Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Has anyone here ever had any luck with penny auction sites? It's obvious that everyone thinks they're scams (no, I'm not hired by any of the sites) but if you do do your research to see what the item sold for previously, your chances are greater, right? Has anyone here actually won? I'm looking at one right now. There's a guarantee that if you spend $100 (I think), you're guaranteed to win something. It really is a smart business strategy if you think about it. But my main question - has anyone here won anything with them?

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Those websites make a KILLING.

Each "penny" bid is $1.
$50 Amazon gift card for $1.57
Meaning company had revenue of $157 on the item or profit of $107.

Crazy.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I know they make hefty profits, but the ones that guarantee a win with $120, for say, an iPad or Mac is worth it.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I know they make hefty profits, but the ones that guarantee a win with $120, for say, an iPad or Mac is worth it.

There is no possible way they could scam you.

Seriously, are you that gullible ? Do you really think their business model is to guarantee you a $120 iPad ?

-t

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas

I've never heard of anyone who actually got a deal on these sites. However, you seem pretty confident you can do it. So, I say go for it. After you can report back to all of us how you did.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.