Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
As long as they don't artificially crippled my less than a year old phone 5, they can release any new phone and iOS version.

Now, I don't expect my phone to support new hardware related features, such as NFC... (Just an example, don't reply with "why would you want that" or "this isn't widely used yet", just an effing example!)

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I have been an iPhone user since the 3g, and the 5 was the first time where I did not have the "I've got to have that!" mystique. As a matter of fact, I am done with the iPhone. I just don't give a rip that the iPhone 5 is perfectly put together from 200 possible pieces, what I care about is functionality. I will toss the dice on the Galaxy S4 for a while (when that comes out)

There just seems to be nothing innovating coming out of Cupertino as of late. I am pissed that they dropped the 17" MBP and even more pissed that they decided to make the current generation of MBP, non user upgradable. I sure hope that when my '09 17" MBP dies that they will still have 17" refurbs because I don't want to have to move back to Windows, but I refuse to be shackled to a 15" laptop.

On a positive note for Apple, I really like the new iMac's, sleek and sexy... to bad I can't say that about anything else they have currently.

I agree with the loss of the 17, but there is no way I'll move to Windows PCs (hardware-wise at least). The hardware is just not equivalent, in my opinion.

Android phones are getting better and better, but I still don't think that the additional features they provide are worth sacrificing the security, smoothness, and ecosystem that iOS provides. Granted, this is just my choice, and everyone has to individually weigh the pros and cons.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I have been an iPhone user since the 3g, and the 5 was the first time where I did not have the "I've got to have that!" mystique. As a matter of fact, I am done with the iPhone. I just don't give a rip that the iPhone 5 is perfectly put together from 200 possible pieces, what I care about is functionality. I will toss the dice on the Galaxy S4 for a while (when that comes out)

There just seems to be nothing innovating coming out of Cupertino as of late. I am pissed that they dropped the 17" MBP and even more pissed that they decided to make the current generation of MBP, non user upgradable. I sure hope that when my '09 17" MBP dies that they will still have 17" refurbs because I don't want to have to move back to Windows, but I refuse to be shackled to a 15" laptop.

On a positive note for Apple, I really like the new iMac's, sleek and sexy... to bad I can't say that about anything else they have currently.

When the iPhone 4S was announced with the same design and still no LTE... people said Apple missed the boat.

Now that the iPhone 5 has a new design after 2 years and finally has LTE... and people are saying "meh... it's not a big enough upgrade"

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I think Apple might honestly skip the 5S this time.

I see iOS 7 coming on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6m or iPhone mini.

The iPhone 6m would be the 'mini' - probably a 3.5" screen compared to the 6 with a 4" screen. The 3.5" probably won't have retina, no LTE, and be 'cheaper' by $100-$150.

iOS 7 better blow away or else I think people will lose faith, including me.

Everyone I talk to seems like the 3.5" version better. I got used to the 4" but find my fingers can get stretched at times reaching corners.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Maybe...maybe not. Depends on if they preview it only or plan on releasing it before the 6. Considering it's going to be a new OS completely with Ive design...I think you might see a separate event for it.

----------

Many of us refuse to be shacked to that boat anchor... known as the 17" MBP.

Good for you.

But it was such a beautiful, speedy, upgrade-able boat anchor that I want my shackles back!:D

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I doubt it - not only would a 4.8 inch display be ridiculous looking and ridiculously awkward to use, but it would completely contradict apple's "thumbs" ad campaign.

I also find it very irritating how, for example, Samsung advertise their Galaxy S III screen to be "true hd" and using it as an excuse to slam apple, completely ignoring the fact that the iPhone's retina display in ppi is superior. :rolleyes:

You realize that earlier iPhones wouldn't work with that Thumb ad, right?

Original iPhone width: 61.0 mm (2.40 in) W
iPhone 5 width: 58.6 mm (2.31 in) W

This thumb ad was a lame one-off attempt to counter larger screens inevitable to enter the market that no manner of realistic height adjustment would make sense.

Instead of Apple scaling up to preserve the 4S height to width ratio:

115.2 mm (4.54 in) H
58.66 mm (2.309 in) W

Ivy and company chose:

123.8 mm (4.87 in) H
58.6 mm (2.31 in) W

Keeping the original H/W ratios would have required [and they would have been hugely praised by larger screen lovers] the W in the iPhone 5 to be 2.477 W.

In fact, that would have provided a mor rugged feel in one's hand, very minimal weight difference to the 4S and provided an even greater screen size on the hypotenuse and overall surface area.

The first reaction I had with the iPhone 5 was it was too small in my hand. I have medium to large hands in gloves and the 5 felt too thin in it's thickness.

And sure enough:

iPhone 4/4S 9.3 mm (0.37 in) D
iPhone 5 7.6 mm (0.30 in) D

The iPhone 11.6 mm (0.46 in) D
The iPhone 3G/3GS 12.3 mm (0.48 in) D

The sweet spot was the 4/4S with it's 9.3 mm Depth. They over refined it with the iPhone 5. They just had to be thinner for no apparent advantage other than to be thinner than Samsung.

IT'S TOO THIN. It gives a feeling of a fragile smartphone, whereas the 4/4s gave the feeling of a solidly built smartphone.

Move back to the 9.3 mm Depth and scale out the width appropriately thus requiring 2 hands for truly operating the texting area and only the using one hand via holding to talk or listen to the audio/and or watching a video and then people will feel they have purchased a solid product.

Throw in improved internal guts as expected, with a more durable glass and double the RAM along with the new CPU/GPGPU SoC, then all this media led propaganda will die down.

I don't know a soul who would complain about a 4S depth with a wider display and restored non edge-to-edge display if this depth includes a serious jump in battery life and system power opening up more services on the phone.

Steve spent years resolving the feel and dimensions and to throw that away to be a race to ultra thin is something only Ivy would have done.

More to the point, the weight of the 4S was 140 grams. The weight of the 5 is 112 grams.

``Houston. We have a problem.''

It's too light, too thin and feels off in one's hand. Restore that weight with more depth, bigger battery, upgrades to the internals with double the RAM and Apple will dominate the industry.

When the iPhone 4S was announced with the same design and still no LTE... people said Apple missed the boat.

Now that the iPhone 5 has a new design after 2 years and finally has LTE... and people are saying "meh... it's not a big enough upgrade"

I would not consider the iPhone 5 a new design. For a new design, to me, it would need to be the 4 compared to a 3g(s), that's a new design. It's the same stagnent, long in the tooth design going on 3 years now. I get they want to maximize the R&D dollars for the unibody phone, but "Thiner and lighter" does not automatically get the jaw dropping response it once did.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'd be surprised if the next iPhone didn't have NFC. Getting more useful, and its not just for mobile payments.

If Apple are going with 2x yearly updates of iPads, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same with iPhones. The changes don't have to be dramatic.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Looking at history, the iPhone 4S added a faster dual processor, a faster GPU, a better camera, some voice processing for Siri, and gyros, as its main upgrades over the previous iPhone 4 product. Otherwise a nearly identical form factor and feature set. Essentially a spec bump with a bit of support for newer software.

What similar stuff could they do to spec bump the 5?

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I think Apple might honestly skip the 5S this time.

I see iOS 7 coming on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6m or iPhone mini.

The iPhone 6m would be the 'mini' - probably a 3.5" screen compared to the 6 with a 4" screen. The 3.5" probably won't have retina, no LTE, and be 'cheaper' by $100-$150.

iOS 7 better blow away or else I think people will lose faith, including me.

Everyone I talk to seems like the 3.5" version better. I got used to the 4" but find my fingers can get stretched at times reaching corners.

I agree with all you said. I don't think there will be an S this time around. I also like the idea of the mid-range phone being 3.5 inches HSPA+, high end one being 4 inches LTE, and of course different processor.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
no one said that the iPhone is a horrible device, just getting a little long in the tooth for my liking. The iPhone works fantastic, iOS is a great OS, I just happen to like setting up my phone the way that I want it, and not the way others tell me how to run it. If you are one of those folks who are comfortable with Apple, cool brother, I get it, but let's be honest, Apple is resting on their (well deserved) laurels for my liking.

And who cares how much money Apple has, what does that have to do with anything? I don't care if they are the wealthiest or poorest company on the planet. It would be nice for something new to come out of Apple for a change instead of another law suit in my opinion.

I brought up money because everyday I read comments saying "Apple has so much money why can't they...." Etc etc.

But I do agree with you. I think Apple could be doing more with innovating whether it be software or hardware. Some battery innovation would be very nice. Something more than FB integration and 'Shared Photo Stream'.

This year will be very telling.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
Why wait on the larger screen? Summer may be too soon but clearly with the proliferation of larger screens, it's something display makers are already doing.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Like it or not, large displays are becoming the norm.

Says, you. If that's the case, then I'll happily walk around the village sporting my scarlet 'A' hanging from my neck indicating my abnormality because the phone in my pocket doesn't look like I've stuffed a cutting board down my pants.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
No one probably bought the 17" MBP other than you. That thing was a behemoth, and they upped the screen resolution on the 15" to exceed it.

I guess it was him and me only.:D

Seriously, it may have been niche, but nothing can replace it. Not the 15 rMBP, not any Windows laptop, nothing. Size matters. ;)

I'd rather have the behemoth (or a retina, "smaller" behemoth) than not.

We lost the choice, which is what upsets me. I understand the financials of it, but the 17's merits are unmatched. Just like some want a larger screened iPhone (and we don't get the choice), a few, ok very few, want a bigger screen MBP. Resolution does not make up for actual size.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
honestly all I want to see is an updated iOS 7. Com'on think outside the box and give us an update... hopefully something innovative.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Man I love my apple products and hate android, but APPLE HAS TO DO SOMETHING more innovative if they want to keep people's attention.
Yeah, Apple innovate, bring on iPhone shuffle! :)

I'm wondering how fast the guys winning about stagnant apple are improving their own lives? Radical new changes every year? ;)

It's like saying that BMW is stagnating because they keep making the same boring cars for years.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Doesnt bother me, Im waiting for the iPhone 6 before I upgrade. The iPhone 5 does not have enough compelling reasons to upgrade from my iPhone 4 considering I dont need siri or apple maps (google maps are way better anyways).

I am waiting too (from a 4s under-contract still). The 5 screen size is not big enough for me. I think the 1-hand use issue is overrated as well.

But I disagree about Google Maps and Siri.

Turn-by-turn is worth every penny for me. And when I only have one hand available to use the phone, I use Siri. Otherwise, I'm using the phone with 2 hands anyway.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I heard about the Xperia Z and it made me honk 'wow'... Can't we stop with the s models and have an iPhone 6 at the end of 2013 / start of 2014 that's breath taking, and not just updates for the sake of updates?

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
So wait, new iPad, new iPad Mini, AND new iPhones in March? All after they just updated the Mac Mini and iMac lineup?

Gonna be a slow rest of the year.

Seriously, no way Apple updates all three of their flagship devices in the same 2-3 month window. How will the bolster the financials the other 9 months for the investors?

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
<sarcasm> But my iPhone isn't even 6 months old! I can't afford a new iphone this summer! I'll have to kill myself because I have a lame outdated iPhone </sarcasm>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.