Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
I'm trying to convert an old school kung fu movie with 2 ac3 audio tracks. Would I need to create 2 seperate aac tracks to ensure that they play on any tv?

I know with 5.1 ac3 you need a 2 channel aac for it to play on any tv.

Also, in subler, would I just select one of the aac tracks as the default? Will there be any issues with playing audio with that many tracks or do I just need to change the alternate group on them?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I'm trying to convert an old school kung fu movie with 2 ac3 audio tracks. Would I need to create 2 seperate aac tracks to ensure that they play on any tv?

I know with 5.1 ac3 you need a 2 channel aac for it to play on any tv.

Also, in subler, would I just select one of the aac tracks as the default? Will there be any issues with playing audio with that many tracks or do I just need to change the alternate group on them?
Only need 1 AAC track set to default.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
But I need to create both language tracks as aac in order to ensure htey both play the ac3 when the connection is available?
I have never encountered your exact situation. I only do one language, english. But if you are playing only on an aTV and you are wanting to listen to either of the 2 AC3 tracks, I see no reason why you would need to have 2 AAC tracks.

Now, if you are wanting to watch (or ever think you might want to watch) the movie on something that is stereo (iPad, TV speakers, etc), then you would need an AAC track for each language.

You easiest solution is to transcode a single chapter in the format (single AAC or double AAC) and see if it works in your particular situation. Just transcoding a single chapter will be a pretty quick test to find out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.