Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
too much like Chipotle.

mmm... Chipotle....

Chipotle gets their tomatoes (and perhaps other ingredients) from companies that use forced human traffic labor. You shouldn't give them your money!

And they're not similar to (or nearly as good as) real Mexican food. They're an "upscale" Taco Bell.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This is a real problem that the U.S. computer industry has. There are a LOT of really smart, well-educated people all over the planet and only so many immigration slots into the US each year. There are tons of stories of U.S. companies hiring foreigners they need for a short time, and then watching as they're forced to go home where they, of course, start a competing company. So they now have a competitor instead of an employee, and there's nothing they can do about it.

The US governments knows this is a problem, immigration services has been working with silicon valley entrepreneurs for the last year to figure out ways to help avoid these problems. But as civil servants, the best they can do is make minor adjustments, only Congress can make big changes to immigration law.

Given all this, what Apple is doing makes perfect sense. This really isn't a money-saving thing like the factories are. Rather, it's a way to tap into talent that they have no way of bringing to California.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
A server center in China?!? The amount of corporate espionage this will allow will be staggering. Already no western business leader should take anything but a loaner electronic device with them to China. Assume that all emails are copied while there. And then hand over all devices to their IT department upon return to be completely erased and reformatted. That is now basically standard practice for many large US companies. How in the world can you do collaborative research with folks living there knowing that eventually all of their devices will be bugged?

Seriously, every tech company will be targeting the Apple engineers as will the Chinese government. And with the folks living there, it will be easy to eventually breach any security plans.

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
i miss the pride in owning a usa-built apple computer.

Apple built all their computers in fremont, california for many years, and employed us workers. Now a foxconn factory in a foreign land employs non-us workers who earn menial wages and work 17 hours a day sometimes to build hardware for a company that has turned into a money-focused and money-driven machine.

Just my take.

+1

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
If Apple goes through with this, I'll go on record and predict that Apple's next major non-product issue will be Smog-gate, or The Airpocalypse:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1526043/

Why Apple wants to go through this with that beast hanging over them (figuratively and literally) is beyond me, and a question that may need to be asked.

BL.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
i'm happy to hear that apple is looking to increase r and d spending!

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
This is a real problem that the U.S. computer industry has. There are a LOT of really smart, well-educated people all over the planet and only so many immigration slots into the US each year. There are tons of stories of U.S. companies hiring foreigners they need for a short time, and then watching as they're forced to go home where they, of course, start a competing company. So they now have a competitor instead of an employee, and there's nothing they can do about it.

The US governments knows this is a problem, immigration services has been working with silicon valley entrepreneurs for the last year to figure out ways to help avoid these problems. But as civil servants, the best they can do is make minor adjustments, only Congress can make big changes to immigration law.

Given all this, what Apple is doing makes perfect sense. This really isn't a money-saving thing like the factories are. Rather, it's a way to tap into talent that they have no way of bringing to California.

Do you really believe R & D workers in China will be payed as much as Apple R & D workers get paid in California?

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Do you really believe R & D workers in China will be payed as much as Apple R & D workers get paid in California?

Do you believe that R&D workers in California work as hard as R&D workers in China?

Seems to me in the short run this is win-win (cost & talent) for Apple. In the long run, it's probably very bad.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Apple should be very careful that they don't share their secrets from CA with these centers...

Well the chinese tempt them with a huge market...and end up stealing the technology.

Yes, like Apple does not do that too...

Steve Jobs: Good artists copy great artists steal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

All companies do some form of espionage or not.

Already no western business leader should take anything but a loaner electronic device with them to China. Assume that all emails are copied while there. And then hand over all devices to their IT department upon return to be completely erased and reformatted. That is now basically standard practice for many large US companies.

I'm pretty sure this is not standard practice... unfortunately that executive may not be using a Blackberry anymore ;-)

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Yes, like Apple does not do that too...

Steve Jobs: Good artists copy great artists steal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

All companies do some form of espionage or not.

I'm pretty sure this is not standard practice... unfortunately that executive may not be using a Blackberry anymore ;-)

That was more of a statement than a company policy. Apple has people working in disguise in other companies to steal their technology? Don't think so.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

If they're educated (as R&D jobs would require) then there are many countries around the globe they could go to to find good work so, no, I don't believe they'd be working dirt cheap.

For example, the country of Chile is literally giving tech people money to move there and start a business. The tech-elite have more options than ever these days, I can't imagine how Apple would be able to pay them a small salary with so many opportunities out there.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
That was more of a statement than a company policy. Apple has people working in disguise in other companies to steal their technology? Don't think so.

I'm sure they have their eyes on the market and know what the competition is doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.