Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vooblu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use a 2012 iMac as a monitor for my thunderbolt enabled PC (using a thunderbolt cable between the two thunderbolt ports). The iMac is shown on my PC under "Devices and Printers" as a "PCI to PCI Bridge" instead of a monitor. Target Display Mode doesn't kick in when they're connected.

Would it help if I installed the BootCamp drivers on my PC, or should those drivers only be installed on a mac which is running Windows? Are there any risks of the Apple drivers conflicting with my Windows drivers, and should the drivers help?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
BootCamp drivers are only for Windows installed on a Mac as drivers for Mac hardware. There has been some discussion on other MacRumors forums about using iMacs or Thunderbolt displays as displays for TB equipped PCs. The few that have been successful in using iMacs in target display mode have TB equipped motherboards using Ivy Bridge CPUs with integrated HD4000 GPUs.

Do you have such a CPU, and do you have the Intel and motherboard integrated GPU drivers installed. Thunderbolt uses the Displayport video from the integrated GPU.

vooblu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Hi drambuie,

Thanks for the reply.

I have an i5-3570 Ivy Bridge CPU but it only has HD2500 (same family as HD4000 though so I was hoping it might work). The igfx have been enabled in the BIOS. The HD2500 supports 3 monitors, so I would assume it can power an iMac display. My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77Z-UP4 TH.

As far as I know, the Intel drivers are the latest version. I haven't checked the "motherboard integrated GPU drivers". Where would I go for that? I can only find this section (down the bottom, select Windows 7 64).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.