Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Dr144
macrumors newbie

Best software for home remodel?

I'm looking to remodel a few rooms in my house (tear down some walls, change plumbing etc) and I'd like to know what the best software is for drawing and planning is (floor plans / blueprints)? Is Google sketchup right for this since this isn't 3D drawing but 2D? Any suggestions for mac software? I'd like to keep the price down but don't want to work with buggy or incapable tools.
Dr144 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:24 AM   #2
Big Bad D
macrumors member

Sketchup can do this: it can be viewed and laid out as though in a 2-D plan, rather than being seen as 3-D - if that's what you want. But Sketchup really works in 3-D and you would then be just limiting the viewing or printing of your design in 2-D. It would be almost as straightforward to create a simple 3-D model of the room(s) and, perhaps using layers, to detail the different "before" and "after" changes?
Big Bad D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Hermes Monster
macrumors 6502a

Try the design tool at mydeco.com. It's a really good designer, start off top down view using real world furniture - you can then render it in 3D to great effect. Not sure if this meets your needs but it's worth a try for nothing.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 06:18 PM   #4
garycurtis
macrumors 6502

We just built a new home. The second time around. Get this book : Good House Parts. So you can make informed choices that are aesthetically pleasing and technically correct.

The computer won't do that for you, and to help a contractor, you would need blueprint size prints. Of course that can be done at Kinkos from a CD. As a dedicated woodworker, I've heard only marvelous things about SketchUp.
garycurtis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:35 PM   #5
glidagida
macrumors newbie

Self Home design

Hi

I am an architect and try heaps of software just to see what is out there.

Probably the best is Live Interior Pro or Punch Home Design Studio Pro.

Cheers
glidagida is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Space Penguin
macrumors newbie

I use Microspot Interiors Pro. http://www.microspot.com/products/in...sPro/index.htm
Space Penguin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:43 PM   #7
ColoSprgsTabi
macrumors newbie

Punch! Home Design Studio Pro for Mac

I noticed someone else recommended this software so I bought it and tried it out. I thought it was terrible. It will not do exact dimensions (or if it can, support can't figure it out.) I am still looking for a good solution as well. It starts you off with a Quick Start that will only work in exact feet and leaving off those extra couple inches in every room throws your entire design off.
ColoSprgsTabi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:56 AM   #8
EnriqueIL
macrumors newbie

Home Remodeling is not always an easy task. I'm also wandered for this about one year ago. Hope you got a suitable solution for your query till now if not then one solution in my mind named San Diego General Contractor which is popular for these kind of remodeling. I was also used their services for myself. If you have any query in regards with the same then you may also search about them.
EnriqueIL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:53 AM   #9
Space Penguin
macrumors newbie

ColoSprgsTabi

Interiors can be a bit tricky to start off with but once you have the hang of it its really easy to use. You can change the unit type to other things (I for example use mm and metres) in options > unit types, you can also adjust the decimal spacing here to give it added detail... Grid snapping is also found here (options > grid options) and can be adjusted to give you that extra hand hope this helps! don't give up!!
Space Penguin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
drafting, software