Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1
merrickdrfc
macrumors 6502

Unhappy Are the iPhone 5 buttons weak?

Purchased my iPhone 5 (32 GB, White) in early November last year, had absolutely no problems with it, loved using it. Came to about 2 weeks ago and the lock button started playing up, only slightly, but this worsened as it always does and it eventually became unusable around last weekend so I booked into a genius appointment on Monday.

Went to the appointment, got my phone replaced no questions asked. And now I sit here 3 days later with a phone that I want to throw against a wall. This time, the home button has stopped working all together. This wasn't a gradual problem, worked fine one minute and then not at all after. I've got another genius appointment tomorrow for my mac, so going to see what they say tomorrow, will be asking for a refund if they do not replace it. Trekked to my nearest Apple Store 3 times the last week for genius appointments, really not amused!

Has anybody else had any problems with the buttons on the iPhone 5 or have I just been unlucky?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:21 PM   #2
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrickdrfc View Post
Purchased my iPhone 5 (32 GB, White) in early November last year, had absolutely no problems with it, loved using it. Came to about 2 weeks ago and the lock button started playing up, only slightly, but this worsened as it always does and it eventually became unusable around last weekend so I booked into a genius appointment on Monday.

Went to the appointment, got my phone replaced no questions asked. And now I sit here 3 days later with a phone that I want to throw against a wall. This time, the home button has stopped working all together. This wasn't a gradual problem, worked fine one minute and then not at all after. I've got another genius appointment tomorrow for my mac, so going to see what they say tomorrow, will be asking for a refund if they do not replace it. Trekked to my nearest Apple Store 3 times the last week for genius appointments, really not amused!

Has anybody else had any problems with the buttons on the iPhone 5 or have I just been unlucky?
First time I hear of this for an iPhone 5, I had the same issues with my iPhone 4 in the past.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:48 PM   #3
ericg301
macrumors 6502

I literally just got back from replacing my iPhone 5 for a broken wake/sleep button.
ericg301 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Ntombi
macrumors 68020

I haven't had a problem with it, and I haven't heard of anyone else having trouble either.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a

Two of the past iPhone 5s I've had prior to replacement had power/lock buttons that were sunk in. They literally were sunk in to the phone. Then the last one had a home button that would only press on the left side, the right side was jammed. On my fourth replacement now and the phone is flawless, finally. Really not what I expected a $750 phone to put me through.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:13 PM   #6
uscmba02
macrumors newbie

Got a new iPhone 5 today from apple. Lock button gradually quit working. First I had to push it at an angle to get it to lock, then it quit working completely.

On the upside, Apple was great. Sent me another phone in 2 days.
uscmba02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Menel
macrumors 68040

Yea, I had to have mine warrantied.

Seen a lot of problems with sleep/wake button on forums.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:22 PM   #8
chumawumba
Banned

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ain-t-Nobody-Got-Time-Fo-Dat-sweet-brown-31241125-480-330.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	389354  
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:27 PM   #9
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
If it makes you feel any better, this is a pretty common problem with smartphones in general. It's kinda ironic considering they have just one or two buttons to function, and yet somehow they screw that up anyway. xD

The power and home buttons on smartphones should be extremely durable and made to outlast the phone, not some piece of junk. Sorry to hear you had to deal with that, and unfortunately nobody yet makes phones with good power buttons.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:24 PM   #10
zamudiovsky
macrumors regular

I got mine replaced for the lock button too.
It gradually stopped working until it just wouldn't do anything, got it replaced no questions asked!
zamudiovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:43 PM   #11
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG4 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, this is a pretty common problem with smartphones in general. It's kinda ironic considering they have just one or two buttons to function, and yet somehow they screw that up anyway. xD

The power and home buttons on smartphones should be extremely durable and made to outlast the phone, not some piece of junk. Sorry to hear you had to deal with that, and unfortunately nobody yet makes phones with good power buttons.
That's dishonest what you said. It's not a general smartphone issue, it is poor design and workmanship by Apple. It is common knowledge on this forum that the iPhone buttons fail very easily, something not seen commonly in other phones. There are lots of threads here that pop up every week about failed iPhone buttons.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:53 PM   #12
androcathr
macrumors newbie

I haven't heard of anyone else having trouble either.[img]http://www.**********/a13.jpg[/img]
androcathr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:18 AM   #13
itzAstonish
macrumors member

Got one on Craigslist with the lock problem. Saw three people in line that day with the same problem, so it doesn't seem to be uncommon. Thankfully apple offers great customer service
itzAstonish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:16 AM   #14
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
That's dishonest what you said. It's not a general smartphone issue, it is poor design and workmanship by Apple. It is common knowledge on this forum that the iPhone buttons fail very easily, something not seen commonly in other phones. There are lots of threads here that pop up every week about failed iPhone buttons.
Hang out at xda or search google for broken power button. It happens a lot on all kinds of smartphones, which is really screwed up. I also agree it's unacceptable, and that was the tone of my post actually.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:38 AM   #15
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG4 View Post
Hang out at xda or search google for broken power button. It happens a lot on all kinds of smartphones, which is really screwed up. I also agree it's unacceptable, and that was the tone of my post actually.
Ignore him, this "Dude" takes every opportunity to trash Apple (and this is a problem for them as you indicated) and play up the competition even when they have the same problem.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:52 AM   #16
tstathakis
macrumors newbie

OP I had the same issue, the power button just randomly started acting up. Like most said before, get a Genius appointment and get it switched out. I just did this yesterday and they swapped it no questions asked.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:57 AM   #17
bsmith4832
macrumors member

Stumbled on this thread because just this morning my Sleep/Wake button started acting up.

Worked 100% flawless since launch day, then randomly this morning if I press on the right side of the button, nothing happens. Left half of the button works fine.

These are the times when I'm glad Apple is always pretty good with warranty issues.

I've had Home button issues with multiple iP4's in the past... I'm not that worked up about it... they get used hard.
bsmith4832 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:18 AM   #18
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

Same here, launch day phone, perfect condition, Sleep/Wake button has started not responding and is getting gradually worse.

Funny how these threads have started to pop up now.

Have a genius appointment on Monday. Saying that if the Sleep/Wake button fails every few months that means I'll keep getting a mint condition replacement every so often. Great for resale value IPHONE 5 ONLY 2MONTHS OLD!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:23 AM   #19
maxosx
macrumors 68020

IPhone 5:

Excellent buttons, even better phone.

That's my experience
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:47 PM   #20
merrickdrfc
macrumors 6502

Just to say the genius took one look after hearing my story and replaced the phone, he did however tell me that they now repair home button issues on the 5.

Got a flawless replacement with both buttons behaving up to now. Absolutely love the phone except for the issues I had.
merrickdrfc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:43 AM   #21
ElectroGeo
macrumors newbie

My iPhone 5 started having this problem about a month ago. Got it on release day. Left side of button works fine and the middle to right doesn't work at all. Should I get it replaced or should I wait until they fix the issues with the refurbs too?

Or have they fixed this hardware problem already on the newer models?
ElectroGeo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:37 AM   #22
greaneto
macrumors newbie

Lock button gradually quit working.
greaneto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:43 AM   #23
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Yea, I kinda like the idea of them fixing them. If you have an otherwise flawless phone, that's ok.. I dunno about the 5, but the 4 unscrewed apart. Does the 5?

When my first Note 2's power button stopped working I REALLY wanted to just replace the button since the phone was great otherwise, but since it was so new I didn't want to do that...

kinda wish I had now lol.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
buttons, home button, iphone 5, lock button