Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:13 AM   #151
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

People who are asking how hard was it to really rip a CD; it wasn't. This is just a nice service that Amazon is offering. I wish they would also do this for any vinyl I've purchased from them because not everything came with an electronic download. I do purchase vinyl to listen to, not to keep in my home untouched.

I feel this is a take it or leave it service. Amazon is not asking us for anything, which is really great.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:33 AM   #152
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
AAC quality is NOT MUCH higher, if you use a “high quality” MP3 encoder. And many older devices DO NOT support formats like AAC.[COLOR="#808080"]
MP3 is older generation encoding technology. It takes more space for the same or lesser quality. If you encode at a higher level you can get higher quality but you'd have larger files than the same quality level if you had encoded with the MP4 based AAC format. AAC is ubiquitous now and has been for quite a number years.

It's a disgrace that Amazon (and Google as well) are still encoding in the old and somewhat outdated mp3 format. Especially Google since they had a chance to start fresh with the more modern AAC format. Amazon would have to re-encode theirs but I guess they are taking the cheap route. If Apple went ahead and spent the time and money to re-encode to a better format then why can't Amazon?
newagemac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:18 AM   #153
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
And many older devices DO NOT support formats like AAC.
So anyone with out of date tech can just batch convert AAC files to mp3 if they need it. It's a shame that they're sticking everyone with inferior encoding because of a minority with old gear.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:35 AM   #154
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
You realise that CDs and DVDs are digital and have been for 25 years?
Yes, of course. Today, when referencing "digital" media, people do not mean the encoding method used for a physical delivery medium. Digital is virtual, like an mp3, wav, whatever. CD's, DVD's, etc are "physical" mediums.

I would hope that most folks know that CD's and DVD's are not analog encoding.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:43 AM   #155
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

Interesting little tid bit on this service. If you order(ed) a CD and return it, you'll still get the MP3's for that CD. I had bought a few CD's almost a year ago and wound up returning them. Once I logged into my Amazon Cloud account, it started adding those CD's to my cloud account. Pretty sure this will need to be fixed soon.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:56 AM   #156
milo
macrumors 603

It will be interesting to see how they handle that considering that people could download the files then return the CD unopened (or even try to cancel the order before it ships). Maybe a policy of no CD returns once you've downloaded the files (which would require a prominent warning). Or maybe put that in place per user for people who have done it once. It's hard to imagine they'd leave it so people could keep gaming the system.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:22 PM   #157
tkermit
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
It will be interesting to see how they handle that considering that people could download the files then return the CD unopened (or even try to cancel the order before it ships).
In that case, you'll get charged for the MP3 versions of the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon T&C
If you cancel your order or return this album, our normal order cancellation and product return policies will apply regarding the physical version of this album. However, if you download any of the tracks on the MP3 version of the album from your Cloud Player library (including if you have enabled auto-download to a device and any of the tracks on the MP3 version of the album auto-download), you will be considered to have purchased the MP3 version of the album from the Amazon MP3 Store
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:28 PM   #158
emaja
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
When I get a new CD I have to rip it twice, once for the home audio in ALAC and then again for my iPod and iPhone in MP3.
Out of curiosity, why do you do it twice when you can check the "Convert higher bit rate songs to..." and let iTunes do it when syncing?
emaja is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:09 PM   #159
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Completely unimpressed so far

I have been waiting for this ability for years. Happy they are finally offering it but not happy in it's implementation and roll out. I have bought a lot of CDs from them in the past 15 years....wanna know how many they autoripped for me? THREE. And one of those wasn't even for me...it was a gift. So I am not impressed. Most of the stuff I have bought from them isn't even included so what's the point? This doesn't do anything for me....other then piss me off.

And the situation with only some songs from an album being included is even worse. I will say it right now....all the record industry lawyers need to get the F out of the way and stop standing in the way of progress. It's absolutely ridiculous to have this partial album crap whether it is with this service on Amazon, or songs on Spotify or anywhere else. Albums ought to be available in their entirety otherwise they're just making a complete mess out of everyone's collections.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:28 PM   #160
MrKennedy
macrumors member

Been shopping around Amazon and noticed that price of their MP3 albums have dropped about a dollar or two below the physical album price. Finally.
MrKennedy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:05 AM   #161
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaja View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you do it twice when you can check the "Convert higher bit rate songs to..." and let iTunes do it when syncing?
That takes even more time b/c it has to convert every time. (I rotate songs a lot).
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:55 AM   #162
frayne182
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
So you steal music, do you?[COLOR="#808080"]
lol yeah I steal it all the time. I still buy certain bands, but most I download. IDGAF
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:13 AM   #163
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Actually what someone else said earlier appears to be accurate. You can no longer download music form Amazon without their MP3 downloader plugin.

That's a bit limiting. It used to be that single tracks would download using a browser.
You still can, i have downladed several since Saturday, you just click "skip downlad" at the bottom of the window when it pos up, and then you can download from your browser.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:52 AM   #164
rhett7660
macrumors 604

The free rip is nice however I have been ripping at a lossless format. But it is still a pretty cool thing to see from Amazon.com.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:56 AM   #165
Jetson
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne182 View Post
how is it hard to put in a CD and just rip it manually? lol.

I guess this makes it slightly easier.

Whatever... People still buy music?
Well if you bought a new iMac it is IMPOSSIBLE

Unless you also purchase a CD/DVD device to supplement your "all-in-one' iMac
Jetson is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion