Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Any ideas? They seem to be going the "iPad with Retina Display" route. That's what they did on their iPad 3 and iPad 4. Will it be the same way with the iPad 5? Just "The New iPad" or "iPad with Retina Display"?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Any ideas? They seem to be going the "iPad with Retina Display" route. That's what they did on their iPad 3 and iPad 4. Will it be the same way with the iPad 5? Just "The New iPad" or "iPad with Retina Display"?

Either "The New iPad" or "iPad with Retina", I'd guess.

Eventually, they're just going to go to "iPad (Date)" like they do with their Macs.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I am sure that their product and marketing teams have much better insight than I have...but I find it utterly confusing that they've muddied the naming convention of the iPad so significantly.

Try reading the ad circulars in the Sunday paper next week. You may see something like this:

Get a $30 gift card with purchase of any iPad**
**Not applicable to iPad Mini

People on this board can assume that it is the current model, the iPad 4 on sale. But how about the iPad 2? Maybe some overstock iPad 3 models. Who knows for sure!

The typical consumer has no idea of the differences.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I am sure that their product and marketing teams have much better insight than I have...but I find it utterly confusing that they've muddied the naming convention of the iPad so significantly.

Try reading the ad circulars in the Sunday paper next week. You may see something like this:

Get a $30 gift card with purchase of any iPad**
**Not applicable to iPad Mini

People on this board can assume that it is the current model, the iPad 4 on sale. But how about the iPad 2? Maybe some overstock iPad 3 models. Who knows for sure!

The typical consumer has no idea of the differences.

But I'm sure the consumers haven't been confused by which shuffle, nano, ipod (classic), touch, iMac, Mini, MacBook or Pro to buy because they've never been hit with a number other than after the name (ie. year or generation number). I think it made the most sense to get to the naming scheme they have now for the iPad as now you just look for the info in the parenthesis for which model you're buying. iPad with Retina display (x generation). iPad Mini (x generation). As opposed to iPad 3,4,5,6,7,8 and so on.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
But I'm sure the consumers haven't been confused by which shuffle, nano, ipod (classic), touch, iMac, Mini, MacBook or Pro to buy because they've never been hit with a number other than after the name (ie. year or generation number). I think it made the most sense to get to the naming scheme they have now for the iPad as now you just look for the info in the parenthesis for which model you're buying. iPad with Retina display (x generation). iPad Mini (x generation). As opposed to iPad 3,4,5,6,7,8 and so on.

That would sound good. Would be weird at first though

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012

I agree...your addition of (x generation) makes perfect sense...but not what's done!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.