Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Washac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Avernum The Complete Saga on Mac/Win

Avernum the Complete Saga all six games for $7.99/4.96

So if anybody fancies a bit of old style RPG dungeon crawling with a story then get on over to GOG.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/avernum_the_complete_saga

__________________
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6 GB RAM 24inch ACD Mavericks 10.9.5/XFX Radeon HD 6870, HD-687A-ZDFC-20inch Alu iMac Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Washac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:08 PM   #2
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
Avernum the Complete Saga all six games for $7.99/4.96

So if anybody fancies a bit of old style RPG dungeon crawling with a story then get on over to GOG.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/avernum_the_complete_saga

Lovely series - problem is: the GOG version is the PC one, when everyone and their dog knows that Avernum and every other Spiderweb game were released on the Mac first.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Washac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
Lovely series - problem is: the GOG version is the PC one, when everyone and their dog knows that Avernum and every other Spiderweb game were released on the Mac first.
No its available for Mac and PC, downdloading the Mac version now.

Just follow my link it says for Mac and PC.

Geneforge is PC only at GOG but not Avernum.
__________________
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6 GB RAM 24inch ACD Mavericks 10.9.5/XFX Radeon HD 6870, HD-687A-ZDFC-20inch Alu iMac Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Washac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:56 PM   #4
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
No its available for Mac and PC, downdloading the Mac version now.

Just follow my link it says for Mac and PC.

Geneforge is PC only at GOG but not Avernum.
No, I mean the version used by GOG for the Mac - it's the PC one, as everything else over there.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Washac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
No, I mean the version used by GOG for the Mac - it's the PC one, as everything else over there.
Yes. sorry you are correct they running under Wine, very starnge when there are the Mac originals as you say.

I can only assume because these are old games they have them running under Wine because later OS and has no Rosetta, and for the later used Intel CPUs.

EDIT: It looks like it is only 1, 2 and 3 which are under wine.
__________________
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6 GB RAM 24inch ACD Mavericks 10.9.5/XFX Radeon HD 6870, HD-687A-ZDFC-20inch Alu iMac Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Last edited by Washac; Jan 15, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
Washac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:16 PM   #6
cluthz
macrumors 68040
 
cluthz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Norway
Send a message via MSN to cluthz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
Yes. sorry you are correct they running under Wine, very starnge when there are the Mac originals as you say.

I can only assume because these are old games they have them running under Wine because later OS and has no Rosetta, and for the later used Intel CPUs.
Are all games wine, as version 4,5 and 6 are intel native?
__________________
-tb
MacBook Air 13" i5 osx10.7.5
HackPro 4.3GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX780GHz Edition, 3x SSD , win7+osx10.9.2
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:17 PM   #7
Cougarcat
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
No, I mean the version used by GOG for the Mac - it's the PC one, as everything else over there.
If there are native Mac versions, GoG will use them. King's Bounty, for example, is native.

The reason Avernum Complete uses Wine is that the Avernum 1-3 were never updated for intel macs. Are the later games in the series on GoG native? I can't check, but I would imagine they are. If not, that's kinda strange.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Washac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
If there are native Mac versions, GoG will use them. King's Bounty, for example, is native.

The reason Avernum Complete uses Wine is that the Avernum 1-3 were never updated for intel macs. Are the later games in the series on GoG native? I can't check, but I would imagine they are. If not, that's kinda strange.
Yup, I updated my post above it is indeed only 1,2 and 3 that Wine uses for my reasons given above.
__________________
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6 GB RAM 24inch ACD Mavericks 10.9.5/XFX Radeon HD 6870, HD-687A-ZDFC-20inch Alu iMac Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Last edited by Washac; Jan 16, 2013 at 01:51 AM.
Washac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:28 PM   #9
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
If there are native Mac versions, GoG will use them. King's Bounty, for example, is native.

The reason Avernum Complete uses Wine is that the Avernum 1-3 were never updated for intel macs. Are the later games in the series on GoG native? I can't check, but I would imagine they are. If not, that's kinda strange.
If this is true, I will feel happier; as long as the only reason is that they use WINE for PowerPC Mac versions.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Cougarcat
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
If this is true, I will feel happier; as long as the only reason is that they use WINE for PowerPC Mac versions.
This interview about GoG coming to the mac is worth checking out:

http://www.insidemacgames.com/featur...?ID=592&Page=1
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:56 AM   #11
Washac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
If this is true, I will feel happier; as long as the only reason is that they use WINE for PowerPC Mac versions.
I have looked at the package contents of 1 to 6 and Blades of Avernum which you get in the Saga package

The 1 to 3 are wine packed, the rest are not.
__________________
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6 GB RAM 24inch ACD Mavericks 10.9.5/XFX Radeon HD 6870, HD-687A-ZDFC-20inch Alu iMac Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Washac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Washac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
If this is true, I will feel happier; as long as the only reason is that they use WINE for PowerPC Mac versions.
Here you go..........

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/newstuff.shtml
__________________
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6 GB RAM 24inch ACD Mavericks 10.9.5/XFX Radeon HD 6870, HD-687A-ZDFC-20inch Alu iMac Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Washac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:58 PM   #13
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
Great, thanks!
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is This My Mac App List Complete ? augustya Mac Applications and Mac App Store 11 Feb 15, 2014 02:35 PM
'LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga' Arrives in U.S. App Store MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 12 Dec 12, 2013 11:24 AM
Complete: Mac Pro 3,1 Upgrades NOTNlCE Mac Pro 8 Nov 29, 2013 10:25 AM
Wing Commander Saga - Mac? jgw1283 Mac and PC Games 1 Oct 1, 2012 02:37 AM
Complete Mac Novice!!! richchaplain Mac mini 1 Sep 19, 2012 05:15 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC