Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiMiN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Hey guys, I want to connect my MBP to my TV as maybe a secondary display. I was wondering what the best Thunderbolt-to-HDMI cables there were out there?

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
The MDP to HMDI adapter supporting audio over HDMI from Monoprice and Moshi are very well accepted, but I don't know the best one, as that is quite subjective.
Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters can be bought online from:
MDP to VGA adapter from Apple
MDP to DVI adapter from Apple
MDP to Dual-Link-DVI adapter from Apple

Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support adapter from the Apple Online Store

Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from Monoprice - *NOTE* This product does NOT support audio for Macs that outputs audio through the Mini DisplayPort.
Mini Displayport Male and USB Male/Toslink Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter from Monoprice
Mini Displayport Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter from Monoprice - *NOTE* Will only support 2 channel stereo. Will not support 5.1 Dolby Surround like the above adapter.

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cables from Monoprice

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"
from
Also know, that a TV is not an ideal computer display except for video or photos. Text might be quite blurry depending on the size of the TV and its resolution, as proper computer displays with 1920 x 1200/1080 pixel are between 22" and 24", while TVs having that resolution are often more than 30"/35".

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I've been very happy with the one from Monoprice. IIRC several existing threads discuss them. Haven't used others so I can't compare for the OP. OP should clarify criteria for best given its highly subjective nature.

BigSaintDogs

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2011
Rhode Island, USA
Mini Display port to HDMI Cable

I bought the 10' mini display cable to HDMI at Best buy (I was on the road) and use it to connect to Hotel room TVs. It works great. I use it to display Video steaming while I work on my MBA.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
If you get the thunderbolt to hdmi adapter it just depends on your hdmi cable. I have bought everything from $5 hdmi to $50 hdmi cables and never seen a difference. But heres some info on hdmi:

what is hdmi

Basically now days all your hdmi's are 1.4 or 1.4a

As far as the adapter, I would just get the apple one. It seems like the knockoffs either work or they don't, so its trial and error.

the cable I will be trying:

no adapter TB to hdmi cable

Personally I hate the adapters, but I guess they have less of a fail rate than these cables. After reading reviews it seems like a buyer beware product. Some people love it and others curse the sellers/makers up and down.

I'm sure you can search many other places than amazon but as far as quality I don't see any of these all in one cables being that great, or very reliable. I am willing to take that chance because it is fairly cheap. If it doesn't work then I will go the adapter route, with a decent hdmi cable... and by decent I mean build quality and cable strength. Like Monster, who makes a good $25 hdmi cable.

let us know what you decide to do.

kralnor johnson

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
You won't notice a difference between $5 and $50 cables because HDMI is digital... it either works, or it doesn't. If it connects properly, you're going to get the best picture possible given your equipment. If it doesn't, you're getting a blank screen. That being said, you want it to work, so spending a bit more money isn't necessarily foolish if it is for build quality rather than some Monster Cable marketing BS about gold plated connectors or co2 gas proctection from frequency interference.

Follow the above advice and read customer ratings of the product you are considering, that is honestly the best way to pick.

Nov 28, 2010
located
You won't notice a difference between $5 and $50 cables because HDMI is digital... it either works, or it doesn't. If it connects properly, you're going to get the best picture possible given your equipment. If it doesn't, you're getting a blank screen. That being said, you want it to work, so spending a bit more money isn't necessarily foolish if it is for build quality rather than some Monster Cable marketing BS about gold plated connectors or co2 gas proctection from frequency interference.

Follow the above advice and read customer ratings of the product you are considering, that is honestly the best way to pick.

Why go through all the trouble registering here for one post in a thread, where the Original Poster (OP) probably already found a solution a month before your post?

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
If you get the thunderbolt to hdmi adapter it just depends on your hdmi cable. I have bought everything from $5 hdmi to $50 hdmi cables and never seen a difference. But heres some info on hdmi:

what is hdmi

Basically now days all your hdmi's are 1.4 or 1.4a

As far as the adapter, I would just get the apple one. It seems like the knockoffs either work or they don't, so its trial and error.

the cable I will be trying:

no adapter TB to hdmi cable

Personally I hate the adapters, but I guess they have less of a fail rate than these cables. After reading reviews it seems like a buyer beware product. Some people love it and others curse the sellers/makers up and down.

I'm sure you can search many other places than amazon but as far as quality I don't see any of these all in one cables being that great, or very reliable. I am willing to take that chance because it is fairly cheap. If it doesn't work then I will go the adapter route, with a decent hdmi cable... and by decent I mean build quality and cable strength. Like Monster, who makes a good $25 hdmi cable.

let us know what you decide to do.

I personally love it and have a cable like that, been working for over 1year now without any issues.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Hey guys, I want to connect my MBP to my TV as maybe a secondary display. I was wondering what the best Thunderbolt-to-HDMI cables there were out there?

Thanks.

Apple does release TBT-to-HDMI adapter, it's the best in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.