Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Squilly
macrumors 68020

What Will Apple Call Their Next iPad?

Any ideas? They seem to be going the "iPad with Retina Display" route. That's what they did on their iPad 3 and iPad 4. Will it be the same way with the iPad 5? Just "The New iPad" or "iPad with Retina Display"?
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Any ideas? They seem to be going the "iPad with Retina Display" route. That's what they did on their iPad 3 and iPad 4. Will it be the same way with the iPad 5? Just "The New iPad" or "iPad with Retina Display"?
Either "The New iPad" or "iPad with Retina", I'd guess.

Eventually, they're just going to go to "iPad (Date)" like they do with their Macs.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:13 AM   #3
jdag
macrumors 6502

I am sure that their product and marketing teams have much better insight than I have...but I find it utterly confusing that they've muddied the naming convention of the iPad so significantly.

Try reading the ad circulars in the Sunday paper next week. You may see something like this:

Get a $30 gift card with purchase of any iPad**
**Not applicable to iPad Mini

People on this board can assume that it is the current model, the iPad 4 on sale. But how about the iPad 2? Maybe some overstock iPad 3 models. Who knows for sure!

The typical consumer has no idea of the differences.
jdag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:27 AM   #4
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
I am sure that their product and marketing teams have much better insight than I have...but I find it utterly confusing that they've muddied the naming convention of the iPad so significantly.

Try reading the ad circulars in the Sunday paper next week. You may see something like this:

Get a $30 gift card with purchase of any iPad**
**Not applicable to iPad Mini

People on this board can assume that it is the current model, the iPad 4 on sale. But how about the iPad 2? Maybe some overstock iPad 3 models. Who knows for sure!

The typical consumer has no idea of the differences.
But I'm sure the consumers haven't been confused by which shuffle, nano, ipod (classic), touch, iMac, Mini, MacBook or Pro to buy because they've never been hit with a number other than after the name (ie. year or generation number). I think it made the most sense to get to the naming scheme they have now for the iPad as now you just look for the info in the parenthesis for which model you're buying. iPad with Retina display (x generation). iPad Mini (x generation). As opposed to iPad 3,4,5,6,7,8 and so on.
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

"5th generation iPad" and simply "iPad" in their marketing thereafter.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Solomani
macrumors 68000

iPad 4 (2012) = "The New iPad"

iPad 5 (2013) = "The Newer iPad"

iPad 6 (2014?) = "The Newest iPad"
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:31 AM   #7
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
iPad 4 (2012) = "The New iPad"

iPad 5 (2013) = "The Newer iPad"

iPad 6 (2014?) = "The Newest iPad"
I'm still waiting for the "The New iPad after the Next" hehe.
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:25 PM   #8
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

I think it will be the Newł iPad.
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
But I'm sure the consumers haven't been confused by which shuffle, nano, ipod (classic), touch, iMac, Mini, MacBook or Pro to buy because they've never been hit with a number other than after the name (ie. year or generation number). I think it made the most sense to get to the naming scheme they have now for the iPad as now you just look for the info in the parenthesis for which model you're buying. iPad with Retina display (x generation). iPad Mini (x generation). As opposed to iPad 3,4,5,6,7,8 and so on.
That would sound good. Would be weird at first though
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:50 PM   #10
jdag
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
I agree...your addition of (x generation) makes perfect sense...but not what's done!
jdag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:50 PM   #11
bobby68
macrumors member

iPad
bobby68 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:14 PM   #12
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
"5th generation iPad" and simply "iPad" in their marketing thereafter.
Yep. The third-generation iPad also has the name "iPad". And the fourth-generation too has the name "iPad".
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad