all the ones that support AirPlay or not.

I don't know if there is a limit to how many devices can feed an ATV, but it should handle your iPhone, iPad an MBP just fine.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:34 PM   #4
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

Quote:

My goal is to:

Is this possible? ?
Like others have said yes very easy to do. i use a program called RipIt to rip the DVD to my iMac, then i dump several into Handbrake and let it work through them over night.

Then i use a program called identify to add the metadata (artwork, actors, Description etc...) and export to iTunes (iDentify does the export).

Quote:
Yes it needs to be on (iTunes needs to be running), but it can be asleep

Quote:
Again like others have said it depends on the app and if it will suport Video through airplay. You also might be able to mirror to your ATV with your iPhone 4s or greater.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:49 AM   #5
vigosstian
macrumors newbie

Use Hanbrake or DVD Shrink.
If it dosen't work, maybe your DVDs are protected type, try someother DVD ripper that can rip protected DVDs.
vigosstian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:02 AM   #6
chriscl
macrumors 6502

I use iVI Pro, which will not only rip DVDs, but will also download the associated metadata and artwork, and then add the file to iTunes, all automatically. I just pop in a disk, set it going and leave it to it - it's an easy way to go if you want an (almost) completely "hands off" solution.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:12 PM   #7
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

MakeMKV to rip --> Handbrake to convert --> iDentify (or subler) to add meta data --> add to iTunes (iDentify can do this step automatically) --> setup home sharing --> stream to Apple TV --> Success!
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater