Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I just found this app that should be able to run mountain lion and intel only apps on PowerPC.
I am not 100% sure if this will work, but I am going to try it within a few days.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
This sounds too good to be true unfortunately. :/ It'd have to be some kind of emulation, and would likely have poor performance.

But maybe I just have no imagination. :)

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Judging from past events, I just know this is going to be good. My guess would be Darwine.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I don't even want to run mountain lion on intel machines what makes you think I would want to run it on my powerpc machines

So this thread isn't for you ;)

I'd love to run Mountain Lion and Silverlight on my Clamshell :p :D
I'm holding my breath to hear what's the miraculous app...

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I once had this program (we did not call them apps back then), which let me run Windows 98 (and more importantly: all my favorite games) on my Powermac G3. compared to the 486 box I had at that time, the virtualized windows worked really nice and smooth.

But like some others here: I'd rather run leopard (snow or regular) on my i7 MBP than Mountain Lion (even Lion's a pain).

RGDS,

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
I just found this app that should be able to run mountain lion and intel only apps on PowerPC.
I am not 100% sure if this will work, but I am going to try it within a few days.

Also, it will bring back 'Chuck', CSI Miami, Dexter's Lab, Megas XLR, Samurai Jack and Farscape back on TV

No, seriously, this can't be done. Mountain Lion will never never never run on a PowerPC mac without emulation.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
It is an emulator.
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20830/q-emulator

----------

Yeah, I'm wondering too.

Come in, drop something like that, no link, no mention of the app name. What are we all supposed to think?

----------

Also, it will bring back 'Chuck', CSI Miami, Dexter's Lab, Megas XLR, Samurai Jack and Farscape back on TV

No, seriously, this can't be done. Mountain Lion will never never never run on a PowerPC mac without emulation.

----------

This is a joke or a clueless guy no doubt.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OK. So thanks for finally naming the app. But you do realize that the Q-emulator has been around for a few years right?

And then there is VirtualPC 7 made by Microsoft. That's been around a few years. VPC was originally made by Connectix and they were doing this back during OS9 days before OSX.

Right now I'm running Win7 Ultimate on my 1Ghz PowerBook G4 using VPC7.

Thanks again though.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
OK. So thanks for finally naming the app. But you do realize that the Q-emulator has been around for a few years right?

And then there is VirtualPC 7 made by Microsoft. That's been around a few years. VPC was originally made by Connectix and they were doing this back during OS9 days before OSX.

Right now I'm running Win7 Ultimate on my 1Ghz PowerBook G4 using VPC7.

Thanks again though.

But can it run mac osx?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
But can it run mac osx?
I would think so. You are essentially talking about a Hackintosh, but just using an emulator.

That's just going to be so glacially slow and fraught with problems that I've never let it get past the potentiality stage. It's possible, just not something I want to undertake.

Unless you have a link to someone who's managed to do this easily?

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
I would think so. You are essentially talking about a Hackintosh, but just using an emulator.

That's just going to be so glacially slow and fraught with problems that I've never let it get past the potentiality stage. It's possible, just not something I want to undertake.

Unless you have a link to someone who's managed to do this easily?

My dad does this stuff its his hobby not the osx stuff but emulating windows 7 on q.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
No it can't. Q doesn't provide the proper things for a Mac OS X system. If it did, it would run Intell 10.4.X extremely slowly and 10.8.X would take days too boot.

I'm sure that someone could make it somehow to run Mountain Lion on my Clamshell ;) :p :D

...and where's the link?

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Q is just a graphical frontend for QEMU - a pretty well-known piece of software in virtualization/emulation circles. People have reported that VirtualPC runs faster than QEMU - so use that if your aim is to run Windows.

With regards to Moutain Lion running on it, yes it is [probably] possible, but it is going to be ridiculously slow. I have found this article on getting Leopard running under QEMU, essentially it is a fancy Hackintosh install (custom kexts are needed). The difference is that this guy is using QEMU fort virtualization, we must use QEMU for emulation - this might break a few things.

Perhaps if I get some spare time I might give it a go and do a write-up - but I see no benefit over emulating Windows XP on VPC (obviously very dependant on what you need to do - but if you need ML for a newer Mac app, thus you will be using it interactively - forget it.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.