Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ongharry1014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
Hey Guys

I was playing around with iMessage today with a buddy and both of us don't quite understand the logic with iMessage/SMS. So I am hoping someone from this forum can answer our question.

So here is what happened. iMessage sends through wifi when we both have a connection to the internet. However, when one of us disconnects from internet, the iPhone with the internet still sends as iMessage to the disconnected phone. Now I would think that the iPhone with the internet should automatically detect the status of the disconnected phone and sends as sms. This is what puzzled me.

Hence my question is, is this the way iMessage is designed or is this a bug? What if I am in a scenario where my friend gets disconnected from the internet but urgently needs my message? Lets assume that for some reason he can't pick up the phone but only can receive my text message.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
iMessage works over cellular data and WiFi, as long as one is in place, the iMessage will still go through. But if you're in doubt, after you send your iMessage text, tap and hold it and there will be an option to send it as a regular text message.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
iMessage works over cellular data and WiFi, as long as one is in place, the iMessage will still go through. But if you're in doubt, after you send your iMessage text, tap and hold it and there will be an option to send it as a regular text message.

interesting tip.. I didn't even know you could do that

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Hey Guys

I was playing around with iMessage today with a buddy and both of us don't quite understand the logic with iMessage/SMS. So I am hoping someone from this forum can answer our question.

So here is what happened. iMessage sends through wifi when we both have a connection to the internet. However, when one of us disconnects from internet, the iPhone with the internet still sends as iMessage to the disconnected phone. Now I would think that the iPhone with the internet should automatically detect the status of the disconnected phone and sends as sms. This is what puzzled me.

Hence my question is, is this the way iMessage is designed or is this a bug? What if I am in a scenario where my friend gets disconnected from the internet but urgently needs my message? Lets assume that for some reason he can't pick up the phone but only can receive my text message.

The iPhone only periodically checks the iMessage status of number that you're texting in iOS 6. I think it checks once a day whenever you text that person. So, whatever the status is then, your iPhone will send either iMessages or SMS accordingly for the rest of the day.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
The iPhone only periodically checks the iMessage status of number that you're texting in iOS 6. I think it checks once a day whenever you text that person. So, whatever the status is then, your iPhone will send either iMessages or SMS accordingly for the rest of the day.

There you have it. I didn't know this and answers one of life's mysteries of ever changing green vs. blue messages. How quaint!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

That's not true. It's based on whether you have an Internet (wifi or data) connection or not. If you do, it sends as iMessage. If you don't, it sends as SMS. Hence why I can be out and about, sending iMessages. Then, lose data coverage and it switched to SMS, then a few minutes later regain data coverage and it immediately will switch back to iMessage.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
That's not true. It's based on whether you have an Internet (wifi or data) connection or not. If you do, it sends as iMessage. If you don't, it sends as SMS. Hence why I can be out and about, sending iMessages. Then, lose data coverage and it switched to SMS, then a few minutes later regain data coverage and it immediately will switch back to iMessage.

What I said is true. And regarding what you said, I turned off Data/Wifi on my iPhone and when I attempt to message him, it tries to send an iMessage.

You're talking about the sender; I'm talking about the sendee.

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
iMessage is really well designed. It will still use iMessage over cellular, but if the recipient doesn't receive the message within a few minutes, your phone will resend it as an SMS.

Did you know that if you are both on wifi, pics get sent at full resolution? Apple really nailed iMessage down. It's today's BBM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.